• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

New toy...

DIYDAVE

Picked up one of these: https://www.amazon.com/HomCom-Heavy-Torque-Multiplier-Wrench/dp/B00G3NA6C0 at the york farm show. Been looking at them, on line, for a couple weeks. Price on amazon went down, between when I looked, and when I bought. Still did't do too bad(paid $60), and I like to look at chinese stuff before I buy it... its got all the sockets I need to take the budds off my Isuzu NPR, and I may be using it for other stuff, too. Gotta try it out on a big stuck bolt on a plow, soon, just wanna see what its capable of...:D

Ronsii

Occupation
s/e Heavy equipment operator
I picked up one of the $30 ones off ebay, wouldn't work with the wheels I wanted it for (forklift) but seems to work great for other things. i know the chinstructions warn about putting more than 'hand' torque on the input... they just don't say what hand torque is ;-)

old-iron-habit

Occupation
Retired Cons't. Supt./Hospitals
I ordered one this morning. Will see how it turns out. There are times I could use one. Do they work for tightening also. I could see a use on equipment wheels for getting them tight enough.

DIYDAVE

For me, "hand torque" is about 300 ft lbs. I know this, cause I once had to torque a wheel motor nut to that, and with a cheater bar, on the 3/4" torque wrench, with a long cheater bar, it was all I could do to get it there...

As far as tightening goes, you have to put the leverage leg on the other side of the nut. I only torque the budds on my truck, to the limit of my 275 lb arse, on the stock lug wrench...:D

thepumpguysc

Occupation
Master Inj.Pump rebuilder
Back before all my back surgerys, I could torque the drive nut on a Bosch injection pump to 200ftlbs w/ 1 hand, w/ a 1/2 in drive snapon t. wrench.. day in & day out..
Might be a reason my back is screwed up, eh?? Lol
NOW it takes 2 hands, to lift a gallon of milk.. :eek:

old-iron-habit

Occupation
For me, "hand torque" is about 300 ft lbs. I know this, cause I once had to torque a wheel motor nut to that, and with a cheater bar, on the 3/4" torque wrench, with a long cheater bar, it was all I could do to get it there...

As far as tightening goes, you have to put the leverage leg on the other side of the nut. I only torque the budds on my truck, to the limit of my 275 lb arse, on the stock lug wrench...:D
I have one wheel on a old feller buncher that I have to watch the lug nuts on as the wheel is a bit worn on the holes. I check them every few days with a 4 foot bar. Think I have them sticking tight now but would be easier to check them with perhaps.

DIYDAVE

I read the chinstructions, today, best I can make out of the pidgin english, is that you are approaching its torque limits, when you let go the crank, and it springs back a half turn. It says 5000 newton meters, but I aint got no fig newtons that long, so I don't really know what that means.

I put a paint mark on the input and output shafts, and for grins, counted 16 turns input, to make a 1/4 turn output, so that makes it a 64:1 ratio.:beatsme

old-iron-habit

Occupation
I read the chinstructions, today, best I can make out of the pidgin english, is that you are approaching its torque limits, when you let go the crank, and it springs back a half turn. It says 5000 newton meters, but I aint got no fig newtons that long, so I don't really know what that means.

I put a paint mark on the input and output shafts, and for grins, counted 16 turns input, to make a 1/4 turn output, so that makes it a 64:1 ratio.:beatsme

Holy Crap, That's a lot of multiplications. Should not need a cheater bar with that much gearing. Sounds like it would be fairly easy to stretch bolts to submission fairly easy.

SARuger

I have one of these on the truck, it doesn't work for most things I work on. I just fire up my on board compressor and the 3/4" drive impact