• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

new ride

Tradesman

Occupation
Contractor
Had an oops today it was quite cold here this morning and I had a beam to set for a semi regular customer. The pick went well, then when I was pulling in my stick to put on the boom rest the buzzer went off, I was watching the down hall weight so I knew I wasn't 2 blocked. turns out my internal a2b wire came off the pully and was cut off by the retracting boom . On the inside of the boom it runs through some grease off the boom extension cable, and when it's cold it tacks up enough to stick, I periodically clean it off with some brake cleaner but I guess today was the day. Kinda screwed any profit for that job

Natman

Bummer! I sure liked my wireless anti 2 block by Crane Smart, it was simple and reliable, and NO WIRES. I bought it and a wireless load indicator for my Manitex 22101S for about the same as fixing the LMI that came with it. It'd be hard to justify the expense with an otherwise good LMI, just to get around the wire thing. My National also has it inside the boom, so far so good, but i know it's just a matter of time.

crane operator

Tradesman- there was a guy advertising on ebay with a2b wire pretty cheap, I got my last one from him. Much cheaper than dealer price. $117 for 139'

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-139-LMI...144471?hash=item43deb3f517:g:XXwAAOSwcwhVMSY-

The worst thing is if it cuts the cable and back spools your drum too fast and breaks the spring in your reel. That is really $. Just the cable is bad enough, I think a new PAT reel is over $3,000

Tradesman

Occupation
Contractor
Yikes that looks like a good price, my crane shop is putting another rig out and fixing mine in the morning so I guess I'm at thier mercy this time, but at that price it would be worth having hanging on the wall. This is the second time in four years.
The reel rolled back pretty easy, the tacky grease slowed it down on the tensioning pullies. Thanks for the link

Tradesman

Occupation
Contractor
There is a few guys on here that I really admire thier mechanical skills, BUT mine are limited, I'm a master carpenter and a good operator, but if I put that cable on and everithing went well I'd be good but if the recalibrating didn't go exactly right I'd be crying for help and I'm an hour and a half from knowledgable crane help. I've seen mechanics try to hang a house door and ruin the slab then call me to bail them out. I'll take my own advice and let a pro do it.

crane operator

No problem tradesman. We each have our skill set. I'm just doing the crane rental, so our down time between jobs, means mechanic work. You've got enough on your plate with your construction side, you don't need the hassle of fixing it yourself. I just didn't want you to give the dealer $400 for one, to put it on yourself.

Tradesman

Occupation
Contractor
Update time, I got my A2B wire fixed and I got my NDT today. This the 5th NDT since I've owned it and they have never found a crack yet , whoo-hoo. Next on the list, the ministry of labour changed the way they interpret the regulations, the regs state that a crane can be derated by making a physical modification that can not be easily reversed. Now they require the LMI to be recalibrate. I have to serender my old load charts and Elliott will create new charts and provide me with a new chip with the reduced capacities, I'm not going to say what the cost is but suffice to say my wife and I could have a pretty nice holiday with it. I have to say the guy at Elliott head office was great and very helpful leading me through the application for a derate. After all this my planned paint job might get put off for a while. :(

td25c

That's good news on the inspection Tradesman !
I take it by de-rating the machine this gives an advantage in other areas ?

Tradesman

Occupation
Contractor
My licence is good for 15 ton so I have the ability to de-rate a larger crane to 15 ton, so I have removed one shiv so i can rig a max. three parts of line for 2,700 lbs.

td25c

Yeah Tradesman , think I got it ?
Had to stay in compliance with 15 ton license rating so de-rating the machine was another option to keep everyone happy .:)

Tradesman

Occupation
Contractor
Yeah Tradesman , think I got it ?
Had to stay in compliance with 15 ton license rating so de-rating the machine was another option to keep everyone happy .:)
you got her.
i see I wrote 2,700 lbs. I meant 27,000 lbs

Knepptune

When you derate the crane that only affects the load chart out to 10-15' correct?

The only thing I would say is that once a crane has been derated it's pretty hard to have one rated back to its original capacity. Believe we were quoted 10k from grove on one we had. Once the serial is recorded with the manufacture as a derated crane the resale goes down as well.

Wouldn't stop me from having one derated just somethings for you to be aware of.

Tradesman

Occupation
Contractor
When you derate the crane that only affects the load chart out to 10-15' correct?

The only thing I would say is that once a crane has been derated it's pretty hard to have one rated back to its original capacity. Believe we were quoted 10k from grove on one we had. Once the serial is recorded with the manufacture as a derated crane the resale goes down as well.

Wouldn't stop me from having one derated just somethings for you to be aware of.
That's what I've seen in the past it just effected the top of the chart. In Ontario it can have the opposite effect cost wise there's a lot of people glad to find one that's already been derated. I'm currently in the process of getting my 339a licence that will let me run large cranes but it is a six thousand hour apprenticeship, or you can challenge it which will likely take me most of this year to accomplish. So this is the only way I can stay compliant till then and in reality it doesn't really effect the usefulness of the boom truck because 16000 is a hell of a lift anyways

td25c

Sounds like you made a good move on the de rate given the circumstances Tradesman .

Don't sound like it will effect any jobs and will be compliant with your license .

Tradesman

Occupation
Contractor
This is the ridge and a start on the rafters on the house with the barn timbers in it that I posted a couple months ago IMG_0555.JPG

Tradesman

Occupation
Contractor
IMG_0556.JPG IMG_0557.JPG
Here's a couple better pictures. The portion without a ridge will have a glass observation turret sticking out. The stone wall will go up to the underside of the roof it is made out of stone from the original barn on the property.

crane operator

Oh my- that looks cold. It was 75 degrees here yesterday , supposed to be 70 and 75 friday and saturday. It is about 30 degrees right now, but tomorrow will be 50 or so.

Tradesman

Occupation
Contractor
Not bad about -8 really not a bad day for working cold enough to stay dry but not cold enough to freeze your hands. But as you can tell by the water droplets on my window I had the heat on and was very dry and cumfee!

td25c

Remember the photo of you first setting the barn beams Tradesman . That home is sure turning in to a work of art !
Looks like you are making use of the red weather covers for the boom truck .

Natman

You guys use plywood for sheathing? Nothing but OSB out here. The only CDX plywood I've seen in years (some of the younger framers have NEVER worked with it) is on government buildings, the Mormon church projects, and the Red Robin restaurant chain. Probably 99% of new construction here is OSB. Looks like an interesting project you have going on there!