• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Josh94Z

Hi, new member here. I’ve found this forum very useful over the last couple years as I decided what to buy. I only have few acres, but have ~1/3 mile of gravel drive and have some projects around the property. My first venture was a Deere 510B backhoe. It was overkill for my property but I’ve always wanted a backhoe, and I was tired of pushing snow on a utility tractor with no cab. I bought the 510B knowing it needed at least an inframe. As I got into it last fall I found a broken crank, cracked block (engine had apparently been rebuilt previously by a local deere dealer who decided to leave the balance shafts out) and cracked frame. I decide to cut my losses and sold it to a equipment salvage yard. I’ve still got all the manuals just in case I run into another 510…. For a second attempt I decided to go with something more practical. I just recently purchased a Cat 262C (pre emissions) in great shape. It’s standard flow and single speed, but has cab with heat/ac and should do everything I need to do. I’m looking forward to putting it to work.

Josh

Steve Frazier

Founder
Staff member
Welcome to HEF!!

My first reaction when describing your 510 was that's a pretty big machine for a few acres LOL!! Sorry to hear of your troubles with it. Good luck with your skid steer!

Josh94Z

Well the property seems huge when you are staring down 1/3 mile of snow on a Ford 8N LOL! The original plan with a backhoe was to get a single axle dump, try a few side jobs and see if it was something that I could turn into a "retirement" side business in 10 years or so. I know a CTL and mini ex are probably better choices, but I'm more comfortable operating a backhoe (You should see me trying to use the ISO controls on the 262!). I nearly bought a beautiful 590 SM (Series II) ex hoe with 4 in 1 a few months ago, but decided to start smaller. I love the 262 and just couldn't justify the investment and maint costs of a track machine, especially if I never turn it into a business.

gypsycatfish

To bad you are not close to Maine, I am selling a good 510 that has just had home use for the past 30 years because I bought a 4 wheel drive 310E. The 510 is a monster for pushing over trees with the 22 ft boom.