• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

New John Deere Grader coming.

Cat 140M AWD

Occupation
Motor grader operator
I got the chance to run the new Deere joystick blade the other day needless to say I will stick with my Cat M series the thumb wheels are in bad spots and make it difficult to do multiple functions at once plus Deere still hasn't improved there cab any for visibility.IMG_2449.JPG IMG_2450.JPG IMG_2451.JPG IMG_2453.JPG

ovrszd

Occupation
Retired Army
Deere has used this cab since the D models. Great visibility everywhere except out the lower front corners of the cab. Cat definitely has that in their favor.

The thumb switches do appear to be quite a reach.

I think it takes several hours in any machine to be accustomed to the controls. Being familiar with the CAT controls I'm sure Deere's setup is aggravating.

How many hours did you get to run it???

Cat 140M AWD

Occupation
Motor grader operator
I got to put 12 hrs on it and I was fighting myself all day with the controls they got a lot of improving to do to come close to the cat M series one thing I didn't like is you have to lift your whole arm up to move the blade up and down lot more movement compared to the M one thing ive noticed with Deere is they don't like to change much ya would think they would change the cab if its from 05 and 2017 now will take pics of my 140M3 AWD looking out of the cab to compare the Deere joystick cab to the M cab.

ovrszd

Occupation
Retired Army
I watched their demo videos and thought the same thing about blade up/down. You are the first operator I've visited with about that. My neighbor got to run a simulator at the Vegas show and said he didn't notice that as a problem but I think I would.

I on the other hand think Deere is light years ahead of Cat in regards to change. Two models ago Cat still put the oil pressure gauge on the engine. Operator had to look over their shoulder to see it. Never understood that. Two models ago outside rearview mirrors were optional. Never understood that either.

Serviceability on Cat has always been bad. When Deere introduced the G model that put Cat decades behind in that area. When I Demo'd a 12M the Salesman, a Cat Rep and I parked it next to our Deere 770G and compared features. The Cat rep took a lot of notes. Neither of them had ever done that before. When I opened the engine compartment doors on both machines and started talking about service they got very quiet. Same when we talked about radiator cooling fans.

I think Deere has stuck with the current cab because they don't get negative feedback from operators.

I'll give Cat visibility out the lower front corners of the cab. If an operator is wanting to view the backside of the blade at the trailing end Cat wins again. Everywhere else they lose. As we've discussed previously, rear visibility is horrible as well as straight forward. Don't even want to talk about seeing the front tires or front mounted scarifier.

I think we all adapt to whatever we are operating. Once that adaptation has taken place it's very hard to change. :)

Alberta

Occupation
maintenance supervisor
We have two 872G and five 14M. From a maintenance point of view (mine), they both have their weaknesses. I'm not impress having to drain tranny oil on the deere and the quality of their hydraulic hoses leave to be desired ( and they won't warranty them past the first year). Cat has some routing issues but they cover them for the full 3 years. At about 2250 hrs now on the Deers, we've gone through 10 turbo hoses....and they didn't want to warranty them either at first. They tried to say it was an isolated issue ! Their tech told me they can't keep up with all the hoses in this part of the country. We also had problems with the 872G tranny fluid going into the engine and front wheel drive leaking...many times.

ovrszd

Occupation
Retired Army
Maybe they use a different turbo hoses?? Our 770G has 1900hrs on it with the original hose. Had to replace the EGR valve. Only repair so far.

Alberta

Occupation
maintenance supervisor
Maybe they use a different turbo hoses?? Our 770G has 1900hrs on it with the original hose. Had to replace the EGR valve. Only repair so far.
I'll try to get the part# just to compare. It's just ridiculous that we don't even get 4 hrs on some of those hoses.
Anyway, the issue is almost resolved: we just traded the two 872g we have for 160M AWD.

ovrszd

Occupation
Retired Army
Post back and let us know how you get along with the 160s. Very rare to hear from anyone running those. Thanks.

BladeManBob

I have been gone a long time on this board due to a successful fight against colon cancer and procrastination in general, but would like to say for the record that any motor grader without steering control and a rack of levers is not going to cut it as a finish machine. Give me a CAT Model 12E and I will bluetop circles around any aforementioned equipped motor grader. On most jobs I pass by in the Houston, TX area the M Model graders sit idle. That speaks volumes.

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
Congratulations on the fight of your life.

I know where you are coming from on the old manual controls but I've seen some people do some fantastic things on the joy stick machines now days. I think most of the machines sitting are because of break downs and usually not because of someone wanting something older.

BladeManBob

It's always struck me that the dozer with GPS can do most of the work and that a smaller grader like those little 100 hp machines are all that's needed to "finish" in front of an automated trimmer. One CAT dealer I know of in Texas has them in their rental fleet. Anyway, the dozer being much simpler initially than a motor grader, most greenhorn operators seem to gravitate there while the new CATS go to waste. If you can get them off the trackhoe, where they are breaking every sideboard around. Or ripping up the underground fiber optic lines...

(Truth be told, a GPS controlled grader can render the trimmer obsolete if the spec is for finish grade to be cut by autograder.)

The M model CATS and derivatives will not work as intended until the machines are made fully GPS capable, which is to say steering is automated. Then they may be of more than passing interest.

ovrszd

Occupation
Retired Army
Congrats on your Cancer battle Bob!!!! Hope to hear more from you here!!!!

BladeManBob

Thanks. Unfortunately, I am not running heavy equipment full time anymore, as that sedentary activity undoubtedly contributed to the disease manifesting itself after 50 years, beginning at age 15 when I climbed up on a WWII surplus D8 and started pushing scrapers (aka pans, depending on where you are). Now, it's all downhill from here, with Social Security and Medicare all the way to the bottom. Looking forward to all that...not.

ovrszd

Occupation
Retired Army
Retirement is hardest for those who's life was their job. I've always enjoyed what I did but it was never my life. Been retired 6 years now and loving it. A month ago I helped my neighbor move 15K yds of dirt to establish a building pad and large elevated parking area. I ran his Cat D6. Had a great time. I also run a grader for my township usually around 450 hours a year. I also own 170 acres of land that I maintain. Loving life. I am Blessed with good health.

Hope you can find activities to fill your days that are enjoyable and personally rewarding for you. :)

Grader4me

I watched their demo videos and thought the same thing about blade up/down. You are the first operator I've visited with about that. My neighbor got to run a simulator at the Vegas show and said he didn't notice that as a problem but I think I would.

I on the other hand think Deere is light years ahead of Cat in regards to change. Two models ago Cat still put the oil pressure gauge on the engine. Operator had to look over their shoulder to see it. Never understood that. Two models ago outside rearview mirrors were optional. Never understood that either.

Serviceability on Cat has always been bad. When Deere introduced the G model that put Cat decades behind in that area. When I Demo'd a 12M the Salesman, a Cat Rep and I parked it next to our Deere 770G and compared features. The Cat rep took a lot of notes. Neither of them had ever done that before. When I opened the engine compartment doors on both machines and started talking about service they got very quiet. Same when we talked about radiator cooling fans.

I think Deere has stuck with the current cab because they don't get negative feedback from operators.

I'll give Cat visibility out the lower front corners of the cab. If an operator is wanting to view the backside of the blade at the trailing end Cat wins again. Everywhere else they lose. As we've discussed previously, rear visibility is horrible as well as straight forward. Don't even want to talk about seeing the front tires or front mounted scarifier.

I think we all adapt to whatever we are operating. Once that adaptation has taken place it's very hard to change. :)
I run one all summer. It is a 2017 john deere 772 gp it came with the levers on the arm rests but we had it retro fitted with the joysticks. As far as reach goes..the arms are ajustable in and out and up and down so you can adjust for your comfort. With the joysticks I found there was alot more room for your legs as the arm rests are much narrower than the arm rests with the levers. Also this gave me better visibility on the sides. I didnt like the steering joystick as it was stiff and hard to control when steering. I used it for turning tho. Loved the option of having a steering wheel. Loved the controls.

Attachments

• 20170813_210309.jpg
    20170813_210309.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 31
  • 20171117_141926.jpg
    20171117_141926.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 29
  • 20170717_102358.jpg
    20170717_102358.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 31
Last edited:
Reactions: DB2

cuttin edge

Occupation
Finish grader operator
I run one all summer. It is a 2017 john deere 772 gp it came with the levers on the arm rests but we had it retro fitted with the joysticks. As far as reach goes..the arms are ajustable in and out and up and down so you can adjust for your comfort. With the joysticks I found there was alot more room for your legs as the arm rests are much narrower than the arm rests with the levers. Also this gave me better visibility on the sides. I didnt like the steering joystick as it was stiff and hard to control when steering. I used it for turning tho. Loved the option of having a steering wheel. Loved the controls.
Are you out of Moncton?