• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

New Holland D85 too much oil on the dip stick. Need advice.

Delmer

If it sat that long, ideally I'd loosen the oil drain plug and make sure there's no water in the bottom of the pan from getting into the exhaust and into a cylinder. But you already started it so it would have boiled the water out by now if you ran it enough. If there's still water, then you'll see steam from the breather, or foam or condensation on the top of the dipstick.

guisep3

If it sat that long, ideally I'd loosen the oil drain plug and make sure there's no water in the bottom of the pan from getting into the exhaust and into a cylinder. But you already started it so it would have boiled the water out by now if you ran it enough. If there's still water, then you'll see steam from the breather, or foam or condensation on the top of the dipstick.
When I ran the machine to pull the sample, I also pulled the oil filter to check for any signs of contamination. I strained it and didn't see anything whatsoever.
The machine was actually kept under a large roof I built to cover the equipment, so wasn't exposed to the elements like it would outside.

guisep3

Here is the oil sample results. What do you guys think?

Attachments

• 3272482_N6DC85200#1_D070-47080-5001_MC.PDF
    127.5 KB · Views: 19

Delmer

"CHECK FOR POSSIBLE FLUIDS TRANSFER" and the yellow box indicate a warning.

W A F are water, antifreeze, and fuel. All negative. PFC percent fuel content at .65% is apparently negative? that's obviously not enough to raise the level on the dipstick. What other oil could be getting in there?

cuttin edge

Occupation
Finish grader operator
Drain some off, and run it. If the level rises again there is an issue or she is making oil in which case she is a real money maker.

guisep3

"CHECK FOR POSSIBLE FLUIDS TRANSFER" and the yellow box indicate a warning.

W A F are water, antifreeze, and fuel. All negative. PFC percent fuel content at .65% is apparently negative? that's obviously not enough to raise the level on the dipstick. What other oil could be getting in there?
Delmer,
I thought the same thing. The Pfc at 0.65% is where in lost. I like the other results, but that percent fuel content is strange. I would have expected it to be 0 if there wasn't any fuel as stated in the other category.
I have drained the excess oil and I'm going to run the hell out of her while checking daily.

Delmer

Do you have any hydraulic pumps on the engine, or transmission fluid contact with the engine? Keep a close eye on those levels too, even if it's not obvious how there could be a connection.

cuttin edge

Occupation
Finish grader operator
How many hours on the oil change? 0.65% in my grader at 5.7 gallons would be 0.037 of a gallon, less than 2/3 of a cup.

guisep3

Do you have any hydraulic pumps on the engine, or transmission fluid contact with the engine? Keep a close eye on those levels too, even if it's not obvious how there could be a connection.
That's a good question, obviously there has to be a connection from the engine that powers the main Hydraulic pump.
The machine is a hydrostatic drive. Not mechanical tranny.
I'll have to look at the manual and see if I can see how the drive train is set up.

Dickjr.

Is there a charge pump on the left or right side of the gear train on the engine? My Komatsu has a pump mounted on the left side. Post up some photos. You could change the oil and run it , just keep an eye on the oil level several times a day.

guisep3

Cutting edge,
What is the 0.65 a percentage of? How does that math work? What is that formula?
Is that reading as .65 of 1%
I think I got your math, your saying there would be the equivalent of 4.75 ozs out of a possible 730ozs. Thus giving a less than 1% fuel content. Was this your math?

cuttin edge

Occupation
Finish grader operator
Well, assuming you ran the engine before you took the sample in order to mix the oil. I have no idea how much oil you machine holds, so I based it as if it was my grader which holds 5.7 gal. I can't read your results with my tablet, so I have no idea if they mean 0.65% of the amount in the sample bottle, or 0.65% of your total. With my machine 0.65% of 5.7 gal is 0.037 of a gallon which is less than 2/3 of a cup

Delmer

Is there a charge pump on the left or right side of the gear train on the engine? My Komatsu has a pump mounted on the left side. Post up some photos. You could change the oil and run it , just keep an eye on the oil level several times a day.

That's the most obvious explanation.

The half of one percent of fuel isn't causing the level to go up. If that was an over the road truck, or the dozer was working 40 hours a week, then that amount of fuel MIGHT be abnormal. For something not used a lot, it doesn't seem bad. It could be that somebody mistakenly added a few gallons of diesel to the hydraulic tank, then the hydraulic oil leaked into the engine, and that's where the .65% came from.

guisep3

I really appreciate all you guys taking the time to help me out with this. I'm really hoping this was a classic case of human error of over filling the engine with oil.

CavinJim

Dad had an old Allis Chalmers WD-45 tractor for ten or fifteen years. It was the less common (at least round these parts) diesel version. Not long after he bought it we found the fuel pump leaked into the crankcase. When the oil level would get uncomfortably high and smell like pure diesel, he'd drain it and fill with fresh oil. Was a lot cheaper than fixing that pump. Hard to start in the winter but it saw a lot of use baling in the summer and plowing in the fall. Other than the pesky fuel in oil problem that was the best running tractor we ever had. I bet that fluid analysis would have been 50% diesel!

GaryHoff

Occupation
Heavey Equipment Mechanic
Interesting thread. You have gone a lot further than most people would of for a slightly over full engine oil. The usual culprit for making engine oil is the fuel lift pump, which is relatively cheep. They are suppose to leak externally through the drip hole, but often end up leaking into the oil pan. Your fluid analysis appears good, so I would agree that its likely just human error.

TimT

Occupation
Heavy Construction driver/operator
Maybe someone topped off oil when the machine was not parked level... some of those dipsticks are pretty touchy about that. If it has fuel you will know it pretty easy. Run it and see if it raises the level, if the temp and oil pressure are good, you are ok to run that engine. Lots of the dipsticks that had long outer tubes would read low on the first pull, seemed as the crankcase oil drained to the pan it would pull a slight suction on the tube and draw the oil down below the actual level in the pan. Air locked I would call it. Common to overfill those. International engines were prone to it, and some Cats I have seen do that also. Depending on the size of the engine "if its a fairly large one" and being a D-85 it is....a gallon over won't hurt anything at all.