• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

New Holland D85 too much oil on the dip stick. Need advice.

guisep3

I have a 2006 new Holland D85 with a Cummins motor. I checked the stick and the oil is over an inch higher than the normal level.
I had this same issue with my dump truck and it turned out to be my injection pump needed rebuilt.
Does anyone have a clue why I might be getting extra fluid into the engine?
My thoughts are to sample the oil first. My coolant level has stayed consistent ing the rad.
If it is the injector pump, anyone know if the pump is needs timed with the crank?
Thx guys

Bls repair

Occupation
Equipment operator,mechanic
Oil test is a good idea. Could be bad injectors.

thepumpguysc

Occupation
Master Inj.Pump rebuilder
Gonna need P#'s or a picture of the injection pump.. may or may not be the injection pump.. What about a lift pump??
What about hydro oil?? Better get a sample tested.. in the meantime, get some #'s or a picture.

cuttin edge

Occupation
Finish grader operator
If there is fuel in it you should be able to smell it. An extra inch must be more than a gallon. The oil must feel different between your fingers. Is there a chance someone over filled it. We had a 320 cat if you pulled the dip stick it would read low, but if you put the DS back in and checked it again it would be fine. The float man would always dump oil into it every time he trucked it, so it was always over the mark until the situation was explained to him.

guisep3

Gonna need P#'s or a picture of the injection pump.. may or may not be the injection pump.. What about a lift pump??
What about hydro oil?? Better get a sample tested.. in the meantime, get some #'s or a picture.
I'm going to get part numbers on the pump. I'll take some pix too.

guisep3

Does the engine miss or skip at idle? any smoke?
No the engine doesn't skip or smoke once it starts. Runs good. It is a pain to start. Usually have to cycle the start a couple times and it will blow black smoke out stack, then fire up. Once running, no smoke at all.

guisep3

If there is fuel in it you should be able to smell it. An extra inch must be more than a gallon. The oil must feel different between your fingers. Is there a chance someone over filled it. We had a 320 cat if you pulled the dip stick it would read low, but if you put the DS back in and checked it again it would be fine. The float man would always dump oil into it every time he trucked it, so it was always over the mark until the situation was explained to him.
I'm going to sample it for sure. I changed pull myself, and I have the shop manual, so I can't believe I messed up that much.
How would the hydraulic oil get into the engine oil? Are they not 2 separate systems?

thepumpguysc

Occupation
I don't know about that system asfar as the hydro oil is concerned.. just throwing it out there..
I've seen it happen on MORE THAN 1 occasion on Ford tractors. Better get a sample to be sure.

guisep3

Looks to me like the pump must be tdc on number one piston if removed? Thoughts.
Pix are out of my parts book.
Thx guys

Delmer

If it's fuel it should be obvious, the test will either say fuel present, or give a percentage. You should be able to smell it too.

I don't know how you'd tell it's hydraulic oil until the hydro oil goes down and the engine oil goes up. The good news is that the hydro oil won't contaminate the engine oil, and won't dilute it nearly as much as diesel.

Is there any hydro pump on the engine timing gear train? that's where the hydro oil would get into the engine oil.

thepumpguysc

Occupation
Did you mean to say, you CHANGED the PUMP yourself?? Its new/ rebuilt and NOW its getting fuel in the oil?
The pump NEEDS to be timed.. Theres a plastic plunger under the pump and a lock pin on the pump..[10mm]
Theres a place by the flywheel to insert a tool & rotate the engine by hand IN THE CORRECT DIRECTION OF ROTATION until the pin under the pump drops in..
Then you loosen the locking bolt on the pump & remove the spacer plate.. tie it to the throttle.. then tighten the locking bolt down tight to the pump driveshaft.. Unscrew the front cover infront of the pump & remove the nut & washer.. put the nut back on flush w/ the end of driveshaft.. You need a puller for the gear.. screw the puller in the gear and pop the gear off.. DONE.

guisep3

Did you mean to say, you CHANGED the PUMP yourself?? Its new/ rebuilt and NOW its getting fuel in the oil?
The pump NEEDS to be timed.. Theres a plastic plunger under the pump and a lock pin on the pump..[10mm]
Theres a place by the flywheel to insert a tool & rotate the engine by hand IN THE CORRECT DIRECTION OF ROTATION until the pin under the pump drops in..
Then you loosen the locking bolt on the pump & remove the spacer plate.. tie it to the throttle.. then tighten the locking bolt down tight to the pump driveshaft.. Unscrew the front cover infront of the pump & remove the nut & washer.. put the nut back on flush w/ the end of driveshaft.. You need a puller for the gear.. screw the puller in the gear and pop the gear off.. DONE.
No I'm sorry, I changed the oil myself. I've never touched the injection pump. I brought up changing oil because I can't believe I would have over filled.

Delmer

Well, how many times did you check the oil since that oil change? It's pretty easy to overfill if the oil is cold and takes a while to run down to the pan, or it was sitting at a different angle when you filled it.

cuttin edge

Occupation
Finish grader operator
To me, an inch high on the dipstick would be at least a gallon. A gallon of fuel in the oil would really dilute it. It would be really thin, and you would clearly be able to smell it. If it is not like that I would drain a bit out, and keep an eye on the level to see if it keeps raising. As far as over filling goes, everyone makes mistakes.

guisep3

To me, an inch high on the dipstick would be at least a gallon. A gallon of fuel in the oil would really dilute it. It would be really thin, and you would clearly be able to smell it. If it is not like that I would drain a bit out, and keep an eye on the level to see if it keeps raising. As far as over filling goes, everyone makes mistakes.
I think you guys are all right. I didn't smell anything what so ever. I have a dozen pieces of equipment, so I'm not unfamiliar with diesel engines. I like to do all pms in house. My operators are told to check fluids every morning. This particular dozer has been inactive for most of the last year. Only 100 hours since I changed the oil and filter on 11/21/15.
The oil sample is in mail. I spun the oil filter off and strained it thru a white rag. It was black of course, but no flake or water. Doesn't smell like fuel. Doesn't feel particularly thin.

Hope you guys are right, cause the injector pump R&R might be a bit above my paygrade!