• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Need some advise on changing a frog on the moldboard

King of Obsolete

Occupation
marketing my life style
thansk guys, i have been very busy so the mold board got as far as this. i hope this long weekend to have the time to work on welding the frog on becasue everyone will be at the cabin fishing, LOL.

thansk
KoO
Published Author

Attachments

• welding the frog may 19 2010.jpg
    welding the frog may 19 2010.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 467

King of Obsolete

Occupation
marketing my life style
it was a good day on the frog. i took my time and got the brackets all ready for bolting the new frog on for welding. it took a lot of time and measuring but when it was done it worked out.

now on a nice rainy day this weekend, i'll be welding non-stop. the little forklift sure is handy for doing all the lifting.

thansk
KoO
Published Author

Attachments

• welding the frog more may 20 2010 001.jpg
    welding the frog more may 20 2010 001.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 408
  • welding the frog more may 20 2010 002.jpg
    welding the frog more may 20 2010 002.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 462
  • welding the frog more may 20 2010 005.jpg
    welding the frog more may 20 2010 005.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 433
  • welding the frog more may 20 2010 006.jpg
    welding the frog more may 20 2010 006.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 443

biggrader

Occupation
Owner/Operator
I've stopped mid-day and reversed my edges so I wouldn't end up with that problem. I'll swap 8" edges 6-8 times in their life.

I used to swap them out too but taking an hour or two to do that wasn't very profitable. I've switched to carbide impregnated edges. On the second year and still are straight and no more swapping edges. Rotate them in the spring and good to go for most of the year. There expensive but so is all the time it takes to switch edges.;)

biggrader

Occupation
Owner/Operator
I agree that would be the best way to do it, but if the center is worn down quite a bit more than the ends, and you reversed the blades the center would catch before the ends. Make it harder to grade a road until they evened up. But...if reversed when wear in the center is noticed then it would work great.

When my blades start to wear in the center I put them on the grindstone to even them up. Grindstone = pavement...lol

pavement works great until you start a ditch fire on a hot sunny day. been there done that.:Banghead

Grader4me

pavement works great until you start a ditch fire on a hot sunny day. been there done that.:Banghead

Ha ha.. good lord..can't say that has happened to me...lol. I would usually give them a little rub first thing in the morning on my way to the job. Really doesn't take much grinding to keep them even.
Now..this is what I used to do..I wouldn't encourage any new operators to think this is an acceptable practice. When meeting vehicles I would lift the blade or when a vehicle was following me I would lift. Remember that I live in a rural area with little traffic so I could get away with this.
I had to keep my blades as even as possible at all times. I might be grading then have to shift to leveling asphalt on the same day. Very hard to do a good job on asphalt with the center worn down.

But..as biggrader said...things can go wrong when doing this.

Grader4me

I wouldn't put much pressure on the blade, and any scrape marks that was left were gone in no time. Think of it this way..when you are shouldering how long does your scrape marks show?

rsherril

Occupation
Geologist, Retired from teaching sciences
Great thread. I've been thinking about swapping sides on the cutting edges and so after reading the post, I went out and did it. I noticed that the wear on the right side was more that the left. Guess I favor cutting material right to left. Wonder if would be different in the southern hemisphere? I'm thinking that I need to shim the circle and moldboard up now, am I asking for trouble?

biggrader

Occupation
Owner/Operator
let us know what machine u run. the expert's here will help you. try and keep them set right or you will have some awful pinion wear. I've seen some pretty loose ones in my life. Maybe even one of mine.:pointhead

rsherril

Occupation
Geologist, Retired from teaching sciences
tightning up the circle

I'm running a Deere 570A, taking care of 5 miles of small road. I can see about .2 inch between circle and topside wear plates with the blade up in the air. I also noticed some play between the moldboard slide rail and guides when I pick up the blade. I haven't noticed any wobble in the circle drive gear when rotating the blade. Being somewhat obsessive I have been going through the machine and cleaning up some of the issues that happen with old machines. I thought I might attempt tightning up the draw frame unit during the summer but have don't know what I'm getting into other than some big bolts and heavy steel. I have some tools, tech and parts manuals. Is this a job that I should leave to the pro's? Forget about it and run as is? I would appreciate some advice from those who have been here and done that. -Bob

King of Obsolete

Occupation
marketing my life style
i started welding at 1pm and finished up non-stop at 12 am with lots of pre-heat and 46 lbs of rods. the frog turned out perfect for first time ever doing this. i would like to thank the guys of the BBs for helping out and making my life in the great white north a lot easier.
the grader is ready to go out on the job and everyone laughs at why i painted the moldboard when the gravel will only wear the paint off. i told them it has to look good for the pictures, LOL.

thansk again for the help.

thansk
KoO
Published Author

Attachments

• welding moldboard may 27 2010 004.jpg
    welding moldboard may 27 2010 004.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 417
  • welding moldboard may 27 2010 005.jpg
    welding moldboard may 27 2010 005.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 421
  • welding moldboard may 27 2010 006.jpg
    welding moldboard may 27 2010 006.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 401
  • welding moldboard may 27 2010 009.jpg
    welding moldboard may 27 2010 009.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 403

Motor Grader

Occupation
Technology Solutions Expert
buddy barry's other grader which is a rental machine came back with the frog woren off the moldboard. a quick call to jade in edmonton and the new frogs arrived. so on monday i'll be welding them on the moldboard. any tips on this???? also the grader is a 1996 740a champion.

thansk
KoO
Published Author

Just made a frog repair over the winter....but had no idea it was a frog that we fixed. Was just the bottom lip of the moldboard until now. We use a long heavy table when we make this kind of repair. Put the cutting edge side down and get yourself 3 bottle jacks and some chain. Place the bottle jacks at both ends and the center. Tie the chain down to the table and across the bottle jacks. Place a small piece of 1/4" flatbar in the center and jack them all down tight. Welding has a tendency to bow the moldboard back. By placing a piece of flatbar under the center and then jacking the bottle jacks down tight you place a bow in the moldboard in the opposite direction. Weld in sections and allow to cool. Remove the bottle jacks and it should be straight. Hard to explain so if you want pictures I will have my guy stage one and try to get some photos.