• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Need business help

Brodiesel

Occupation
My wife makes all the $$$.
i think the original poster may have other problems:

http://www.areawidenews.com/story/2165801.html

"hurtt said he purchased the backhoe from the suspect on a county road for $4,500, and the suspect "snickered" when asked where it had come from. According to shaw, the value of the backhoe was approximately $57,778.

On sept. 4, the missouri and arkansas investigators obtained hurtt's permission to search his business on highway 62-412 east of salem. Three other pieces of equipment were found on the property, which had been reported stolen in missouri: A caterpillar backhoe valued at $49,000, a john deere wheel loader valued at $44,000, and a brute force goose neck trailer valued at $7,000.

A related search of equipment at an rlh construction job site found a john deere skid steer valued at $17,000.

Hurtt told investigators that he would produce documents to show he had purchased the items legally.

During a later meeting, hurtt and his attorney provided documents from accounting software showing receipts for parts and receipts from auction purchases. According to shaw's affidavit: "none of the documents provided appear to account for the purchases of stolen items which were recovered. In addition, hurtt stated he would provide sworn statements from witnesses who had knowledge of the transactions for the equipment. No such statements have been provided."

i didn't find any sentencing or a court date even, so it may all be cleared up, but sometimes the wheels of justice turn slow.

oh sh***t!!!!

kthompson

You know I just saw this thread a few minutes ago and found it interesting as I read through it and my suggestions were two to him, one being sure who ever he hired to handle the books he had a way to verify they were not stealing as they would be in a good position to.

I have known two people in my area who one went to prison for stealing such equipment and the other has been really caught good in sting for same thing. I was at the sting site when they cuffed him the second time for such.

But tell me who buys a machine fro 10 cents on the dollar and thinks all is good?

skyhooks

at $8 million a year i would suggest finding a CPA who is knowledgeable with civil construction accounting. if you really want to track jobs costs vs budgets you need to at a minimum get the contractor version of quickbooks. I've found that sage 100 is better suited for our industry though. there are others but they start getting a lot more expensive and have a lot steeper of a learning curve.

Shimmy1

I've found that sage 100 is better suited for our industry though. there are others but they start getting a lot more expensive and have a lot steeper of a learning curve.
Not trying to be a d!ck here, but Sage-Peachtree is the absolute worst software out there. Expensive as hell, nothing but trouble, customer service is ATROCIOUS, and (around here anyway) so uncommon nobody knows how to work it, and the ones that do hate it.

cspeedy

Not trying to be a d!ck here, but Sage-Peachtree is the absolute worst software out there. Expensive as hell, nothing but trouble, customer service is ATROCIOUS, and (around here anyway) so uncommon nobody knows how to work it, and the ones that do hate it.

Tried it myself with a previous company and went back to Quickbooks after a year.

skyhooks

Quickbooks has a lot of limitations, especially when it comes to tracking company owned equipment and unit price contracts. There are work arounds for a lot of it but imo sage 100 (masterbuilder) handles things much better. I've done project management and cost controls for many years now and have used several accounting programs such as quickbooks, peachtree, master builder, Microsoft dynamics, viewpoint, timberline, and custom programs. Quickbooks is obviously the most common and easiest to use. At 5-10 million in revenue I would recommend masterbuilder, especially for heavy/highway contractors. I can't vouch for the customer service but they do have a pretty extensive manual as well as help built into the program.

ETA: you'd be shooting yourself in the foot by using anything less than quickbooks premier

Jkellerman

I just did a quick search online. Arkansas has a small business administration and technology center with a number of good resources. They also host events and offer services to help with exactly the problem you're facing. I can't vouch for their quality, but the online reviews seem positive.

http://asbtdc.org/