• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Need Bobcat 331 final drive parts

Sled Puller

Occupation
IUOE 66
1996 model, serial 512911199,part number6660675

I bought Bobcat so I could get parts- wrong.
Bopcat has no internals, wants to sell me not one $4000 final to replace BUT TWO of them!! Why? They dunno, book says replace both.

Found a company in Texas claimed to have parts for retired machines, they may, except mine. They want to sell me one replacement unit for $1000 less than Bobcat, and say you dont need to replace both, Bobcat is lying to you.

I see.
Oh and they want my finals for cores...
Why, I ask, you cant get parts to rebuild them, remember?

Uh....company policy.
Right.
Anyway, who has internal parts for Bobcat Minis!?!?!?

finaldrive

Occupation
Business Owner
I can help.
We're the largest distributor of final drives in North America. The Bobcat 331 you have used a SOM brand or a Kayaba.
SOM is no problem, the Kayaba has been discontinued. However, we should be able to help depending on what parts for it are needed.

I agree with you about the core. I run into this all the time with that company.
Out of the 250+ machines we can support from our stock, there are only 7 that I need cores on; and it is so I can use a couple parts off the core in order to create one for a future customer. It is certainly not to rebuild it.
I wish we could economically rebuild most units, but we can't.
On excavator final drives you'll find that if the gearbox portion fails then the failure rate after it being rebuilt is very high.
If it is just bearings and seals, then you're good. If it is carriers and gears then I've found it's best to scrap it. Of course this isn't always the case. But with more than 1,000 units sold per year, we know what fails and why. And which are worth taking the time and money to repair and which aren't.

Send me a PM if you'd like

Last edited:

Sled Puller

Occupation
IUOE 66
PM sent, replied, phone call, shipment made, parts installed, running again!!!
Boys, finaldrive knows his final drives!!
Thank you, Sir!!
I'm a little worried about the fly by night mechanic,(me) that did the swap, but the parts were exact replacements for the failed ones, not bad for the description I gave him on the phone.

finaldrive

Occupation
Business Owner
PM sent, replied, phone call, shipment made, parts installed, running again!!!
Boys, finaldrive knows his final drives!!
Thank you, Sir!!
I'm a little worried about the fly by night mechanic,(me) that did the swap, but the parts were exact replacements for the failed ones, not bad for the description I gave him on the phone.

Happy to help!!
Best regards!