• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Nccco points system

Jdog

new to the site and newer to cranes. I am curious if anyone knows what the points deductions are for TLL crane practical. Any help would be much appreciated.

Jdog

Thanks for that. So, now I have the times for each task. What are the penalties for knocking off balls, touching down load outside of circle, going over time, etc... Thank you

crane operator

It's been too long since I took the test, I don't remember being in a big hurry/ rushed for time. A co- worker at the time when I got mine, asked how many tennis balls I had knocked off- "because it looked like wimbeldon out there when I got done- I sent tennis balls everywhere!"

He passed after sending tennis balls everywhere, so I knew I had passed, so I would think if you're halfway careful, you should do fine. Provided you know how to run a crane. If you don't, practice a lot.

I was already a operator for a few years when I got mine, so it wasn't a big deal. I felt bad because a lot of the guys in the hall that took and passed it, really didn't know how to run a crane, and I know they got sent out to jobs as a "certified" operator, and that doesn't help anyone out, the operator is inexperienced, and the hiring outfit is upset because they're not getting quality employees.

I don't know the particular run down of points loss, if you're worried that much about your skills/ or get nervous and have troubles with it, the only thing that makes you better is more experience.

I find if I shoot for perfect, I've got some margin for error. If you go into some test thinking "I can drop 25 points and still pass" I think you're setting yourself up to fail.

Welder Dave

If it's anything like taking a pressure welding test to get certified, it's 50% skill and 50% nerves. Best to try and treat it like just another day on the job and try not to get all stressed out about it.