• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Nantucket Landfill Mining

Bellboy

COPPA
Occupation
Student
Plastic bags :Banghead. If a man can find a cost effective way of recyling them into something other than MORE plastic bags he will certainly be on to a winner. It has got so bad in the UK now, supermarkets are trying to find ways to reduce our dependence on them after years of giving them to us as a convienience.

tdozer I had a look your operation via the link you posted :woohoo that is one serious operation and only to be commended. I can easily see why it gets visits as a show case, keep up the good work :thumbsup

Our super markets now sell them to you if you want/need one. I seriously didn't know you could mine/recycle a dump. That must be quite hair raising. Have fun

Orchard Ex

Super Moderator
There is a certain line of thought that says in the future when raw materials get more scarce we will all be mining the old landfills for the recycleable materials. Looks like you guys are a step ahead.

stretch

Occupation
gopher
Interesting operation...what excavators do you have working there?

Tonka, where in New Haven does your company want to put a transfer station and how is that plan holding up?

tonka

Occupation
Equipment Operator
Tonka, where in New Haven does your company want to put a transfer station and how is that plan holding up?
We are still workin out the details of that as we speak. We need to find a place that we can get railcars to, as our trash goes out by rail.

Last edited:

tdozer

Bellboy,
This landfill was started in the mid 50's, before recycling was popular. Also this is on an island, so it would have costed the town too much money to ferry or barge it to the mainland. Now that recycling is in high demand, it pays fairly well.
Stretch,
Right now we have a PC400LC, a 200lc deere and a 325BL. We are bringing another PC400 up from jersey as soon as the tourists are done for the season. The ferrys are so backed up right now, it would cost us double right now for the ferry. Also we are in the design phase for a huge composting facility outside of boston in Walpole. In about 6 months we should be starting that.

stretch

Occupation
gopher
How do you get it onto the ferries? Is it acceptable just keeping it on the lowboy?

Thanks Tonka, hope you can keep us posted as things fall into place.

digger242j

Administrator
Occupation
Self employed excavator
You know all the I-95 corridor states from Va to NY are in need of these. Pa and Va were the two largest takers of garbage from NY.

I know it sure drove up the price of landfills around here (or at least it was one factor). I remember when I could dump a tandem load at the local landfill for $15, $9 for a single axle.

Isn't there any concern about heavy metals contaminating the compost? I have to imagine it's hard to get it all out.

tdozer

Here are a few pics of Me rebuilding our BioFilter. It is basically an upside down septic leach field for air instead of liquid. The air from the composting plant gets drawn through a pair of air scrubbers which take any particulates out and then it gets blown out through the BioFilter which takes any smell away. All it consists of is Pipe, stone and green wood grindings. right now i am grinding a large stump pile for the chips with our Morbark tub grinder. I will post some pics of that opperation if i can remember to bring my camera to work. Then i will place them over the new stone and pipe. this is all being done because of careless operators. the wood chips have to be replaced every 6 months or when they decay too much. in the past the operator used a solid tire 966G right on top of the pipe. when i started to strip the chips, using the 200 deere(the right way) i found 53 out of 64 pipes crushed. Hey this is why we had to come all the way from jersey. the place was falling apart. well heres the pics.

Attachments

• 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 1,070
  • 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 1,108
  • 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 1,172

tdozer

a few more pics

I took these pics while pushing to the PC400, with our D6H. This D6 is completely beat but runs great. 17000 hard hours and still goin strong. It is hard to see in the pics but i am about 30' above the 400. I have to get the pics that my co workers took from the bottom to get the good view of the height of the landfill.

Attachments

• phone pics 9.22.08 024.jpg
    phone pics 9.22.08 024.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 969
  • phone pics 9.22.08 023.jpg
    phone pics 9.22.08 023.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 961

GiveUp

the cutaway shows how much daily cover they used. all the needed was a couple inches not a couple feet of sand

Sorry to bring up a thread from the dead, but is there any chance you (tdozer) or someone else has a High Resolution version of this image?
I think it's fascinating and need it for a school project I'm working on. I registered for the forum hoping to send a PM to tdozer, but I'm not allowed to at this time, so this is the best I can go with.

Thanks in advance,

GiveUp

rockytopcummins

Plastic bags :Banghead. If a man can find a cost effective way of recyling them into something other than MORE plastic bags he will certainly be on to a winner. It has got so bad in the UK now, supermarkets are trying to find ways to reduce our dependence on them after years of giving them to us as a convienience.

tdozer I had a look your operation via the link you posted :woohoo that is one serious operation and only to be commended. I can easily see why it gets visits as a show case, keep up the good work :thumbsup

I couldn't find the article, but I read recently someone has created a process of turning not only bags but plastics in general into diesel.