• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

My Trojan 114 tractor shovel thread.

justlearning

I am happy to have found someone that has the same machine as i have. I am trying to find a dipstick for mine, not oil, but for the transfer case, is there any other new model of machine that takes the same dipstick, so that i might have an easier time of finding a replacement for mine.

kent_323is

Occupation
Senior Mechanical Engineer
Nice looking older machine. Good job getting it up and running. I have 2 Michigan units that are just a little bit older, one I had to do some similar items to get it running, the other was semi-operational when I got it.
Any further updates on getting things fixed on it?
Any idea on how much it weighs? That triple axle trailer looks like its squatting pretty good with it on it!

Gooseidi

Occupation
Union Electrician, Local 351 IBEW / owner of Cut '
hyqura7u.jpg

Gooseidi

Occupation
Union Electrician, Local 351 IBEW / owner of Cut '
Didn't realize I already posted this picture, lol. I haven't really done too much to the machine lately. I was going to have the injectors rebuilt but have not had the time needed to get them out. I also need to rebuild the bottom of the bucket or source a new bucket all together. She's a great runner once you get her started!

Diagonal Brace

Do yourself a favour and get the glowplugs working! The ether method will catch up to you. Those are tough old engines but will give up the ghost if they ingest to much fire fluid.

Good luck with your restoration.

bvfdfire

Occupation
project superintendent for highway heavy construct
Those International engines have always been booger bears to start when they are cold. The glow plugs should be readily available, they made a reappearance in the powerstrokes and IH engines in later years. Like the man says" "the ether method will catch up with you" without even realizing it, the repeated use of ether will slowly cause you to lose compression either by pressure erosion or the repeated detonation in the combustion chamber may eventually warp the rods enough to bend rods and reduce combustion. I actually ran an H50 Hough that we warped the head on it because we could not afford to kill it for 3 days because of having to load ice rock.

pinesd3400

Occupation
anything to bay the bills
Confused? are you sure thats a 114. mine is a 124 and looks exactly like yours but I got a IH BD 264 gas job.

Attachments

• 124 Trojan.jpg
    124 Trojan.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 193

Bigblue

Looking at buying a t114 tractor shovel, 4x4 with gas engine. Has 4050 hours on it. Seems to be in great shape. Does anybody know what tis machine weighs? I want to be able to haul on my existing trailer. Thanks in advance for your help.

Mike Van

The book doesn't give a weight, but my guess would be 15,000 lbs. or less. Mine isn't huge by todays standards, 1 1/4 yd bucket & counterweight not huge either.

check

The D282, D301 and D236 family of diesel engines are gasoline engines converted to diesel. There are only 4 head bolts around each cylinder. The gasoline version of these engines were extremely durable, but the diesels were prone to blown head gaskets, warped heads, broken head bolts and cracked heads. Sometimes the glow plugs, which go in precombustion chambers, warp to the point where they are a real pain to get out. The 282 is dry sleeved and the 301 was parent bore. The 236 was used in farm tractors. None of these engines are very powerful.

check

Although I'm not a fan of the D282 engine, I would have paid $1500 for a loader as clean as that one.

Mother Deuce

Ended up buy this machine fo $1500, and drove it home. Runs great! Looking for books on machine. Is a 124 similar?
View attachment 166514
I am envious... in 1964 sitting on my Dads lap, I took a little spin in one of Morrison Knudsens Trojans when Dad was working for them building I5 through Seattle. Started a romance with those machines that has stood the test of time. I was so enchanted with it's face.:)

Hough Dan

Nice thread!
I just bought a Trojan 114 today because I want the D-282 to put in my Hough 60. The Hough has a D-301 but the head is cracked in every cylinder and I couldn't find a good head. It no longer spends it's days in the gravel pit so the D-282 should work fine.

That being said everything else is for sale, piece by piece or the whole thing. Afterwards unfortunately the rest goes to the scrap yard.
Hopefully others on here can get some good parts from it.
It is a running, driving machine right now. By next weekend the motor should be out.
I'm near Winsted, MN.

Attachments

• IMG_20220612_191824058.jpg
    IMG_20220612_191824058.jpg
    5.3 MB · Views: 18

chevenstein

Nice thread!
I just bought a Trojan 114 today because I want the D-282 to put in my Hough 60. The Hough has a D-301 but the head is cracked in every cylinder and I couldn't find a good head. It no longer spends it's days in the gravel pit so the D-282 should work fine.

That being said everything else is for sale, piece by piece or the whole thing. Afterwards unfortunately the rest goes to the scrap yard.
Hopefully others on here can get some good parts from it.
It is a running, driving machine right now. By next weekend the motor should be out.
I'm near Winsted, MN.

Dan I have a good head for a 282/301 IH and would be interested in your whole 124 for parts except that you're pretty far away. Next best is I'd trade you the entire 282 engine (head was taken off to be rebuilt but project stalled) for the transmission and converter from your Trojan 124 if you can strap those parts to a pallet and send them LTL freight. Likewise I'd put the 282 on a skid and send it to you the same way - should be $200-300 if you can drop off/pick up the pallets at a freight depot.