• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

My Trojan 114 tractor shovel thread.

Gooseidi

Occupation
Union Electrician, Local 351 IBEW / owner of Cut '
I have recently acquired a Trojan 114 wheel loader and have been working on getting it operational. The previous owner was going to scrap it because it won't reach his tall dump body. I got to spend a couple of afternoons on it so far, checked all of the fluids, put fresh batteries in it, tried to fire it off. She ran for about 10 seconds on its own, built 50psi of oil pressure and then stalled. The starter gave way and is out for a rebuild right now.

I did some research and found out the engine is an International d282. This seems to have been a rather common engine in the 60's and 70's so hopefully I will be able to source anything I need. I am hoping to use this machine to handle trees, dig stumps and generally help me out as I get older and my shoulders hurt more.:eek:

Here are some pictures as she sits. It's been at this spot for 3 years. I was happy to see that all of the tires still hold air and the cab and glass are relatively in tact. I was told that it was a Coast Guard machine and was mostly used to clear snow on base in its later years. Hour meter reads 8500.

Attachments

• trojan 55.jpg
    trojan 55.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 2,052
  • trojan 44.jpg
    trojan 44.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 2,107
  • trojan 33.jpg
    trojan 33.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 2,264
  • trojan 22.jpg
    trojan 22.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 2,006
  • trojan 11.jpg
    trojan 11.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 3,100

Mike Van

I like your original door, mines got a homemade one. I had to replace a few seals in mine, this place http://www.minnpar.com/ they had a few and were able to find others. I use mine mostly for sawmill duty, forks on it. Easy to work on these old ones, no computer chips!

Gooseidi

Occupation
Thanks Mike. Most of everything that I own is old. They usually better suit my wallet and my mechanical know how:rolleyes: I saw your I T setup for your bucket in another thread and hope to do something similar. I would like to have forks, snow plow, an adapter to the skid steer quick attach system, and a grapple at some point. Once everything is running properly I am going to look into plumbing a 3rd valve to the bucket as well.

I am familiar with machines such as the Bobcat A300, Ford 555B 4x4 backhoe, 580 Case machines and John Deere 410B 4x4 backhoes and am quite interested to see how this loader stacks against them. I am assuming the bucket capacities of the 114 are greater than most any backhoe.

Thanks for the Minnpar link, The brake pedal goes right to the floor so it will surely need attention. I am assuming that a complete rebuild with new hard lines, master cylinder, wheel cylinders ect. will be needed.

Mike Van

My master cylinder leaked, all over the floor. I think there's a thread here on it? I think my bucket is a yard & a quarter - I brought home a white oak log with my 114 that scaled out close to 6000 lbs. The hydraulics picked it right up, on one steep down hill grade I must have tilted forward enough I did lose my steering. Lowering the forks the few inches until the log was rubbing on the road solved that. Like in your signature, I have 5 old Homelites, a '94 F350, and a '74 C-60 - Old is where it's at -

Gooseidi

Occupation
I called my starter guy today. The fields check out ok, bearings, bushings and a new armature are on the way. It's good to know a good low voltage electrical guy. I recommend Dave Guenther every chance I get. He's in Pleasantville, NJ and I would mail stuff to him if I moved too far to travel to his place.

Once the starter is in, I hope to get her fired, with some ether help as only 2 glow plugs are good. Once she runs, I'm sure I will have a whole new list of things to pay attention to. The gear linkage is stuck in 2nd, brakes, glow plugs and radiator are chalked up and it hasn't even ran for more than 10 seconds. Yikes!!!

Gooseidi

Occupation
I got my starter back and installed it. I spent a few hours on it the other day trying to get it to run to no avail. Today, I got her to light off. The engine warmed up and runs quite well and seems to have plenty of power. The power steering is howling like no tomorrow; I am guessing the pump is on the engine's left side, same side as the injection pump and starter, and the top comes of with a wing nut and you can add fluid there. It looks a pinkish color so would some ATF do the job?

My next dilemma is that I am getting no pressure to the hydraulic system. This is quite odd because the other day when I was trying to start it, I had the bucket going up and down with the operation of just the starter turning the system. The gauge on the dash went to 400psi with just the starter engaged, the engine not running, now I have nearly nothing. I checked the hydraulic tank and it is all but full, 18" of fluid, about 3" of air space. I'm thinking this may be too much fluid.... any suggestions?

Also, what does the lever on the left side behind the loader controls do? It needs to be fully engaged forward to get power to the wheels, fully engaged towards the rear gives the wheels power but not nearly as much. There also seems to be a couple of detents in between but doesn't seem to do anything in those positions. Full forward and full reverse seem to engage a gear cog of some sort.

I also got a new phone, an HTC Evo and posted my first youtube video ever, of the 114 of course.:D

Check it out:

http://www.youtube.com/my_videos_edit?ns=1&video_id=6xptxBEtDdI

Last edited:

Mike Van

On mine, there are two levers behind the two loader valve handles. The one closest to the seat is a hi-low range, low being all the way down. The other is in-out for 4 wd, down being 4 wd. up being 2. In the middle, you'd go nowhere with either. I'd just be guessing on the other stuff, cold dirty oil can give you fits, hyd or power steering. It needs to be really hot to change it, . Maybe there's something sticking in your system somewhere.

Gooseidi

Occupation
The hi-low range selector makes sense. I'm going top add a quart of ATF to the power steering system today and hope to put that trouble to rest.I will dig in the cab and look for the 4wd lever as well. I am hoping to diagnose the hydraulic system. Once that is operating I can at least get it off of the property that its located on right now.

Believe it or not, I have work waiting for it already:)

Mike Van

Someone may have snapped off the other lever? There should be two. Our loaders look alike, but on mine, the ps pump draws fluid from the hyd. tank, theres a filter on the side of the tank for the pump. I have a Cummins in mine, replaced not many years ago by the state of NY. The ps pump is on the side of the engine.

Mike Van

Thats the one - I found it on Cr. List, about the 5th one I went and looked at. It was about 100 miles from me, turned out the be the least expensive [3800] The little maint. work I've done on it hasn't cost much. Still have a slow leak in the LF I have to fix when it warms up. 2 or 3 gauges too.

Gooseidi

Occupation
I have come to the conclusion that I have water in the hydraulic system. The water has gotten to the pump and was froze the other day when I worked on it last. I pumped out about 25 gallons from the tank so when I drain the rest, the water/ fluid mix should be minimal.

When we get a warm day, what is the best way to drain all of the fluid? I plan to remove the inlet hose to the pump and there is a cover on the pump with 4 bolts that I plan to remove. This should get the majority of the water out as the pump is about the lowest point on the system.

What about all the other nooks and crannies? Seems like you would have a real hard time getting all of the fluid changed out in this system unless you cycled the cylinders, added fluid to the tank as you put the return in a 55 gallon drum and cycled until you saw new fluid. Am I getting too OCD here?

Mike Van

Good question on the oil & water, I was hoping someone would have an answer too. Maybe a new thread on how to get the water out?

NCPIPELINE

Occupation
The Fixer
Good question on the oil & water, I was hoping someone would have an answer too. Maybe a new thread on how to get the water out?

That is kind of what I do, but I go attach a hose to my aux and fill and cycle out, fill and cycle out, 2 or 3 times and I feel like I have gotten most of it.

Gooseidi

Occupation
It's been a while but I had a nice afternoon this week and got to dig into the tractor some more. I got it fired up again despite air intrusion issues and non operational glow plugs. I also got about a gallon of water out of the hydraulic system and put about 15 gallons of oil back in. I blew a hose almost immediately, luckily was easy to get to on the front boom and I had a replacement available. Out of the woods she came and drove her down the road to my residence.

I pushed the firewood pile up a bit and put the bucket under a downed bull pine to see what it has to offer. The pine raised up a bit and then the rear tires came up about four feet off the ground. The machine definitely has some good power to it.:D

The list of things to do is growing as I dig into the machine but that's ok. The basic machine is operational, engine, trans, axles, hyd system, all work. I will certainly be busy this summer.:cool2

Gooseidi

Occupation
Trojan update: I have the machine to the point that it will start up rather easily with a small squirt of ether, the gp's are disconnected as of now. I ran her really hard for about 2 hours and the power steering growl went away and it works perfectly now, one system down.

I am to the point of digging into the brake system, probably going to add fluid to the master cylinder and see what happens. Will repair as the leaks become evident, haha.

I got the torch out and heated the metal block at the base of the steering wheel to free up the shift linkage. 2 shifts later, the ball and socket was frozen on the rods under the floorboards and snapped, go figure. I will get to that soon and have all gears fully functional.

I have also fulfilled my obligations set forth to acquire the machine and now own it out right, bartered in exchange for doing electrical work. Divorced and poor, I am grateful this deal came across my plate.

Future plans include glowplugs, welding work on the bucket, the floor is really short, want to add about 10" and a new cutting edge. Brakes, lights, windshield wiper, full fluids and filters change. Plenty to do but I am happy that the basic machine is fully operational and the major components are worth working with. I will try to get some more videos up soon as there isn't too much activity with this vintage machine on the internet.

Gooseidi

Occupation
I finally flushed the hydraulic system out and filled it with about 30 gallons of fresh fluid. I also bought a trailer so I can move the thing around now.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk

Gooseidi

Occupation
Here's a pic of the complete rig.

Gooseidi

Occupation
Here's a pic of the complete rig.

ygaga9u8.jpg