1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Murray 9 axle

Discussion in 'Trailers' started by -NICK-, Jun 5, 2009.

1. -NICK-

-NICK- Well-Known Member

Driver
    So were redoing the 9 axle trailer we just got .Just wondering if anyone would like to see some pictures of the progress.:)

2. Cretebaby

Cretebaby Senior Member

Well duh!!!!!!!!!!!

Of course we would;)

3. Cody

Cody New Member

Definatly would like to see pics please!

4. -NICK-

-NICK- Well-Known Member

Driver
    murray 9 axle pics

here are some of the pics Murray Ambassador 9 axle Its getting new pins in the deck,some extra bracing etc..I'll try and keep them in order so you can see the progress.Thanks for looking

Attached Files:

5. td25c

td25c Senior Member

Thanks for sharing the pictures of the rebuild job -NICK-.I will be looking close at them and will probably have a few questions for you as I am looking at converting one of my fixed neck lowboys to a mechanical detachable.

6. tonka

tonka Senior Member

Equipment Operator
    Hey Nick is this in Stockton? Nice pics BTW! Keep them comming!

7. bill5362

bill5362 Senior Member

I own a excavation company and a rolloff container
    Nice pics Nick, I like the jack stands under the front of the trailer that is a cleaver idea. Did you sand blast and what type of material are you going back with Epoxy primer or ? and what type of paint? I like complete restorations myself. I have a 55 ton hydraulic detach LoadKing that I getting ready to do a complete on myselft thanks for sharing.

8. -NICK-

-NICK- Well-Known Member

Driver
    We are in Los Angeles CA (MST INC Baldwin Park).the plan is to sandblast it once all the welding is done.So far the deck and gooseneck are getting worked on first Deck is getting new pins new storage baskets in deck misc welding bracing all new wiring New Wood,etc.Not sure what kinda paint they use we just finished a 8 tire murray and a 16 tire of ours a while back so paint will match those.The guy doing the work is from D&X Welding out of San Marcos CA he could probably answer any technical questions you have.Here are a couple pics of the neck.

Attached Files:

9. bill5362

bill5362 Senior Member

I own a excavation company and a rolloff container
    Nick thanks for the response I was just curious. It looks like they are doing a really nice job.

10. JBlackwell

JBlackwell Well-Known Member

I was wondering why you are having them strap the bottom flange of the neck around the paddles and also it looks like you had them fishplate the web at the base of the neck or added additional fishplating? Has the trailer lost any of its memory from too much deflection (overloading) or are you planning on overloading it? The trailer doesn't look 10 years old.

Justin

11. -NICK-

-NICK- Well-Known Member

Driver
    The piece I think your talking about basically keeps the link from coming off ,it not that thick at all it has a small gusset and the curved plate that attaches to the neck so might help with strenghting a little .In the first picture is where the original fishplate was.It was removed and replaced with a new plate but not additional fishplating.Not sure but might have been removed to check for cracks.You can see the original surface in one of the pictures with a number written on it ,an order number maybe? As far as overloading I dont think anybody plans on overloading but in the event it does it's nice to know it can handle it .These trailers are built very well but I think a little extra never hurt.Besides It has to last at least another 16 years before needing a makeover:)

12. Chaz Murray

Chaz Murray Well-Known Member

Its looking good...Ramon sure is good at what he dose...hated to loose him when he decided to move down to your neck of the woods.

13. D5G

D5G Senior Member

Lookin cool! Can't wait to see it done, those trailers always amaze me!

14. -NICK-

-NICK- Well-Known Member

Driver
    They are working pretty fast on it,I would have to agree with you He does do very good work. I have been up to your shop two or three times in the past and you guys have always been helpful but 6 hours one way is pain So I am glad he came down here.:tong

They got the neck strapped and the kingpin done and some other stuff here are some more pics.Hey Chaz how many of these trailers have you guys built over the years, haven't seen very many?

Attached Files:

15. Chaz Murray

Chaz Murray Well-Known Member

I really do not know off the top of my head but the last one we have built in that model was back in 2005 or 2006 and is down in your area, Kirkland Lowbed still has it. The total amount if I would have to guess would be less than 20 for the Ambassador Model...our M2000 Model is getting close to breaking that number now. Six have been built in the last 2 years and have one going through the paint shop as I type and one more In the fab shop scheduled to be done in October but we had to get started early because of another large project for the state of California, three Barrier Trailers http://www.dot.ca.gov/hq/maint/workzone/mobile_work_zone_barr/index.htm. We have already built two of them back in 2004 and 2006 and just recently won the bid for three more....just hope the state has the money to pay us when it comes time with all this budget mess haha.:Banghead

16. -NICK-

-NICK- Well-Known Member

Driver
    I thought it would be a little higher.Good to hear you guys are staying busy building trailers.Just dont wait to long to cash that check from the state when you get it :).

So here are a few more progress pics,Deck got flipped so it is gonna get strapped.They finished welding some of the stuff from underneath.and got the parts for the storage baskets for the deck.

Attached Files:

17. -NICK-

-NICK- Well-Known Member

Driver
    oops wrong pics.here they are

Attached Files:

18. King of Obsolete

King of Obsolete Senior Member

marketing my life style
    yes that guy can weld, more pictures please and very nice trailers you build chaz.

thansk
    KoO
    Published Author

19. Dualie

Dualie Senior Member

now your going to need to add a special projects tab to the website where you can put this trailer and the flatbed you guys built back in the day.

20. amunderdog

amunderdog Senior Member

I am not able to pickout a wireway.
    What do you make that out of?
    Can i see a picture of the machine that makes all those perfect cutouts in large steel pieces?

Last edited: Jun 14, 2009