• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

MULCHER PROBLEM !!!! HELP !!!! Cat 289 with FAE mulcher flow problem.. maybe...

Pair of Hounds

long story short... demoed a 289Cat with Cat HM315 mulcher. worked great!!! Bought used FAE UML SSL 150 (same as HM315 just older) It was setup for a 299Cat and had 1" hoses and quick connects.. replaced 1" quick connects with standard 3/4" but left 1" hoses. I also did nothing to the electrical connector for trap door. ... My question, Will a mulcher that's setup for a Cat 299 work to capacity on a 289? Something is wrong. I am bogging down in very light material. The 289 with HM315 that I demoed seemed to turn much faster with more torque. Any thoughts? thanks!

lantraxco

The UML is set up for a high flow machine, spec is 34-53 GPM. The HM315 is roughly the same, 31.5-36

Both CAT models 289 or 299 can be 22 GPM standard or 33GPM high flow. The high flow version is just barely enough to do the job for a UML 150 I should think.

The FAE DML 150 is smaller and will run on 13-25 GPM

So, I'm guessing the machine you have is standard flow? The high flow version it seems is also about 700 psi higher, for more torque.

Tones

Occupation
Ex land clearing contractor, part-time retired
With hydrailics flow is speed, pressure is power. So if it is bogging down may be you it needs more pressure or change the pulley sizees These things don't need to run at 2000rpm to do a good job. For the last 7 years I have run a Fecon head at 1600rpm and it chews through timber a heck of a lot faster and leaves a product just as good if not better than the original setup. Don't let the socalled experts(sales people) tell you any different. Changing the quick connect 1"to 3/4 will alter the flow even if the hoses are bigger you have lost 25% of the flow. Quick connects should match the hose size.

Last edited:

BradAZLR

Call FAE tomorrow +1 770 407 2014. My guess would be hoses to match your coupler and possibly change the sprocket to a different size probably have to adjust a cartridge for the pressure difference. That's what we had do to a Fecon head when we upgraded from a smaller machine to a larger machine and I would imagine your FAE is similar. Another thing to just verify would be is the machine going into high flow mode? I'm assuming your 289 is a d series?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Delmer

The 289 I'm using is high flow. If I change the hoses to match quick connects will I increase pressure?

No, change out the small quick connects back to the original 1". That's two restrictions there. Plus the "standard" disconnect probably is more restrictive design than the 1" that's more appropriate for the high flow. Better yet, take the disconnects out altogether at least for testing to see how it runs, before thinking about changing anything else.

OR did the mulcher come with the 3/4 couplers?

Delmer

I don't have anything comparable. Does a 289D have 3/4 hoses and quick couplers? That would suggest that it's just not up to the job, then Tones suggestion to change the speed might be the next step.

Going from a 1" to 3/4" quick coupler is more than 25% more restrictive. The pressure drop on each fitting adds up, and I'd GUESS that a quick coupler equals the total pressure drop of half a dozen 90's. That is, enough to make the difference you're describing.

I just realized you're talking about two different mulchers on three different machines, so it might have been "geared" up for higher speed for the 299?

hvy 1ton

FAE uses different motor sizes to match carrier pumps on some attachments. Could be the current motor has too much displacement for your 289. 1" q/c on the 289 would help.

Pair of Hounds

Unit is a 2006 but the pump says 2013 with Gregory Poole cat tag on it.... I thought I asked all the right questions before purchasing. .. apparently not! I didn't know there were 2 versions of the 299. Xps xph...what a mess!

Tones

Occupation
The 289 I'm using is high flow. If I change the hoses to match quick connects will I increase pressure?

No , the hose size determans the flow. You can have the same pressure in a 1/2" hose or a 2' hose but you can't have the same flow in a 1/2' hose that you can in a 2' hose. Thats why any restruction like quick connects reduces flow but the pressure on either side of it is the same. Hope this helps.

Last edited:

Tones

Occupation
FAE uses different motor sizes to match carrier pumps on some attachments. Could be the current motor has too much displacement for your 289. 1" q/c on the 289 would help.
A bigger motor gives a heap more torque which is what you want. I changed my Fecon head from a 63cc motor to 2x 63cc motors giving a total of 126cc.

Tones

Occupation
Unit is a 2006 but the pump says 2013 with Gregory Poole cat tag on it.... I thought I asked all the right questions before purchasing. .. apparently not! I didn't know there were 2 versions of the 299. Xps xph...what a mess!

Truely Mate it's not that bad, somethings just take a little figuring out. It's not like you have to rebuild a new machine to get it to work. Now that tests you but end up with a whole lot of knowlodge which sometimes you can pass on:D

Pair of Hounds

Going to chat with FAE in morning. I'm actually only 90 miles from FAE USA in Atlanta. Hopefully I don't have to change the motor out. Not sure why it was replaced in the first place.... May be sized for the 299 XHP. Hopefully I can keep current motor and change other cheaper items...

f311fr1

I belive that a Cat 289D high flow is a max of 23 GPM. As stated before the CAT 299D XHP is 40 GPM. I have a FAE 125 size on an ASV RC100. At 36 GPM it is all the attachment it wants. How many QD's do you have on your CAT. You will notice 5 on mine. Top= case drain, next 2 = high flow, next 2 = low flow.ASV with FAE HI Flow mulch head 2.JPG

f311fr1

High flow and case drain for the mulch head motor, low flow for the door cylinder in the center. High flow is 1" QD.