• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Moving cars

TCTOWS

Couple months ago I asked some questions about buying a used loader on this site, I was advised to run away from the deal, don't even walk away. Well that turned out to be great advice, someone else bought the loader and it is back on craigslist for parts as the tranny took a crap.

Well here I am again looking for advice, I own a towing company and end up with a lot of scrap vehicles. What I think I want is a tracked compact loader. It will be used for moving cars around, (will need to lift around 4,000 lbs) cleaning snow out of our impound lot and off road recovery.

I want one with enclosed cab with heat and air. Any recommendations as to brand and model would be helpful and if there is any brands models I should avoid that would also be helpful

ship660

A company I do a lot of work for has had about every brand of tracked compact loaders. Their favorite by far has been the Takeuchi TL140. Second would be the Bobcat. The ones they had the most trouble with where CAT 247,257 machines with the boogie wheels and crappy tracks that loose the rubber lugs. A lot would depend on a nearby dealer to get parts when needed.

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
While you may be able to find a machine that will lift 4,000 I don't think it will lift a car due to the load center. Forklifts, for example, are rated xxxx pounds at 24,36,48" load center. You loose capacity quickly as you move out from the center. With the average car you'd be around at a minimum of a 36" center which is almost the length of your forks. I don't think there's a compact machine out that will lift 4,000 that far out. I have no doubt you could shove them all over the place or lift an end but not the entire car. We have a mixture of machines at work, the biggest is Takeuchi TL250. A 2,500-3,000 tool is all it wants.

Junkyard

lantraxco

Deere 544B or newer with forks.... Preferably with solid or foam filled tires for work around scrap. The CTL's are simply not big enough to handle what I am sure you will want to handle... BTDT, YMMV.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
Another option would be a tele handler with a light material bucket for snow removal. A tele handler would also make a good off-road recovery vehicle but it's big which makes it more difficult to move.

Another option would be a backhoe with forks but you would need to study the spec's on the pick point.

Ditto on the comments above that a CTL won't do what you want it to do.

TCTOWS

I really appreciate all the comments, went to one of the dealers today, have a L20B wheel loader, has roughly 10k hours, was used at a landscape supply company, comes with bucket and forks. Tires are good, pretty good over all shape. Was told it has a new motor, they are looking into when and who did that. They are asking 18,500.

Any opinions on this machine?

Last edited:

Mark13

I think a Tak TL250/TL12 or other big frame track loader will do most of what you want. Some of the larger cars, suvs, or vans might be a challenge but it'll definitely move them around on the ground.

I have a Tak TL230 and it handles cars ok for it's size.

Small Honda.

Burned car and a small Geo I think it was.

Chevy Venture Van

hvy 1ton

I think an l20 will be too small. I don't think it has a tipping load much over 4-5k with a bucket. I'd be looking for a 914, 444, or whatever the volvo equivalent is.

sheepfoot

I would think that machine would be light for what your going to do with it. We had a lot of wheel loaders in junkyards mostly in the two yard machine size. The three factors, width of foot print around 8+ wide, more stable. More lift and tilt power. Longer forks and wider fork frame adjustment width. Yes that is a nice machine and just looking at the specs real quick the width is around 5'8, around 4,600 lbs lift, and the forks look like only up to around 50" width adjustment, 48" length and load center at 20" from the back of fork. As long as your yard is level, have enough room to move cars without having to have it raised high to get around other cars, it may work for you. I would see what options are needed to get max counterweight on that machine. Also if you decide on it with salvage yard style forks it will be pretty expensive. Some places have portable fork extensions that you can buy, they work but you have to be very careful with them, they need to fit the fork tine width and not allow it to slide side to side.

Jonas302

If your vehicles are scrap , not setting them up to pull parts a track loader will get it done it will be a little light in the butt your cars will end up ruined if your on a big yard ground speed will be an issue You can get or build a wheel lift attachment which will let you move them around damage free and you can always pull or lift one end with a chain it all depends on your layout and needs a few cars here a there going to scrap, or a couple cars a day going to the back forty for selling parts

TCTOWS

The TL230 is a 8k unit, it is doing exactly what I need it to do. All I need it to do is lift it up put it on a trailer, move it around the yard etc. I plan on making a wheel lift attachment for moving the cars I can't damage. Currently I have a worn out case 430 farm tractor that will lift some of my cars but I can't move and it isn't safe. I can't imagine a 10k ctl won't run circles around my old Case. The dealer I am working with is letting me test drive multiple units today to see what I really need. Thanks again for all the information

JD8875

I have two good friends in the tow business. Both are running Tak tl250 machines in their yard. They'll pick up and move most cars and can drag or push whatever else comes along. One of them is equipped with a hydraulic winch attachment with hydraulic outriggers for doing off road recovery work. Around here when the mud gets deeps he keeps it moving recovering vehicles involved in crimes for law enforcement agencies. They are very capable machines pound for pound.

John

TCTOWS

So I was able to demo the L20b and tl10. The L20b would lift a car but was super light in the rear end and was not up to the task.

The Tl 10 did a good job on on cars that weighed between 2800 and 3500. It was able to pick up and move a 4000 lbs mini van, but I had to be gentle moving it around.

The Tl10 I used did not have the optional counter weights on it. I have pretty much settled on a Tl 12 with counter weights. They have a nice one with around 900 hours. It should do most of what I need it to.

Thanks a lot for all the replies and advice.