• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Motor-Grading Techniques

Fatgraderman

Occupation
Crash test dummy
I normally put the lift cylinders in float to take pressure off the pin. Then unlock it then use the side shift to move the circle over. If it doesn't line up I also use the blade slide to get it far enough over....just wondering what machines are you guys all driving.

I normally flip the switch and then wiggle the sideshift lever to get it too come out. From there everything gets slid to wherever necessary to get it lined up to where it'll pop in again. I just got used to doing it that way for changing blades in the shop. You don't end up marking up the floor that way. I run a Volvo 940B and sometimes a Deere 770G. My boss normally runs the Deere, but when one machine is down for whatever reason then he pulls out the 140.

pabear52

Occupation
Pipeliner, Earthmover, Miner,Dragline operator
Beware of the slope meter for finishing !
An outfit I worked for in West Oz insisted that I use this instrument rather than stringline ready for pavement. The crossfall was the same on both sides of the street. when I turned the machine around to grade in the opposite direction it did not "feel' right and when I checked with the string line I was going to be wrong by spades.
I checked several times with the stringline and the crossfall was still wrong.
I finished a short section to the right grade stopped the machine and marked with spraypaint where my wheels were then turned the machine facing the other direction and parked exactly over the paint marks. In theory the bubble on the slope meter should have been exactly in the same set on the opposite side of the dial as it was running on the opposite side. It was not!
Now, I would like to point out several reasons for the source of this problem. The first of course would be that it was not set up exact in the first place when the slopemeter was installed. Think about it and different tyre pressures could be another as would location of blade side shift, circle shift, artic positions and wheel lean all adding to a disproportionate transfer of weight to the set of the machine over your work making the instrument bubble set accordingly when the machine is turned around to run in the opposite direction.
For finishing this thing was a night mare and only suitable as a guide to help with crossfall or level for that matter. I hope this helps clarify problems for those who use this instrument. Cheers, Pa Bear.

pabear52

Occupation
Hi Joe, I am not too sure what could be stopping the circle side shift lock pin from coming out, low air pressure caused by leak in the line or a seal in the lockpin unit itself.

You could check this and then maybe locate blade and circle for its best balance over center, ensure the blade is lowered and on the ground and undo the front cover on the lockpin unit.
Beware of airpressure here and the spring inside that actually locates and holds the lockpin in. Then get a hammer and drift and knock the pin forward and out and you will be able to see what the go is with the entire thing. Just beware of any possible blade movement when knocking the pin out. Make sure the blade is on the ground.

The spring is not that ferocious that you cannot push it back into place with the cover and bolts by hand. There is a aluminium piston here too that has seals on it, can be corroded and rusty and junk with it. It should very easy to see what is the problem now and fix it pretty easy.

All the best for the new Year Joe, Cheers, Pa Bear.

Coastiebro

Occupation
Ex diesel mechanic now contractor
Hi there, top comments and feedback, I don't do much grading but enjoy when I do. Can relate to the comment by Ledsel about grading with your ass! I have tried to learn from "older masters" and like to learn on older gear first. You learn how to use your eyes to get fairly good level grades, but you need a reference to go off. I will add a pic to show what happens when your in a hurry. Was grading slope prior to graveling and hit a soft edge, my ass told me I was "off grade". Able to get unstuck by backing over the edge onto a small flat area, and carried on. You will see from the picture the grade of the road going up to the skid. Not flat, and a lot of lever pulling! Using a 12H 20140220_135824.jpg

pabear52

Occupation
Hi Joe, I am not too sure what could be stopping the circle side shift lock pin from coming out, low air pressure caused by leak in the line or a seal in the lockpin unit itself.

You could check this and then maybe locate blade and circle for its best balance over center, ensure the blade is lowered and on the ground and undo the front cover on the lockpin unit.
Beware of airpressure here and the spring inside that actually locates and holds the lockpin in. Then get a hammer and drift and knock the pin forward and out and you will be able to see what the go is with the entire thing. Just beware of any possible blade movement when knocking the pin out. Make sure the blade is on the ground.

The spring is not that ferocious that you cannot push it back into place with the cover and bolts by hand. There is a aluminium piston here too that has seals on it, can be corroded and rusty and junk with it. It should very easy to see what is the problem now and fix it pretty easy.

All the best for the new Year Joe, Cheers, Pa Bear.

PS I'm assuming you have already lowered both lift rams to the ground and alternately lifted them up and down in little jerks to try and get the pin to retract. Sometimes this can take quite a few minutes to shake it about enough for retraction before you start looking for the problem with the unit itself.

coastlogger

I wonder if anyone here can help me. Brushing up on my minimal grading skills. A few months ago I found some great stuff ie pictures and a tutorial on grading a country road,7 or 8 passes I think. It might have been this:http://articles.directorym.net/Using...s-a941620.html but it wont open anymore. Anyone have a link to the stuff Im referring to?
Thx so much for any and all help.

mrappels

Occupation
Diesel Plant Fitter
Hi all, i just wanted to say that i have really enjoyed reading this thread over the last few days. the knowledge on this site continues to amaze and astound me..
i am a Diesel plant fitter so i dont get much chance to "grade" but i know how they work and what does what. it is and will continue to be my firm belief that good maintenance starts with proper operation of the machine. i come from a place where i know more about how a machine works than the operator does.. a sad fact, but also it is part of making myself a better mechanic - knowing how it's supposed to be done that is.
so i decided to play a trick on the operators, who know how to get the blade up by the side which makes changing blades easier(140H). so i turned it to face backwards like randy's picture. after 15 minutes i had to put it back for him lest he rip something off.. he just stood there and shook his head.

thank you all again for the wealth of input. please keep

mrappels

Occupation
Diesel Plant Fitter
hi coastlogger, there is a pdf on operating techniques a page or two back, if that helps

Queeg

Occupation
Self employed retired idiot savant
Hey guys.. this thread was just what i was looking for last night.. Got to teach myself over Christmas vacation to operate a Grader. few hours till the rains started at least. it was an old Deere. dont know what model. but i was given a brief instruction, an a dont break it, chuckle and go on my way.
soo now a few months later now its drying out im going to help my buddy finish his horse arena and stables.

Thanks for all the ideas techniques etc. this thread will be repeatedly reread in the future.