1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Moldboard crack

Discussion in 'Motor Graders' started by 20/80, Dec 6, 2017.

1. 20/80

20/80 Well-Known Member

I tried searching through some threads looking for anyone having problems with their moldboards cracking on their Cat m series graders, our sister shop has a year old 12m-2 Cat and the moldboard has cracked along the bottom almost the full length of the moldboard just above the bolt holes for the cutting edges, also the main arm coming down from the circle which the moldboard attaches to also has cracked for the second time sense new, Cat is covering the repairs, the operator been grading for us for 12 years with no problems like this ever, on a side note though this is the second engine in this grader sense new, any info or your thoughts would be great thanks.

2. John C.

John C. Senior Member

Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
    Does the machine have accumulators and a slip clutch. If it does it might be worth your while to check the charge in the accumulators and run a test of the slip clutch to be sure it is releasing when the end catches something hard.

If it doesn't have accumulators you might have a discussion with the purchasing agent or the sales rep about why not and what will it cost to get them.

Good Luck

3. 20/80

20/80 Well-Known Member

I believe it does have a slip clutch for the moldboard not sure on where the pressure is set for it to release though, I will pass your info on thank you, the machine is just over 2 years old not a year sorry for the mistake.

4. ovrszd

ovrszd Senior Member

Retired Army
    The cracks you describe sound like vibration or stress cracks.

The crack along the length of the moldboard certainly isn't very deep or the moldboard would have failed by now. Regardless, that's not normal and shouldn't be accepted.

I'm not sure accumulators and/or slip clutch would have prevented this crack.

5. Bls repair

Bls repair Senior Member

Equipment operator,mechanic
    What does cat think is the problem? Are they going to extend the warranty? Are they replacing with new?

DB2 likes this.
  6. ovrszd

ovrszd Senior Member

Retired Army
    Yeah, I'm curious about this as well???

7. 20/80

20/80 Well-Known Member

The work is being covered by Cat, the machine is still in their hands and haven't heard what their thoughts are on this issue yet, I will keep you guys informed when I find out.