• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Memories for us old truckers

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
First clutch job at Mack St. Louis 1966 B63 with a Thermodyne and a Quad box. Dump truck with all sorts of extra bracing and shat under it. I earned my keep on that one rolled it out at six hours with a new input shaft, clutch and rear main seal. I ached for five days.

crane operator

They don't make hood ornaments quite like that anymore either. That and I don't know if I'd have the patience to fill both those 150 gallon tanks, or probably the pocketbook.

00Y0Y_cHQb5gohYId_1200x900.jpg

Truck Shop

Oh no! That A Car needs another 60" added to the wheel base and a 50 ton integral boom/wheel lift installed. With a custom 600 hp 3ZJ mechanical Cat and custom air charge cooler.
Six inch twice pipes, RTLO18913A, 2050 ftlb clutch, DS461 rears. With a nice visor- no drop visor though and Vortox air cleaners. :D That truck will sell fast.

Truck Shop

crane operator

1977 kenworth. It and a old lowboy for $14,000, but it isn't much of a lowboy, but would work ok for hauling around a dozer or small excavator/ farm use. Says its on walking beam now, but includes the rears to switch to spring ride?

If its a true walking beam, not spring over walking beam, that would be the suspension for that wrecker. It would ride rough, but it wouldn't flex in a hard pull either.

Looks to me like the drivers fuel tank is a little loose in the straps, and has walked itself over. Looks like they aren't getting the top 1/3 of that tank.

Kinda like the paint job- I'm not much for green, but it's got some character to it. Looks like the frame was green too at one time.

https://fortsmith.craigslist.org/hvo/d/1977-kenworth-1978-miller-35/6455009958.html

00L0L_ck62omUJrwT_1200x900.jpg

00O0O_hn5Qru8u3hV_1200x900.jpg

RZucker

Occupation
Mechanic/welder
Too bad they didn't get the proper elbows to put the stacks where they belong. Doesn't look like they are well supported. But that's just me.
I had a '74 Peterbilt once that I put a set of 5" pipes on using all new OEM brackets and elbows. When I sold the truck the new owner build a frame mounted baffle box and narrow mounted the stacks behind the cab??? WTH?
I do admit that my setup was a bit obnoxiously loud... 335 Cummins rebuilt to run as close to a 444 as possible, Pulse manifold and Holset turbo made it talk with authority. Oh, It did like to dine on 3406B Cats. A Cummins guy figured it was worth about 450HP at the time.

Truck Shop

You really need a set of stiff legs with walking beam suspension it acts like a teeter totter. Believe it or not your better off with air ride or Chalmers suspension on a tow/recovery truck.
Not a bad looking W9 but those stacks would have to go.

Truck Shop

RZucker

Occupation
Mechanic/welder
You really need a set of stiff legs with walking beam suspension it acts like a teeter totter. Believe it or not your better off with air ride or Chalmers suspension on a tow/recovery truck.
Not a bad looking W9 but those stacks would have to go.

Truck Shop

Yep. right back in the original mounts and put a muffler underneath. :cool:

RZucker

Occupation
Mechanic/welder
What's that word? Muffler? Please explain....
If you had heard my Pete, I think you may have said "That's too loud" I'm not really sure what Frankenstein I created, but it was LOUD and would run like a tall dog in heat at 102K gross. And when the Jakes were on it loosened up headliner screws. It was even annoying when it idled, it had this whistle noise that could drive you nuts.

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
If you had heard my Pete, I think you may have said "That's too loud" I'm not really sure what Frankenstein I created, but it was LOUD and would run like a tall dog in heat at 102K gross. And when the Jakes were on it loosened up headliner screws. It was even annoying when it idled, it had this whistle noise that could drive you nuts.

I've run a few like that....There are certain tones or resonance that gets to me but just plain loud ain't so bad. I don't think (haha) so not being able to hear myself think isn't all bad. My brother had a 60 series with 5" straights. It was obnoxious. I had a well built big cam that was very much like you describe. I could rattle windows two blocks either side of the road I was on!

RZucker

Occupation
Mechanic/welder
I've run a few like that....There are certain tones or resonance that gets to me but just plain loud ain't so bad. I don't think (haha) so not being able to hear myself think isn't all bad. My brother had a 60 series with 5" straights. It was obnoxious. I had a well built big cam that was very much like you describe. I could rattle windows two blocks either side of the road I was on!
It's kinda funny. I had an 86 Frieghtliner with a 3406 that was fairly quiet with 5" pipes. Had a nice growl to it.

crane operator

Truck Shop

I could see the walking beam acting like you say, that makes sense. I always thought those chalmers looked like a good heavy suspension, but I've never owned one.

My 60 series doesn't have mufflers and its pretty loud on the jakes. I'd prefer mufflers, but I'm not spending the $ until I have to.

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
It's kinda funny. I had an 86 Frieghtliner with a 3406 that was fairly quiet with 5" pipes. Had a nice growl to it.

My old 359 with a 400 Cat water jacket motor sounded MEAN with straights. Nice low growl. Never high and raspy. Most all of the mechanical Cats I've had with straights were lower. Getting into the E model and beyond they get raspier. My 359 with 8" straights was one you heard over all the others not because it was loud but because it was deep and rumbled. Plus it was geared low so it was always wound tight. I miss it. The guy who bought it has it for sale again. I'm waiting for the desperate price drop and I'll own again.

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
I'm still waiting for a texas trip after a 12v71 that someone mentioned, or did that all fall through?

Haven't made it down yet. Kids are busy or sick. Wife had the flu now we are the ER with what I suspect is an appendix awaiting removal. I'll catch a break and take a run down. Crap weather hasn't helped matter much either. I sure do want it!

crane operator

School and the county both sent out letters warning of the flu and to have the kids stay home if they're sick. Appendix is no fun, one of the guys I deere hunt with spent a bunch of time in the hospital after his burst.

Good luck and let me know if I you need a hand.

Wytruckwrench

I keep seeing that one advertised. I keep thinking I should go take a look. Nooooo!
The Autocar, that is. Would be something different to add to my collection.

Last edited: