• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Market for old Grader parts

Delmer

There's a market for anything. Are you asking if somebody is interested? or how to market them? or what they're worth? Are you considering parting your Galion?

The more common the model the easier it is to find a buyer, also, you may find the spare parts you have aren't in demand, because if they were going to break or wear out, they would have been used by now.

old-iron-habit

Occupation
Retired Cons't. Supt./Hospitals
There is a market for any old machine parts. A good place to start would be to find a forum for the manufacture of the machine. There is a forum for just about everything these days.

rick nelson

I don't want to part out my Galion, but I do enjoy making money on the side and was wondering if a grader like say a old cat, was bought right if there are people looking for enough parts to make it worth while.
Thanks again
Rick

old-iron-habit

Occupation
I don't want to part out my Galion, but I do enjoy making money on the side and was wondering if a grader like say a old cat, was bought right if there are people looking for enough parts to make it worth while.
Thanks again
Rick

Cat is probably the one that has the least profit in used parts. There are a lot of old Cat graders out there and parts are reasonable. One outfit in Wisconsin had a couple hundred in their yard a few years ago when I stopped by. The old 12s are pretty tough and don't seem to need a lot. Biggest problem is that if they are cheap they need the same parts that are unavailable because they are wore out and broke on most of them. Lots of new parts still available to. Our local chapter of ACMOC has had a Model 12 and a Model 11 gave to us in the last year. Both need work and will be club projects.

Ronsii

Occupation
s/e Heavy equipment operator
Same around here... cat 12's are everywhere, but when I need something for my Galion it takes quite a bit of searching and then chances are pretty slim I'll want to pay what they think it is worth ;)

So fortunately I don't use the old girl much just regrade to driveway once in a while and the odd an end job real close but if anything major ever goes that I don't have spares for I'll be scrapping it as much as I hate to.

old-iron-habit

Occupation
Same around here... cat 12's are everywhere, but when I need something for my Galion it takes quite a bit of searching and then chances are pretty slim I'll want to pay what they think it is worth ;)

So fortunately I don't use the old girl much just regrade to driveway once in a while and the odd an end job real close but if anything major ever goes that I don't have spares for I'll be scrapping it as much as I hate to.

At that point you will probably find a market for your parts. Many of your drive train parts are shared with many types of machines so that is a plus in both buying and selling parts.

Ronsii

Occupation
s/e Heavy equipment operator
Yeah OIH, The sad part is the guy I got it from had just scrapped it's twin so all the heavy iron( gearboxes,finals,etc...) went for scrap :( but I did get most all the hydraulic cylingers and a radiator :) the hard parts would be engine related as I have the gas/diesel IH straight 6.. although they made quite a few of em' for all sorts of applications and were very universal to other engine parts they made....