• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

MAC tool warranty, how good is it?

JPV

My Mac guy is the best, warranties drill bits and easy outs, 'nuff said! The way he started getting my business was by repairing my dad's old Mac ratchet for me. Local snap on guy isn't nearly as good so I don't buy anything from him. When I need snap on I track the guy down in the next town which isn't very often.

SARuger

My Mac guy is the best, warranties drill bits and easy outs, 'nuff said! The way he started getting my business was by repairing my dad's old Mac ratchet for me. Local snap on guy isn't nearly as good so I don't buy anything from him. When I need snap on I track the guy down in the next town which isn't very often.
I own some Snap-On but never been a big fan. I have some 1/2" drive long handle pear heads and a breaker bar, some 3/4" drive extensions and a breaker bar. I prefer MAC because my dad used it, kind of a chevy vs. ford thing. I also use a lot of older Craftsman, Proto, SK and Bonney. The good stuff stays on my truck, the cheap stuff, Kobalt, Husky, and Klutch, goes into the plants with me if I cant get the equipment to my truck to fix it. Ive had a good many tools grow legs and walk inside the buildings.

Reactions: JPV

JPV

I keep both my good tools and cheap tools on the truck, if there is a risk of not getting it back I grab the cheapos, or build custom tools. Actually what gets me to pull the trigger and spend the money for a good tool is when the cheap version doesn't get the job done and I am so mad about it it doesn't matter what it costs I want a good one! I have a spent a lot of money on some really nice ratchets but one of my favorites is a little composite 3/8 drive Pittsburgh that cost 10 bucks, had it for years and use it all the time!

SARuger

I keep both my good tools and cheap tools on the truck, if there is a risk of not getting it back I grab the cheapos, or build custom tools. Actually what gets me to pull the trigger and spend the money for a good tool is when the cheap version doesn't get the job done and I am so mad about it it doesn't matter what it costs I want a good one! I have a spent a lot of money on some really nice ratchets but one of my favorites is a little composite 3/8 drive Pittsburgh that cost 10 bucks, had it for years and use it all the time!

I spend money on ratchets and breaker bars, larger sockets snd extensions that i know im going to lean on and grunt. I have pittsburg tools that i swear i cant break, then some that snap if you look at them.

For cheap ratchets, i like the Orielly Auto Parts "Power Torque" brand, very good for the money. Lifetime warranty, and if they walk, not the end of the world.

ETER

In '82 I opened "truck" accounts on both the Snap on and Mac Tools trucks that use to roll into the shop once a week (every Thursday I think) back in Moline, Illinois...To me the quality of the two tool makers were very comparable, Snap on was probably 10 to 20% more in cost? I still have a good number of those tools that are used daily (and yes, I am still a "tool-a-holic"). I would have to say now when I buy a new wrench, socket, hammer etc., the quality is just not there anymore. I don't think that the tool companies in business now expect men to be using these tools 10, 20 or 30+ years from now...shame.
Regards, Bob

SARuger

In '82 I opened "truck" accounts on both the Snap on and Mac Tools trucks that use to roll into the shop once a week (every Thursday I think) back in Moline, Illinois...To me the quality of the two tool makers were very comparable, Snap on was probably 10 to 20% more in cost? I still have a good number of those tools that are used daily (and yes, I am still a "tool-a-holic"). I would have to say now when I buy a new wrench, socket, hammer etc., the quality is just not there anymore. I don't think that the tool companies in business now expect men to be using these tools 10, 20 or 30+ years from now...shame.
Regards, Bob

Well, i get to try the MAC warranty again. Friday i was installing the serpentine belt on a small block chevy powered Hoist F300 lift truck. My 3/8" drive flex head that i was using on the tensioner, stripped. Now granted, this tool is 55 years old but i was barely leaning on it. Im hoping he will just give me a regular long handle 3/8" drive. I rarely use a flex head, my knuckles hate them.

ETER

I will say that as far as ratchets are concerned, I do like and trust the newer 32 tooth? Snappys...Very tough teeth and work well in small / short swing areas. I also like the flex-heads for knuckle clearance and for working like speeder wrenches on hardware that is not quite finger loose.
regards, Bob

walkerv

I think you will have to just try. I know my big torque wrench has some issues on the head and the local truck says no more guts for free on that wrench. They have all refused to do anything for my 3/4" ratchet. It has a slight bend in the bar just behind the ratchet head. They also said that style of tool is no longer made so if it busts the dogs again they said it is scrap metal.

I'm not high on Mac tools anymore.
my matco guy just gave me a new long handle 88 tooth ratchet said no more guts left for my original , not sure i like it yet but was no charge

crane operator

my matco guy just gave me a new long handle 88 tooth ratchet said no more guts left for my original , not sure i like it yet but was no charge

Some of the matco stuff was armstrong, and the owners of armstrong (apex /bain capital) has now closed down the armstrong line. I'm not sure who is making the new matco ratchets now. I've actually got some matco round head ratchets were made by wright, and I like them a lot. If I ever need kits, I'm probably going to get wright kits, I would rather have these than a new one.

I did run into a MAC dealer a while back. I saw a new truck pull into a repair shop close to my shop, and I pulled in behind him. New truck guy, riding around with his "territory"man. I stepped on the truck, and introduced myself. Nice guy, and I was interested in some slides for a old mac box I have. Territory guy hammers in on me, "THOSE ARE NOT AVAILABLE, NO WARRANTY, NO EXCEPTIONS". Kinda acted like he wanted me off the truck. I took the hint.

I was really just interested if the slides were available, but I guess I'll just go through the factory.

The thing I thought was interesting, was the new truck guy never wrote down my name, business, asked where my shop was, nothing. You would think just starting out you would want any new contacts you could find, but I'm not a tool salesman. I'll say this, if he learns from his "territory" man about customer relations, he's not going to be in business long, and that's too bad.

walkerv

Some of the matco stuff was armstrong, and the owners of armstrong (apex /bain capital) has now closed down the armstrong line. I'm not sure who is making the new matco ratchets now. I've actually got some matco round head ratchets were made by wright, and I like them a lot. If I ever need kits, I'm probably going to get wright kits, I would rather have these than a new one.

I did run into a MAC dealer a while back. I saw a new truck pull into a repair shop close to my shop, and I pulled in behind him. New truck guy, riding around with his "territory"man. I stepped on the truck, and introduced myself. Nice guy, and I was interested in some slides for a old mac box I have. Territory guy hammers in on me, "THOSE ARE NOT AVAILABLE, NO WARRANTY, NO EXCEPTIONS". Kinda acted like he wanted me off the truck. I took the hint.

I was really just interested if the slides were available, but I guess I'll just go through the factory.

The thing I thought was interesting, was the new truck guy never wrote down my name, business, asked where my shop was, nothing. You would think just starting out you would want any new contacts you could find, but I'm not a tool salesman. I'll say this, if he learns from his "territory" man about customer relations, he's not going to be in business long, and that's too bad.
my matco guy retired 5 years ago there is yet to be a replacment i just happened to catch this guy up the street at the bus garage , took care of my ratchet and ordered a new square for my breaker bar havent seen him since i could really use that breaker bar every other day or so , i have never seen a mac tool guy survive more then a few years , my snap on guy vanished hasnt been to the shop in months I even owe him money , i see him around constantly even stops at a independant truck repair place across the street from us guess that mile drive down to our shop from the main gate is to much . I have started buying a couple things here and there from harbor freight as my original craftsmen tools break , I am warrantiing them and taking them home have to drive an hr to get to a sears now a days and have now clue how long that one will be in business for . if i need a quality sockets i have been ordering grey pnuematics for my self , and if the company is buying for some oddball size i will order a sunnex socket from local parts house they seem to be similar quality as gp so far