• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

M R S Scraper 18-yard parts?

Helen N

MRS scraper - Mississippi Road Service built 'er for the Navy, in 1967- Sorry, forgot to snap a pic -
This buggy has 4 rubber wheels. 2 in front. ( Empty Wt. 36k# !! ) 18 yds.

Anyway, are any parts available?

The collar, bolted under the big gooseneck, and holding on to a big 12"? ball, is cracked.

Even worse, the dump linkage is busted...
Looks like somethin bound up and broke the 6-ft. cylinder, which has been fixed,
but the curved track going up the back of pan is bent up, flange is wrinkled,
which caught the little 4-in. clamping rollers, and broke em clean off.
(Luckily, the cylinder didn't bust again!!!)
The wide roller against the outside of curved track seems OK.

The whole design is a mystery, any one know how it works?
Does the bucket hinge near the blade? And the whole load gets heaved up and forward?
All that action from the cylinder between the back wheels?
The cylinder pins directly to a pair of 16-in. square plates, which seem new (shop-built).
Also 2 new shop-built arms, maybe 6-ft. long, pin onto plates and run way down under pan.
But may have been involved with curved track gettin twisted?

OK- why not re-mount cylinder so no linkage is needed?
Instead of pushin straight forward, move the base down & forward, then push on a 45-deg. angle... up against back of pan.

No, leave base where it is, but elevate ram 5 ft.

No, get a 2 or 3-stage dump-truck cylinder....

Hmmm... Time to start drawing !!

surfer-joe

Helen, you are better off staying as far away as you can get from any MRS 110. Even when brand new these machines were prone to constant and never-ending breakdowns right out of the box. Unless you have deep pockets full of money and a high tolerance for frustration and vexation, look for something else to play with.

I operated several 110's in Rhode Island and Vietnam in the sixties and one thing you always remembered to do was pack some extra food and water when you left the base, as you never knew if the machine would make it back to base under it's own power. They were very under-powered and I never saw one with an 8V71 Detroit engine. All the ones I was ever around were powered by 6V71's, which made a lot of noise, but produced little usable horsepower.

Parts for these old machines are very scarce and mostly consist of used take-offs from units being scrapped out. No guarantee of quality provided of course.

For those that remember the smaller "air mobile" MRS scrapers, I would run into them around the Danang combat base occasionally. They were way under-powered with non-turbocharged 471 Detroit engines. Out near the 3rd MAF headquarters, the Marine engineers used them to haul in loads of gravel from various sources in the area. The main road going into the 3rd MAF area had steep grades on both ends and the little scraper tractors would slow down to a walking speed. I often came up behind them while using an MRS 200 tractor (400 HP) as a prime mover transporting various loads. (Our base at the time was Camp Hoover at the base of Freedom Hill.) As the little scrapers had a push block on the back, I would slow down, nudge up to the push block, and then pour on the coal. The Marine operators were usually about half asleep and when they felt the power come on in back, they would wave their arms indicating come on! That was a lot of fun.

Note: Not even the Seabee's had any of the smaller MRS units in their inventory, the bigger ones were bad enough!

Happy New Year to all!

LDK

Surfer-Joe, its good to see a post from you again, it seems like you have not been around for a loooonnng time.
A happy new year to you and everyone else on HEF.

Helen N

This machine has 3 original tires, 50 years old in Feb....... And the 4th is 49 years old.....

Delmer

No problem. You're not going to be standing next to it while it's moving loaded, are you? I'm assuming you're trying to, or considering getting this thing working again? And can you tell if this was built as a pull type scraper, or was converted to pull type? Sorry, I'm not much help figuring out how it's supposed to operate. I'll bet any parts are going to be make it yourself, which isn't that big a deal with this sort of machinery. A pull scraper is usually a crude enough piece of steel, that you shouldn't worry about the bad reviews of the self propelled versions.

Helen N

WELL... Hooked up hydraulics, dumped pan, up, up, and over!! . So far, so good!!!!
...Now to set it back down..
..... Pan is Real Sllloooooww comin down...
The big rollers Pushed pan up fine, the cylinder retracted fine...it brought the big rollers back fine.
But nothing pulled back on the pan.
The mini-rollers that are supposed to pull back are missing.
Back of Pan has a Track which seems to bind.....
....could build new mini-rollers, but a new track would be a bigger job....

All that linkage to amplify a 5-ft stroke to move the pan about 8 ft. ??

....it's very tempting to weld 2 ears onto back of pan, & pin the ram directly to pan, ....
Remove the rollers, and the arm, and any interference from track....

If dirt won't fall out at whatever pan angle that 5 ft stroke gives...then it's time to shop for a cylinder w 8-ft of stroke....!!! ??

Hmmmm......

lenray

WELL... Hooked up hydraulics, dumped pan, up, up, and over!! . So far, so good!!!!
...Now to set it back down..
..... Pan is Real Sllloooooww comin down...
The big rollers Pushed pan up fine, the cylinder retracted fine...it brought the big rollers back fine.
But nothing pulled back on the pan.
The mini-rollers that are supposed to pull back are missing.
Back of Pan has a Track which seems to bind.....
....could build new mini-rollers, but a new track would be a bigger job....

All that linkage to amplify a 5-ft stroke to move the pan about 8 ft. ??

....it's very tempting to weld 2 ears onto back of pan, & pin the ram directly to pan, ....
Remove the rollers, and the arm, and any interference from track....

If dirt won't fall out at whatever pan angle that 5 ft stroke gives...then it's time to shop for a cylinder w 8-ft of stroke....!!! ??

Hmmmm......
I HAVE the I-80 M R S tractor with a Detroit 4 71--it has a front dozer blade on it also and is 4x4 with 4 wheel steer...in Michigan

Peter_H

Occupation
Retired
I was looking at some older posts on the forum because I have a complete service manual for that machine that I would like to sell very cheaply. I have it listed on C/L in several states. Here is a link to it https://providence.craigslist.org/hvo/6137497766.html If the new owner is interested, ask him to contact me. Or if you know of any other W-14 owners pass the word please. Thanks