• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Luber-Finer oil fillter------------------NEED HELP

lenray

I have this old tractor---M R S---Mississippi Road Service. It has a canister type Luber-finer oil filter--the filter element is 15 inches high.
I removed the filter and the two rubber hoses on the bottom of the canister--these hoses go to the engine block. Needed to replace the hoses. Anyway I put some diesel fuel into the canister to help clean it out. I figured the fuel would drain out on the bottom of the canister where I had removed the hoses----DIDN'T DRAIN OUT..........I was able to hit them with air from the bottom where the hoses were located and one of them took air into the canister.
QUESTION----How do these things work and do I fill it with oil and also the crankcase. Are they plugged because the diesel fuel used for cleaning didn't drain our the bottom?????????//
thanks for any help-------len in michigan

Scrub Puller

Yair . . .

lenray. Luber finers are a bypass filter that used to be standard on some equipment or could be fitted to most as an option.

It's been a long time since I have seen one but they are pretty simple. I imagine the oil from the engine going into the housing and migrating inward through the filter media exiting the bottom through some sort of check valve or orifice contained within the tee handle arrangement that retains the element . . . I think.

I believe we used to change at 500 hours (every other oil and filter change) . . . they need to be filled with oil and vented of air as they are put back into service.

I remember there was a vent plug in the lid and a standard tank drain underneath to drain the oil . . . they hold quite a bit and need to be drained at the oil change. The larger Allis Chalmers tractors with fuel converters had them on the fuel as well.

Cheers.

Last edited: