• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Lube for Twin Disc

Pelicanroost

My Dynahoe 490 has a model TT-2221 Twin Disc transmission. My fluid gets a little foamy and I was told I am probably using the wrong type. Anybody know or have a manual that says what Twin Disc calls for in this transmission.

Thanks for your time, Pel

td25c

I have a twin disc tourque converter in my dozer,It calls for 10 wieght motor oil.I run tractor hydraulic fluid in it which is equivelent.I dont have any trouble.You might replace filters and check suction lines for loose connections.It generally takes air in the system to make foam in the oil.

Last edited:

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
What fluid are you using? SAE10, like 25c said, might work. And I think the tractor/trans fluid has anti-foam additives. You could also contact Palmer Johnson Power Systems for info or parts, they are a Twin Disk distributor. :)

Pelicanroost

Thanks for the input folks. I have been using tractor hydraulic/transmission oil.

I sent an inquiry to the Twin Disc folks but they have not replied.

Later, Pel

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Contact Palmer Johnson. I've worked with them before and they're good people. They sell and service Twin Disk as well as other brands. They can probably help you out. www.pjpower.com ;)

EZ TRBO

Occupation
Aggregate Utility, Maintence Welder
Contact Palmer Johnson. I've worked with them before and they're good people. They sell and service Twin Disk as well as other brands. They can probably help you out. www.pjpower.com ;)

I'm glad to hear someone has had good luck with PJ. Same TC rebuilt 3 times by them and its out again on our old JD 860 Scraper. And I had to locate the parts for them. The service manager was a dink and treated us like crap. Even tried billing US for parts we had. Needless to say we didn't pay the last of the $4,000 bill and after two months of calling we finally got a letter stating it was paid.

Trbo

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
I'm glad to hear someone has had good luck with PJ. Same TC rebuilt 3 times by them and its out again on our old JD 860 Scraper. And I had to locate the parts for them. The service manager was a dink and treated us like crap. Even tried billing US for parts we had. Needless to say we didn't pay the last of the $4,000 bill and after two months of calling we finally got a letter stating it was paid.

Trbo

Wow, I don't blame you, I wouldn't pay it either. Fortunately, for me I guess, I haven't dealt with their service department, I've only used them to obtain Twin Disk parts. The parts people I've dealt with did their job without error or problems, but if there service dept ain't worth a crap, don't say much about the company now does it. I'll take note of this. Glad to hear you got the "paid" letter. ;)

Pelicanroost

Many thanks to ATCOEQUIP for the direction to Palmer Johnson. A fella by the name of Jim Setz replied and attached a copy of the page out of a service manual that gives me the info I need.

If anyone else ever needs to know:

Type C3 oil in the following vicosity based on ambient temp below which preheat is required:

SAE 30.................................................32o F
SAE 15W-40..........................................32o F
SAE 10W-30..........................................10o F
SAE 10W...............................................10o F
SAE5W-20.............................................-10o F

Thanks again ATCOEQUIP, Pel

Clif K&L Clutch

Occupation
Sales, Service and mechanic
Pel,
I know that this is an old thread, but we carry the proper C2/C3 10W hydraulic fluid that works with your transmission.
Any fluid you use needs to have an anti-foaming agent in it.
We also carry 3 stage Twin Disc torque converter fluid.
If you are getting foam and bubbles is a result of a vacuum leak.
Finding where the air is getting into the system may be difficult, because fluid does not come out at the leak.
Many times it is a loose fitting, a whole in the line or a crack in a tubing.

Any other service questions, parts or units we can help with please don't hesitate to contact us 24/7.
Clifford 817.267.0129
websales@klclutch.com
http://klclutch.com