• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

LS170 Chain Box oil type/weight?

i am having a hard time finding the proper type of oil to use in the chain boxes. i had to pull the side panels and adjust the parking brake so i figured i will just change the oil while i am in there. also, how much oil goes into each side? i think i found 3.2 gallons but i want to be sure

can anyone help?

-cutts-

tmc_31

Occupation
Sports Lighting Contractor
cutts,

From my newly downloaded LS170 service manual, the chain cases get 1.8 gallons of API Service SH–CG4 10W-30 per side. My mechanic at the New Holland dealer says to use 80/90 gear oil (which is what I am going to use). I found the gear oil at Tractor Supply for $29.00/2 gallon bucket. You fill the chain cases (again, this is different from the gear boxes) from the oil level plugs located low on the chain box covers between the tires on the outside of the skid loader. These plugs require a 3/8" square drive for removal. My Mechanic says it only takes 4 quarts of gear oil per side, book says 1.8 gal/ side. I am going to fill them till the oil runs out of the level plug holes.

Hope this helps,

Tim

Tim,
thanks so much for the info... i am gonna get that workshop manual today as soon as i get a chance! thanks for the help and i was planning to hit up TSC today and get whatever oil i need!

Thanks again
-cutts-

i got it all buttoned up this weekend. went to TSC and bought the 5 gallon bucket of 80w90 (bc i use it in all of my trucks) and i am glad i did! i ended up using the whole bucket. i filled each side up until the oil started to dribble through the fill hole. ended up being exactly 2.5 gallons per side! i had my lovely wife help by cleaning out the old oil... what a nasty mess. makes me wonder what the previous owner did to this thing!

thanks for the help

-cutts-

Thenestle

Would love to know where the check drain and fill plug are for the gear Boxes I have all the other fluids done and I just can't seem to locate the boxes or the plugs any help would be greatly appreciated