• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Lowboy questions for newbie

Farmrboy

Bought a Deere 270LC also have a older D7 dozer and looking for a lowboy but don't really know what I need/want. I think I want a 50 ton trailer in case I ever get a bigger machine plus I think I need the 3 axles to legally haul this machine in Illinois. I see they make a drop side trailer is this a must have? Or is this for the really big machines? What else does a guy want? I know this is way to much trailer for a farm but looking to do a little side work and calling somebody every time gets expensive thanks guys.

crane operator

I just purchased a double drop lowboy in August. I haul a Grove rt 700b- its factory spec is 66,000lbs. I've got to be under 20,000 per axle in missouri. I went with a 3 axle talbert, with drop sides. The drop side allows you a higher ground clearance, without increasing your overall height. The crane is real top heavy also, and I think the drop side helps some with the sway.

I wouldn't get a drop side if you plan on hauling anything else besides big stuff. It would be a pain to load a skid loader or backhoe on, the skid would be to narrow, and you'd probably need ramps and blocks for the ground/ axle clearance on a back hoe.
Don't buy a ground bearing detach (one's with the center cylinders and a foot, like a jack), it will sink in the mud or ram holes in parking lots.
Mine is a 1996- purchased at auction (ritchie bros) in texas. It's going to get a paint job this winter- and I had to do wheel bearings and seals, and the main cross/pivot shaft was seized. That's not the manufactures fault, just maintence.20160930_185913.jpg 20161019_153717.jpg 20161027_145918.jpg

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
I wouldn't bother with a drop side. In 15 years hauling everything from a skid steer to a D11 there have only been about 5 loads that it REALLY mattered. You can't side load with them, the outside beam takes a beating because it's lower to the ground and usually catches the curb or whatever you're maneuvering around before the tire begins to climb over it. Like crane op said, if it was only big stuff maybe but from my experience it's not needed. The size machines you mention are just fine on a flat deck. Plus, in most cases resale on a drop side sucks! I had he!! selling mine.

Junkyard

bam1968

Occupation
Excavating Contractor
I'm going to put my $.02 in. I agree with the above about not needing a drop side trailer. I don't necessarily agree with crane op on the ground bearing trailer. Yes, the non ground bearing trailers are a better option but (generally speaking) they cost more and usually weigh more than a comparable ground bearing trailer. I do mostly farm type work and move my equipment frequently on a ground bearing trailer. I think I have had the trailer for about 4 yrs and can count the times on one hand that I have had an issue with sinking the pad. I mainly load and unload on gravel roads and have not had an issue doing that. So, basically saying, I sure wouldn't pass on a good cheap trailer just because it is ground bearing for farm type work.

tbone1471

Drop side is great anytime you need it. When you don't it is horrible. I prefer the non ground bearing trailers. I just think they are easier to deal with. I have pretty much the same trailer as crane op, I have a 4th axle.

We use a dump with a tag for the small stuff but it sucks making 2 trips when we could have made 1 if we had a flat lowboy.

Honestly, we decided to buy the biggest trailer we could afford at the time. And in hindsight we should have bought a slightly smaller one with a flat deck.

The only reason we bought one was because we needed to have control of movement times. Unless your spending over 10-15k a year in movements it really isn't worth buying one. The other thing to look at is hiring the move out is completely tax deductible.

I think my overall point is its not any cheaper running your own trailer then hiring out. It's just more convenient.

Randy88

If you farm, you want a level deck trailer, around a farm they are useful for more things than hauling machines, you can haul seed totes, large water tanks for spraying, tractors, farm machinery, skid steers, trucks and dozens of things.........................and everything is close to the ground, meaning no ladders or steps to get onto the deck.

You'll also notice shortly you get to change your driveway's and make them wider and a gentler slope so you can pull in easier.

I'll second the non ground bearing trailer, have had detaches for almost 20 years, in all that time there have been a couple dozen times when a ground bearing trailer would have caused problems, keeping in mind just once is more than enough to justify and pay for a non ground bearing trailer and depending on where and when it causes problems, might pay for the entire trailer if an accident is involved or someone gets hurt, which is usually along the road somewhere with too many other idiots who have no clue your stopped or having problems or refuse to slow down even the slightest.

Now since you've never owned a detach before, I'll make this simple, no matter who tells you its fine, how cheap they are, how much you'll save, how maintenance free they are and how much lighter its is, tell whoever is telling you that to shove the pony motor up their *** and put a wet kit on the truck from day one and run a detach off a wet kit on the tractor.

As for buying a trailer for future possible machines, buy one today that hauls what you have now, it'll also give you first hand experience in what you want your next trailer to be and how you like it. Best of luck