• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Loss of talent

check

Programing kids instead of teaching them to think and figure things out.
That's what indoctrination camps are for! Memorization, repetition and social engineering are on the agenda and those are the qualifications of teachers.
Teach classes in transgender sensitivity and they will be ready for a brave new world.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Local small trucking company just hired this old retiree for a slip seat operator position with the owner in his own truck. He wants a few days less time in the seat for other necessities I was just looking for away from the house time. He stated of all the applicants he feels he can trust me. No one under 45 could even shift the truck and the ones that could drive forward could not handle backing up. Hauling grain and fertilizer in end dump local short hauls. 18 years OUT of the saddle and still got the feel back pretty easy.

Kiwi-truckwit

I don't think I can disagree with any of the points made here, especially the one about the farmers kids. Growing up, I nor any of my friends came from farms, but I as a young boy I did spend a lot of my school holidays staying at a family friends dairy farm. As I got older, I'd spend the odd weekend and holidays working with my builder uncle, performing labouring duties as best as I could. Looking back, that's probably what started off my work ethic. Of course, in these days of H&S, you can't take kids on building sites, or take them with you when you're truck driving, and you certainly can't let them loose on the big saws or the tractors, which is a damn shame.

catwelder

Occupation
welder
if it makes yall feel any better I was going through some of my old college books getting ready to sell them when I open the math book and I landed on all the information saying how much you will make going to college it was in the first few pages so you could imagine that a starting class putting that in your head makes you think your on the money path

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
The propaganda starts early on College campus. Seems to me it infiltrated every course I ever sat in.

Labparamour

DMiller,
Be careful. I retired from a different career but, as I’d driven as casual through the years, stopped at local company asking if they needed part-time driver.
Now I have an assigned tractor and the only days I don’t drive are when I’m sitting grandson!
Company has nice rigs, lots of ponies...I just hate the traffic!

Looks like you have a nice ride, too!

Darryl

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Thanks, I intend to stay out more than in the rig. The owner said still enjoys driving so will be sharing weeks at least until he gets too busy. Gets too demanding will just make the decision I need to then either go full time or let them know not staying and await the next guy in line to take over.

Old '97 has a million on it, still drives well just a lot of cab outside air leaks, has straight pipes on it so loud as hell but not unbearable. Will do for the time being, always keeping options open. Has 12513 I believe, shifts fine where really do not need all the splits. 3406E is set up, supposedly making 5-520hp, feels like it, pyrometer is iffy so not hammering it too hard.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Finally crawled under to just look things over, 16713 E/F tranny in it. Seems light for the application.

catwelder

Occupation
welder
I got a sign of good luck and took math last because I wanted to avoid that since it had been about 3 years since the last math class I took

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Try being out of school twenty and being handed advanced algebra in a test quiz as you start a class for power station operator!! That was where I was in 1997.

Truck Shop

Personally I look at it this way with today's loss of talent especially when it comes to today's drivers. I have been known to yell out when a new driver is letting the clutch out
with the cab bouncing up and down leaving the shop the phrase used at the Pendleton Round Up-Rodeo. { LET 'ER BUCK }. Knowing I will be replacing a gear box or clutch
or rear drive before long. Job security.

Truck Shop

catwelder

Occupation
welder
Try being out of school twenty and being handed advanced algebra in a test quiz as you start a class for power station operator!! That was where I was in 1997.
I don't do math for 3 years before I got to that class I got there and they had a practice test to see who needs help with what and all I can say is I did not plan on making higher then a C in that class