• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Looking for input on a small portable crusher plant

ol'stonebreaker

Occupation
retired
Honestly, EK, I think you should contact MSHA before committing to a plant to find what hurdles you'll encounter. They have the power to break you right out of the gate. The local contractor I earlier referred to with the all in one jaw/rolls unit was on his own property with maybe one employee.
Mike

EK701

Honestly, EK, I think you should contact MSHA before committing to a plant to find what hurdles you'll encounter. They have the power to break you right out of the gate. The local contractor I earlier referred to with the all in one jaw/rolls unit was on his own property with maybe one employee.
Mike
Yep, that sounds like the best path as it appears MSHA doesn't screw around and any fines are not small.

ol'stonebreaker

Occupation
retired
If, after talking to them, you want to go ahead I think you can request a courtesy inspection before buying the plant components to see what changes will have to be made.
Mike

cuttin edge

Occupation
Finish grader operator
Here every crew, or one man for every 5 has to be first aid trained every year. Everyone on the crusher crew and asphalt plant based to have lockout training. Pipe crews need trenching and confined space. Weekly toolbox or talgate meetings for every crew. Daily jobsite hazard acessments. Monthly site inspections, joint health and safety committee, with monthly meetings. Annual leadership training for supervisors. Annual safety orientation for all employees. And copies of all that paperwork go to OHA. Every 3 years we have to pass a safety audit. Paperwork, random employee interviews. If we don't pass the audit, we lose the right to bid government work

old-iron-habit

Occupation
Retired Cons't. Supt./Hospitals
Two years ago MSHA hit every small gravel pit around here. They cited every last one for something or other. One pit here was a one man river rock operation with a small 1950s Manitowoc dragline and only his one truck that he drove. No other equipment. They shut him down until he made and installed all kind of guards for the moving parts in his dragline as they claimed in the citation that one of his employees could get injured if they went in the house while he was operating. He appealed the citation as he has no employees but lost. They picked him to death on the re-inspection and he was shut down for almost 6 weeks of his summer season. They are not known to be human, at least in this state.

funwithfuel

Occupation
Mechanic
^^^^^^^^^^
Trump has already stated he wants to reduce regulations, the downside is it takes a lot of time to steer a ship. If he cuts their budget, they'll just generate more through fines and fees

Raff

Hi EK701

You should give the guys at Portafill USA a call. They have a impact crusher with onboard screen that would produce somewhere in the region of 70-90TPH of product. Plant only weighs in at 24ton/ 52,000lbs and is undersize load so is mobile enough to take from job site to job site.

Www.portafillusa.com

EK701

Hi EK701

You should give the guys at Portafill USA a call. They have a impact crusher with onboard screen that would produce somewhere in the region of 70-90TPH of product. Plant only weighs in at 24ton/ 52,000lbs and is undersize load so is mobile enough to take from job site to job site.

Www.portafillusa.com

Thanks, I'll take a look.

jaclo

Just wanted to piggy back onto this thread as our operation is also looking at acquiring a crusher. We have a job coming up demolishing some hog farrowing units, which includes somewhere from 20-30k tons of concrete. We've gotten some numbers from a couple local guys and we can get it crushed for $7/ton. Considering the learning curve and headaches involved from what i've read in this thread, should we just pay the sub and move on?

That being said, if we were to pursue purchasing our own, can anyone make any recommendations as to which type would work best for us? I'm thinking tracked undercarriage, 80k lbs with a remote, we would feed it with a hoe and already have all the support equipment we need. There would likely be some rebar involved. We would want it crushed to 1" minus. Basically small enough for a road covering.

funwithfuel

Occupation
Mechanic
A portable, track mounted machine , I don't think you'll come in under 80K.
There are a lot of good product out there. I am partial to KPI . No product will tolerate repeated feeding of rebar. It damages everything as it is "non-crushable" You would spend a lot in repairs . The repair cost should justify rental of a hydraulic hammer . Break the rebar out of the concrete, then crush the leftovers.
FT or RT 4250 HSI rotor crusher is about the most resilient platform yer gonna find.

Hope this helps a little.

jaclo

A portable, track mounted machine , I don't think you'll come in under 80K.

I was skeptical myself, like I said we're kind of starting at square zero on this crusher deal. Definitely gives me somewhere to start looking.

Since I'm asking, how many actual crushing hours on a unit before you start to worry about overly extensive repairs, assuming no abuse?

Last edited:

funwithfuel

Occupation
Mechanic
The repairs and maintenance, it depends entirely on the material being crushed vs application.
For example,I've seen jaw crushers eat limestone for years without significant repairs, but maintenance was not neglected. I've also seen a rotary crusher that couldn't run 16 hours without major liner and blow bar service. Customer was feeding it a super tough high silicate granite like rock.
Again, it all depends on the job and the application.

rockbreakr

It sounds like you are looking to do about what I do. We use tracked machines with a jaw feeding a closed circuit impactor. I would suggest a jaw into a cone for you with just hard rock. We have an impactor because of all the junk and steel we run through. We also can take just the impactor and crush concrete or old asphalt but I would never put hard rock over 6" in the impactor. We mostly make 3/4" minus or 1 1/2" minus.

Attachments

• IMG-20160128-WA0026.jpeg
    IMG-20160128-WA0026.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 32

Grease Gun

Like jaclo, I'm jumping in on this thread because I don't see anywhere else to go with it. I'm looking at adding a portable concrete crusher to an excavation business.....50 ton machine or smaller. Anyone have a ballpark number on annual maintenance for a crusher like this? Also, any recommendations on type of crusher or model? Thanks.