• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Looking for Dozer info.

CavinJim

Amen, td25c! Good example is the house we bought two years ago. Wonderful basement, near 8' ceiling, dry as you could want, and clean. But some #÷×@$# stacked the fill on three sides of the house above the top of the foundation! It's well onto the band board. Good thing it has very well done stucco, but stucco should daylight 8" above ground, not 8" below! One has to wonder how much more it cost to dig the basement that extra foot instead of leaving the sill well above grade? Sigh, just one more project.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
I bought my old loader with the intent to use it at least five to ten years, that will get most of my investment back heaven forbid a major failure occurs. I use it for a lot of small work most grade contractors decline on as too short duration, when I had the roads put in I had a contractor set them one for time on site and two for a great price. I had it here when dug the basement otherwise would have contracted that out as well.

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
What county is your property in. The bank run gravel with the scotch bloom looks pretty familiar.

As you probably know plenty of people with plenty of time can get about anything done. Problem is the permits and the local government standing by with their hands out. The guy that knows them well will get the job done faster and cheaper than you would ever have a chance for. Check around for that small contractor with the dump truck, dozer and an excavator who knows everyone in the county.

I see plenty of small dozers and they are either worn out or have been sitting for so long all the joints are frozen. Either way they will either need plenty of labor and/or parts by the wheel barrel load. If you have lots of time and a moderate amount of money go for it. In the end though you likely won't save any money by doing it yourself.

If you still want photos of what to look for, post it up. I have lots of those.

Boatmedic

The property is in Pierce County and in Graham. Scotch Bloom is the State weed and those rocks grow by the dozens everywhere around here. :D

I had a few days to chew on everything everybody mentioned. I called a dirt contractor up last week and kinda mentioned what I was trying to do. Yea, he went into things I had not thought of and even mentioned permits are required to clear the brush and move the dirt. So, I'm thinking it's looking more and more like the job is gonna get hired out. I am meeting with him Monday or Tuesday to walk the property.

As was suggested in an earlier reply, we will probably just end up getting a loader/backhoe or a Skid-steer and a mini excavator after all the big work is done. We put up 80' of retaining wall and chain link fence in front of our house and the the soil (or should I say rocks) was just as bad here. I rented the machines a couple of times but there was a lot of time working shovels and when I showed the misses the pictures of the dirt from the property, her first comment was "we are getting a tractor" I'm just so blessed that she iis on my side for getting tools. :D

Last edited:

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
That's a real nice area and the ground is good for building on. It doesn't grow much of anything but Douglas Fir trees, weeds and moss.

Pierce County has been following what King County was doing over the last ten or so years and building permits are getting complicated and expensive. A good dirt contractor can be your best friend.

Good Luck!