• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Looking at first backhoe - Case 580B CK

Countryboy

Occupation
Load Out Tech. / Heavy Equipment Operator / Locomo
Welcome to Heavy Equipment Forums hmover! :drinkup

Phil

Occupation
retired operator and mechanic
Welcome hmover. I like the 580D alot, good choice for what you are doing and good resale value with the 4-wheel drive. Let us know if you are serious about buying it and we can all pitch in to help. Phil:) :)

Bayrat

Occupation
Dig Safely Field Representative
Can't go wrong with the 580 hmover IMHO. Welcome!

coopers

Second everyone's comment. 580 series very good, the D was a good model. They're still out there working hard and running great.

Blake
WA

melben

Occupation
Retired 50 Yrs with Case dealership
That one picture shows a control valve and temp sender as used on a power shuttle, not a hydro, Good advice from others is to buy no earler than a 580c because of servicability as they were unitized construction, If you have to take the power shuttle unit out, you will be kicking yourself around , a good wrench will have the PS unit out of 580C 2wd in an hour.Mel

blacksmith

Occupation
blacksmith
Hi all

I am in the UK and have just bought 1986 580G Construction King. I think this was built (in France) for the european market but if anyone can fill me in if it was found anywhere else I would be interested. It comes with a David Brown 219 engine - currently mine has a big end gone and I am trying to locate a manual to help me fix it but here in the UK there are not so many around. Have the 580 family changed a lot from one to the other or did they share many of the same parts?

Were these machines badged as another model elswhere?

Attachments

• Case580Gsmall.jpg
    Case580Gsmall.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 3,839

Cavalo

Occupation
Dependant backhoe contractor for provincial natura
In the US and here in Canada they were badged 580 B, C, D, E (yours) then K, L, and now M. No G's.......
I know that the early K's had the same engine as the E's, which was a cummins engine I believe, but one thing I know is that the E's here in US and Canada didnt come with those big 18" wheels on the front..........they were the smaller ones, I believe they were 16" tires. I dont know this was an add on to your machine or it came that way back in the day, but I would imagine that that is a completely different front end as well.:beatsme
I had an 86 E as well and I might actually have the manual for it, I will check it out tonight and see if it is still in my office.

Last edited:

Elast

Occupation
Heavy Equipment/Forestry Service Manager
First Part of Thread:

580B power shuttle tractor is the unit posted. Stay away from these. In their time they were awesome. They are very labor intensive/costly to repair if something goes wrong in power shuttle area. Rest of tractor is easy to get parts for as they interchanged with alot of different models both CE and AG. Alot of parts available aftermarket also.

Second Part of thread:

580C/D were great tractors. They both had the model 35Hoe, both had the Case 207 Engine, same power shuttle, Almost the same transaxle(many parts interchangeable) Hydraulics a little different. Major issue was engine, 207 that had to be rebuilt and crank ground were subject to crank breakage. A .020 grind would weaken the crank just enough to break under heavy load. Many of these still working today. The "D" had a 4wd option that the "C" did not. The best "older" model hoe from Case was the 580SE. This is in some peoples minds the best backhoe ever made, till this day.

3Rd Part of thread:

The 580G was manufactures specifically for the European market. A few made it over here but they do not have the same parts as their North American counterparts. That had the David Brown Engine and the International farm tractor rear end. The hoe is completely different than our version. Some parts are available here but very few. Most Case dealers do not even have access to the parts information. There was never a North American service manual available. Front axle was different also.

Hope this helps...........Elast:)

blacksmith

Occupation
blacksmith
"In the US and here in Canada they were badged 580 B, C, D, E (yours) then K, L, and now M. No G's......."

Cavalo - thank you for that very useful piece of information, I just googled the Case 580E and it sure looks the same. From your description it may well be the one but did they make them with the David Brown 219 AD4/55 engine for the Canadian/USA market like they did here? Mine does not have the Cummins unit and I have a big end gone so would like to know some technical details about the AD4/55, how to get the unit out and torq settings etc.

I would be very interested to know if the manual was the same for mine, as I might be able to get one for an 'E'. Here in the UK you do see a some Case 580's, (and I have been looking for a long time for a second user manual for a 'G' but no luck). By far the most common (?) popular machines are JCB - the secondhand market for these backhoes is very busy - they are increasingly being bought up and shipped out to Poland and other european countries.

thank you again.

blacksmith

Occupation
blacksmith
"The 580G was manufactures specifically for the European market. A few made it over here but they do not have the same parts as their North American counterparts. That had the David Brown Engine and the International farm tractor rear end."

Elast - This is very interesting and thank you for unravelling a bit more of the mystery! Can you tell me (a novice when it comes to plant & large machinery) a bit more about the 'rear end' - do you mean the torque and shuttle and final drive? What is the 'International farm tractor' sorry if it's a dumb question but it will help me.

Elast

Occupation
"The 580G was manufactures specifically for the European market. A few made it over here but they do not have the same parts as their North American counterparts. That had the David Brown Engine and the International farm tractor rear end."

Elast - This is very interesting and thank you for unravelling a bit more of the mystery! Can you tell me (a novice when it comes to plant & large machinery) a bit more about the 'rear end' - do you mean the torque and shuttle and final drive? What is the 'International farm tractor' sorry if it's a dumb question but it will help me.

The machine is made up of components. The engine, powershuttle & torque assy(fwd/rev transmission) and transmission/differential assy(Transaxle). I am referring to the transmission/differential assy when I say rearend. I believe that the rearend/transaxle assy is either from an International or David Brown farm tractor. It is modified of course for this application.

Hope this helps......Elast:)

Elast

Occupation
Sorry forgot to add that the 580E is nothing like the G. Some of the sheetmetel is the same and the power shuttle is the same but thats it. The engine, transaxle and alot of the backhoe are different.

Go here and enter 580G under model, then search. The relevant parts books will come up.
https://webparts.pvassociates.net/cnh/main.php

Do same fro any model and you can compare parts.

Elast;)

Countryboy

Occupation
Load Out Tech. / Heavy Equipment Operator / Locomo
Welcome to Heavy Equipment Forums Elast! :drinkup

kirk22

Hello. My first post here so I can't start a new thread. :(

I just picked up a 1973 580B today. It will be used for general light duty farm type work and maybe dig a foundation or two.

It's going to need several seal kits before it's usable. I've never rebuilt a hydraulic cylinder before. About how much time is involved to do one cylinder?

Also on the leaky cylinders I cannot find any numbers stamped on the end. Would these be split piston or do I need to pull them all apart before ordering seal kits?

Kirk

coopers

We could usually get a cylinder done in a couple hours, it really isn't too hard. It's just a pain to handle one alone because they're quite heavy and w/ fluid getting all over the place it just makes it that much more of a pain to handle alone. But they don't take long to rebuild. As far as your second question, someone else (like Phil) will have to answer that. My boss just knew what he needed so it was already at hand. Is it an extendahoe or standard hoe? B's are good machines.

Blake
WA

kirk22

Thanks for the reply. You sure are a friendly bunch here.

It's a standard hoe.

At this point I want to avoid having 7 cylinders off the machine at one time and the parts supplier is 1 hour away. So I'm a little confused on the best way to proceed.

I'm wondering if there aren't any tricks to deal with the fluid to minimize loss. Like maybe disconnect one side of the ram and run it one way to put all the fluid into one side and then disconnect one hose and pull the piston back out to push the fluid into the reservoir. Will that work in real life?

Elast

Occupation
Thanks for the reply. You sure are a friendly bunch here.

It's a standard hoe.

At this point I want to avoid having 7 cylinders off the machine at one time and the parts supplier is 1 hour away. So I'm a little confused on the best way to proceed.

I'm wondering if there aren't any tricks to deal with the fluid to minimize loss. Like maybe disconnect one side of the ram and run it one way to put all the fluid into one side and then disconnect one hose and pull the piston back out to push the fluid into the reservoir. Will that work in real life?

On the older machines there are at least three options for the seal kits. In most instances you will have to dissassemble cylinder to tell which packing you have if you cannot find the cylinder number on the gland. Even this is not perfect though.

As far as minimizing oil loss you can do as you suggested but you have to hold the control lever in the position you are trying to drain in order for the oil to get back to the resevoir. You have to remember though that the anticav valve will sometimes let oil back into the opposite side regardless of what you do. Best bet is to get a clean pail and unhook the lines and put into pail and SLOWLY move rod in and out untill cylinder is m/t. You can then reuse oil after cylinders are rebuilt.

Good luck.....Elast:canada