• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Logging Accidents: And They Walked Away.........

MOUNTAIN MAN

(Life)Tete Jaune B.C/(Live)Grande Prairie AB
Occupation
School, grd 10 now!
This was somewhere in Alberta, the guy lived if I remember right. He was talking on his cell phone and ran into the slow moving hook truck.

Hi, this was probably outside Grande Prairie on hwy 40, looks like a Risley truck, or even a Murtron truck, if it is on hwy 40, then it's further than the Can-For road into Grande Prairie. Thanks for the post.

Born2clearcut

This one the guy did walk away but he should have put on the brake first tho. It rolled backwards down the road and off the corner went about 300 feet through a setting and did a back flip through the tree line ( you can see the hole in tree line it made above it ) took out about 6 standing trees and landed on it wheels where it sits .No major damage had too pioneer a road down too it to get it out. Machine is a 668 CLARK it was a damn fine skidder. It i think it got more time as a tow truck towing loaded off hiways up the adverse's in Narrows Inlet

Attachments

• 668clarkSm.jpg
    668clarkSm.jpg
    293 KB · Views: 7,368

72HDX

Occupation
Off-Highway Truck Driver
This is one I swam away from

n863070706_4133748_93071.jpg

n863070706_4133749_97251.jpg

S3600043.jpg

n863070706_4133747_18401.jpg

The barge was loaded when it happened. It was 2 in the morning and I was spining my tracks in place to bring them parallel to the side of the barge. I guess the one set was at the edge, and since the other set was still in the air and the counter weight was hanging over the back, the track was touching on the metal edge and it slide over backwards into the drink. It happened in about 5 seconds.

2stickbill

Occupation
Sniffin diesel fumes.
This is one I swam away from

n863070706_4133748_93071.jpg

n863070706_4133749_97251.jpg

S3600043.jpg

n863070706_4133747_18401.jpg

The barge was loaded when it happened. It was 2 in the morning and I was spining my tracks in place to bring them parallel to the side of the barge. I guess the one set was at the edge, and since the other set was still in the air and the counter weight was hanging over the back, the track was touching on the metal edge and it slide over backwards into the drink. It happened in about 5 seconds.
So Link Belt makes an under water Yarder.Great for getting the sunk logs out.Whats all the Brown stuff in the seat?

Murk100

Occupation
30 yrs GY Operator
You were lucky to get otta this pickle, I know a guy that loaded a timberjack on a equipent barge and drove it right of the the stern into 60 ft of water at night, luckly the deckhans held their flash lights over the stern so he could see the light and swim for it. he was OK I know and have herd of people that were not so lucky one was driving a hyab truck up the ramp from the dock and the wooden stringer broke rolling the truck into the water where he drowned. Another one loading a barge with a Madill 3800 slide off the ramp landed in the ocean traping him in the cab, I believe it was in 6 ft of water. Sad stuff be care full out there

Greatwestcam

Occupation
Driver/Mechanic
Here's one where the drive line broke on a steep hill side, the rock bank wouldnt allow him to ditch it so he bailed out. truck went 200 feet down off the road clearing its own path, ending up standing on its nose still running, half covered by the load. trailer stayed up on the road some how with the compensator still pinned on. the driver had to climb down to it to call for help and a roll of toilet paper! climbing back to the road he wrenched his knee. the gapple yarder and loader finally pulled it out and it went to town and was all rebulit. 1971 Pacific P-16, Powell Daniels Cont.

Attachments

• img101.jpg
    img101.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 5,920

skadill

Slippery Slope for a Samsung

2001, Coastal B.C. shared photo,wont say names.Well known Co. The Barge pic is what the machine looked like before

Attachments

• DSC_0037.jpg
    DSC_0037.jpg
    177.4 KB · Views: 5,635
  • DSC_0045.jpg
    DSC_0045.jpg
    229.2 KB · Views: 5,636
  • DSC_0046.jpg
    DSC_0046.jpg
    259 KB · Views: 5,669
  • DSC_0047.jpg
    DSC_0047.jpg
    245.1 KB · Views: 5,614

JTL

Occupation
IUOE Local 302
^^^ Did his road crap out from under him? Not fun.
Here's what happens when the guy you work for, thinks that ice grousers cost WAY to much. The same buddy that sent me all the flipped J.D. skidders sent me this one. Those guys spend more time upside down then the do logging it seems. But when you hire the Jimmy Smith's of North Idaho, what do you expect?

Attachments

• 005 (2).jpg
    005 (2).jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 6,713

Born2clearcut

Hers a few pictures a buddy sent me he was pioneering a road in and slipped off the rock

Attachments

• jephati sidesm.jpg
    jephati sidesm.jpg
    385 KB · Views: 5,888
  • jephaticab sidesm.jpg
    jephaticab sidesm.jpg
    412.2 KB · Views: 5,545
  • jephatibot sidesm.jpg
    jephatibot sidesm.jpg
    386.7 KB · Views: 5,855
  • jepboom sidesm.jpg
    jepboom sidesm.jpg
    390.7 KB · Views: 5,415

dirty4fun

Great pictures , gives me a headache thinking how much it would cost to get them right side down again. Then decide if it was scrap or fixable. Thanks for sharing!

Born2clearcut

Far as i know their was very little damage to the Hitachi on post #89 .. Here's a couple older pic's of truck crash ,far as i know everyone walked away. The trucks have wooden reaches and think they call chesse blocks for stakes ?. Also if someone could tell me what type of truck that is ? ;)

Attachments

• logging truck headonsm.jpg
    logging truck headonsm.jpg
    376.5 KB · Views: 6,803
  • loggin truck headon2sm.jpg
    loggin truck headon2sm.jpg
    345 KB · Views: 7,046

Hayesno1

Occupation
Project manager
Far as i know their was very little damage to the Hitachi on post #89 .. Here's a couple older pic's of truck crash ,far as i know everyone walked away. The trucks have wooden reaches and think they call chesse blocks for stakes ?. Also if someone could tell me what type of truck that is ? ;)

Yes they called them cheese blocks. Truck on right side is a Hayes from the 40's. Truck on left might be a Hayes as well but I cant tell for sure.

Kiwi Logger

I just found these in an old e-mail, here is part of the official report!!! Very lucky people

.What happened.

An idiot driving a Ford Telstar TX5 was travelling at what appears to be
excessive speed ran up the rear of Truck 521. Two overhanging stems
passed through the windscreen and out the rear window, missing the three
occupants of the car.
The car travelled 7 meters up the logs before hitting the rear bumper
of the truck with such force that the car was jammed under the bumper
and suspended off the ground by the two logs. The occupants of the car
jumped out onto the road.
The driver of 521 was unaware of the incident and continued on his
journey along Goudies road for 2.8 kms and down Pukapuka Road for a
further 3.4Kms.Truck 655 RFH stems unit was travelling up Pukapuka empty. 521
slowed to pass. In doing so the dust reduced to the stage where
Bill saw a part of the car's front bumper in his rear vision mirror. He
asked Jimmy (on R/T) what was behind him. Jimmy advise a car was
hanging off the stems unit. On inspection the found no passengers
in the car. Bill left the truck and went with Jimmy to locate the
driver etc. They found them on the side of the road near to the scene of
the collision on Goudies Rd.

(The ambulance and police arrived)

LogAccident1a4.jpgLogAccident1d1.jpgLogAccident1b3.jpgLogAccident1c2.jpg

Last edited:

jr-transport

Occupation
Trucking (O/O)
Here is my brother's wreck about a year ago. Driver of a delivery truck pulled out about 150 feet infront of him. my brother was fine, the other driver had a concussion and some minor injuries. Other guy was awful lucky to be alive, my brother hit him square on the door so hard that it lifted the steers of the delivery truck right off the ground and threw him into the ditch facing 180 degrees from when he was hit. both pretty lucky.

Attachments

• IMG_1881 copy.JPG
    IMG_1881 copy.JPG
    63 KB · Views: 6,215
  • IMG_1873 copy.JPG
    IMG_1873 copy.JPG
    53.7 KB · Views: 6,164
  • IMG_1841 copy.JPG
    IMG_1841 copy.JPG
    67.5 KB · Views: 6,871

Haddy

Occupation
earthmoving contractor
Hey Kiwi Logger . As soon as I started looking at the other photos I remembered about the very accident you posted . Don't know whether it's true or not but the story going round at the time was that there was a big bag of dope involved ! Haddy . PS Was a few years ago now

Occupation
Running Supersnorkel
Front sling broke when load was 10 feet over truck. No damage to truck what so ever. Happened again one week later at other dump same thing ,broke trailer stake this time.Knobs were not babbited properly and they pulled.

Attachments

• big logs 013 (Custom).jpg
    big logs 013 (Custom).jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 5,330
  • big logs 014 (Custom).jpg
    big logs 014 (Custom).jpg
    55 KB · Views: 5,557
  • big logs 016 (Custom).jpg
    big logs 016 (Custom).jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 5,168