• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Log Ship

Lashlander

While loading, the aft crane on a ship was malfunctioning. The ships crew decided they would work on it. Somehow they got the winch into neutral and dropped the boom over the side. Luckily none of the steveadores were under it at the time. They were just starting to load the aft hold so the hatch doors were already open. They can't sail with them open, plus this ship was headed for Korea and didn't want to sail with an empty hold, BC is not the only ones selling timber overseas.
I flew over and took measurements of the ship and determined I could load the hold, but because of crane capacity and bundle weight we would have to load it from both sides, plus I couldn't reach over the stantions on the ship with a bundle. The bundles weigh between 20 and 25 tons each. First thing we did was pick the buckled crane and set it up on the logs already loaded.
I'd load one side until the Captain came out and said enough list, then we'd move to the other side and load until stopped. We averaged 6 bundles an hour for 12 hour days. It took 7 days for a little over 500 bundles.

Last edited:

Bob Horrell

Charter Member
Occupation
Owner/Operator grading business
I don't think you would have to worry about that ship sinking in an accident.

DigDug

Thanks for the pics. What is the wood? And what is the market for it? Lumber , chop sticks, furniture?

Countryboy

Occupation
Load Out Tech. / Heavy Equipment Operator / Locomo
Great pics Lash. :thumbsup

And do I even have to say it.......:yup