• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

loading a scraper in 3rd gear?

637slayer

Occupation
scraper hand
Personally I never do it, over the years I have worked with people who do, or at least try the shotgun method, load the first part in 3rd then lug it til it grabs 2nd. We are running 6 637g 2. They have less than 2000 hrs on them, two of them are having trans probs. they wont shift back into 2nd, they will downshift from 8th to 3rd then lug til they die, or hit 3rd then jump into 6th. Could the continuous 3rd gear lugging while trying to load be causing a prob?

637slayer

Occupation
scraper hand
Ya he just went back to the shop to run the codes, the code usually has something to do with the downshift silinoyd,

scraperX

do not load in 3rd gear. in rare cases though, the back man has initially tagged up in 3rd (to catch me), but quickly downshifted to 2nd.

squid_wood777

Occupation
Plant Operator
Personally I never do it, over the years I have worked with people who do, or at least try the shotgun method, load the first part in 3rd then lug it til it grabs 2nd. We are running 6 637g 2. They have less than 2000 hrs on them, two of them are having trans probs. they wont shift back into 2nd, they will downshift from 8th to 3rd then lug til they die, or hit 3rd then jump into 6th. Could the continuous 3rd gear lugging while trying to load be causing a prob?

squid_wood777

Occupation
Plant Operator
No wonder your having tranny problems,compared to the Es and Ds the Gs are a fitters worst nightmare,too much electrics and too many things to go wrong.Doesnt help things trying to load in 3rd or even 2nd ,we are made to put ours in 1st by hand and once you get the revs right to stop them from bucking and bouncing off you go.Dont rate the Gs at all.Cat got the power to weight ratio all wrong.

StanRUS

No wonder your having tranny problems,compared to the Es and Ds the Gs are a fitters worst nightmare,too much electrics and too many things to go wrong.Doesnt help things trying to load in 3rd or even 2nd ,we are made to put ours in 1st by hand and once you get the revs right to stop them from bucking and bouncing off you go.Dont rate the Gs at all.Cat got the power to weight ratio all wrong.
Only 1st gear? Gs have power to weight ratio all wrong? REALLY

squid_wood777

Occupation
Plant Operator
Only 1st gear? Gs have power to weight ratio all wrong? REALLY
So what gear do you think those 57s are loading in,bet it,s not 3rd.We couldn't load in 3rd even if we wanted to,our material is alot harder to load up than what their in.Cat scraper,s started getting rougher to operate when the Es arrived,but i will stay on my E,the Gs are overpowered and lighter than an E by Abit especially the 57s.Spend 6 months or more on them,then you would REALLY know.

StanRUS

So what gear do you think those 57s are loading in,bet it,s not 3rd.We couldn't load in 3rd even if we wanted to,our material is alot harder to load up than what their in.Cat scraper,s started getting rougher to operate when the Es arrived,but i will stay on my E,the Gs are overpowered and lighter than an E by Abit especially the 57s.Spend 6 months or more on them,then you would REALLY know.

Video 57s are all powered with C18-C15s that electronically reduce power in torque converter 1-2 used for loading as designed by Cat. I've operated 57s part time since early 60s, no suspension seat, ROPS, cushion hitch, pilot operated hydraulics...If the material is fluff no problem to load in a higher gear.
If you want pain try a Cushion Dozer; well Aussies don't use them as you're aware/
I had customer request for 5,000lb add on weight to help eliminate 'out of cut' wheel spin on re-powered 51s; better solution was using the ECM.
C18-C15 combo reduced fuel burn, decreases cost per hour to operate the scrapers...reducing the overhanging weight on the cushion hitch increases service life to pin-bearing replacement, i.e. reduces cost per hour to operate.
Thanks for sharing you're operator seat knowledge and yes scrapers are not pleasurable to operate but improving!

637slayer

Occupation
scraper hand
Personally i really like the g scraper, ive been running a 37g2 for 3 years now and have no complaints, plenty of power fast hydraulics, i really like how fast it raps up, rides ok for a scraper, only complaint is cat stereo isnt loud enough and its not a 57.