• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Lippmann Oscillating Screen Bearing Removal?

DoyleX

Occupation
Lever Puller, Gear Jammer, Pipe Twister
Where do I start to get this apart? No bearing info listed, maybe we can match some up? It's a 1957 model 4 x10 2 deck.

20161210_141623.jpg20161210_141614.jpg

grandpa

I have never seen a bearing housing quit like that before. Have you looked up from the bottom, between the two bolts and see if there isn't a set screw or two that hold that cover onto the bearing if none, the start to just pry those covers off,, I think those are just covers that set over the outside race of the bearing.
I think the inside race of the bearing is just sitting against a step in the shaft that keeps it from going in to far. There should be set screw some where on that bearing, clean some grease off and investigate.... Grandpa.

DoyleX

Occupation
Lever Puller, Gear Jammer, Pipe Twister
Well 28 above feels like summer. My eyelashes aren't freezing together and the inside of my nose isnt freezing. Surprising how much better everything works, man and machine.

The outer covers just pried off.
The pto side is where I'm getting some rubbing on the outer housing. Flyweight shaft looks tight. I wanted to find some parts availability before I started to tear into it far. Looks like everything is still available.
Anything should I look for on the inner bearings besides rubbing or vertical runout?

20161220_084908.jpg20161220_090119.jpg

hetkind

What holds the outer bearing race/flange in place? I would take the entire bearing assembly, including the big flange to your local bearing supply house and see what they can match up. Hopefully, the shaft hasn't spun on the inner race. I think heat, a big puller and perhaps a hammer might get the inner shaft free.

I suspect the big flange gets welded to the housing.

Howard

ol'stonebreaker

Occupation
retired
The 4 notches in the ring between the inner race and the shaft tells me that it has a tapered sleeve that locks the bearing to the shaft. With a punch and hammer, turn the lock ring counter clockwise 1 turn or so and tap inward. The bearing should then slide off.
Mike