• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Link Belt Reviews

saudi owner

Dears

It is very nice to be with you, in this helpful forum!

When I compare between the all terrain cranes made by link belt and other factories, I can tell that the maximum tip height of the link belts are unbeatable!
That too with the R.Ts and the truck cranes!

As its not famous in our region, I want to take your opinion about them, where most of you guys are American like link belt!

Regards
Feras

Knepptune

Here in the states the general opinion I've gathered on cranes is this.
Liebherr is #1
Grove #2
Link-belt #3
Terex#4

I've never heard anything bad about tadano, there's just not enough of them around to form much of an opinion. The guys that run them love them.

Link-belt is fairly new to the AT market, so I've never heard much about their AT' s. They do have good charts and long booms. I'd look more at the support for the brand then anything. I know grove, liebherr, and terex have global support. They've also been building AT' s since the early 90s maybe earlier. Grove bought the krupp brand and terex got demag. Those three all have 20+ years of r&d on AT cranes. Link-belt has maybe 5 or so.

I like long track records and good factory support so I'd look at one of those three.

saudi owner

Here in the states the general opinion I've gathered on cranes is this.
Liebherr is #1
Grove #2
Link-belt #3
Terex#4

I've never heard anything bad about tadano, there's just not enough of them around to form much of an opinion. The guys that run them love them.

Link-belt is fairly new to the AT market, so I've never heard much about their AT' s. They do have good charts and long booms. I'd look more at the support for the brand then anything. I know grove, liebherr, and terex have global support. They've also been building AT' s since the early 90s maybe earlier. Grove bought the krupp brand and terex got demag. Those three all have 20+ years of r&d on AT cranes. Link-belt has maybe 5 or so.

I like long track records and good factory support so I'd look at one of those three.

Many thanx for your reply

Welder Dave

Not sure the reason but on another forum there was a pic. of a Link Belt working on a dock and someone posted it would be better at the bottom of the dock. I've read some other stuff too that they aren't preferred by some operators but this is just what I've read so it has to be taken with a grain of salt. Someone like Crane Operator would have a better opinion since he runs cranes for a living.

crane operator

I've only been around the truck crane link belts. 8670 and 8690. 70 was a decent machine with 60 series detroit. Good chart. The 90 had a regen system cat and it was a thirsty engine, and would never regen right. They still have troubles with its regen system (I ran it 5 years ago, its a 2002 or 03) . Upper seemed fine, but the hydraulics always ran hot on the 90 also (still do) so its not a great high cycle machine.

The link belt first all terrains was a joint venture with faun. Faun carrier, some link belt upper, I don't know who made the booms, maybe tadano. (tadano and faun were also joint venturing some stuff at the time). Link belt abandoned that effort, and are now making their own version, with their own carriers. I'd be a little upset if I bought one of the joint venture machines, their value today has dropped because they're orphans.

And it worries you that if sumitomo industries (who owns link belt) decides the profit margins or numbers aren't good enough, they will drop their own line of all terrains too. Its such a small market (they aren't selling thousands a year) and just the engineering and r&d costs have to be huge. And whatever they power it with today, two years from now that motor/ trans combination isn't available, or requires a whole new computer control system. That's where the big costs are, because a lot of the parts they don't make themselves. Engine, trans, suspension and axles are all outside sourced and that gets to be big $ when the epa changes emission requirements, or the particular trans they were using isn't available. In dropping the joint line, it makes a lot of buyers wary of buying the link belt designed cranes, because in 5 years when you want to trade in/ sell it for a new one, it may not be worth near what a demag/ liebherr/ grove might be.

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
I wasn't aware that Sumitomo ever had anything to do with the Link-Belt crane division. It was my understanding from a few years back that the family got out of the excavator business and concentrated on making cranes in Lexington, Kentucky. Is that not the case anymore?

The crawlers and truck cranes are pretty highly thought of around here. The never seem to wear out.

crane operator

https://www.linkbelt.com/about-us/history

"Today's Link-Belt Cranes is a dynamic, highly-focused organization with headquarters in Lexington, Kentucky that is a wholly-owned subsidiary of Sumitomo Heavy Industries."

The link is to their website, the last line of their history is what's in quotes here.

They're truck cranes and rt's are good rigs. The 50- 75 ton truck cranes are really good (mid 90's to early 2000's ). They have some issues with the 90 ton latching booms. The early 3 axle 100 ton rt's that have the engines in the upper and the lower drives by hydraulic, can be problematic also.

When I was speaking of dropping lines of equipment, I was speaking of only their all terrain lines.

The old conventional truck cranes are nearly indestructable.

saudi owner

Not sure the reason but on another forum there was a pic. of a Link Belt working on a dock and someone posted it would be better at the bottom of the dock. I've read some other stuff too that they aren't preferred by some operators but this is just what I've read so it has to be taken with a grain of salt. Someone like Crane Operator would have a better opinion since he runs cranes for a living.

Many thanx my dear
Hopefully will get some maven operator opinion!

Regards

saudi owner

I've only been around the truck crane link belts. 8670 and 8690. 70 was a decent machine with 60 series detroit. Good chart. The 90 had a regen system cat and it was a thirsty engine, and would never regen right. They still have troubles with its regen system (I ran it 5 years ago, its a 2002 or 03) . Upper seemed fine, but the hydraulics always ran hot on the 90 also (still do) so its not a great high cycle machine.

The link belt first all terrains was a joint venture with faun. Faun carrier, some link belt upper, I don't know who made the booms, maybe tadano. (tadano and faun were also joint venturing some stuff at the time). Link belt abandoned that effort, and are now making their own version, with their own carriers. I'd be a little upset if I bought one of the joint venture machines, their value today has dropped because they're orphans.

And it worries you that if sumitomo industries (who owns link belt) decides the profit margins or numbers aren't good enough, they will drop their own line of all terrains too. Its such a small market (they aren't selling thousands a year) and just the engineering and r&d costs have to be huge. And whatever they power it with today, two years from now that motor/ trans combination isn't available, or requires a whole new computer control system. That's where the big costs are, because a lot of the parts they don't make themselves. Engine, trans, suspension and axles are all outside sourced and that gets to be big $ when the epa changes emission requirements, or the particular trans they were using isn't available. In dropping the joint line, it makes a lot of buyers wary of buying the link belt designed cranes, because in 5 years when you want to trade in/ sell it for a new one, it may not be worth near what a demag/ liebherr/ grove might be.

Very rich reply, thank you for it!

This is true orphan machinery is hell of a problem not only because the drop of the price but the factory support!

The hydraulic heating is a major issue for us here in Saudi, we have a very nice weather, easily reaches 130+ Fahrenheit!
I really should stop thinking of them if its true!

Regards

saudi owner

I wasn't aware that Sumitomo ever had anything to do with the Link-Belt crane division. It was my understanding from a few years back that the family got out of the excavator business and concentrated on making cranes in Lexington, Kentucky. Is that not the case anymore?

The crawlers and truck cranes are pretty highly thought of around here. The never seem to wear out.

From what I know, they are owned by the Japaneses for many years a go.

That is why link belt sold Japaneses cranes under their name.
http://www.cranestodaymagazine.com/news/link-belt-to-distribute-faun-ats/

I think link belt crawler cranes are pretty much sumitomos!

For the RTs please compare them with the tadanos and you will be surprised!

Thanx for your reply!

Regards

saudi owner

https://www.linkbelt.com/about-us/history

"Today's Link-Belt Cranes is a dynamic, highly-focused organization with headquarters in Lexington, Kentucky that is a wholly-owned subsidiary of Sumitomo Heavy Industries."

The link is to their website, the last line of their history is what's in quotes here.

They're truck cranes and rt's are good rigs. The 50- 75 ton truck cranes are really good (mid 90's to early 2000's ). They have some issues with the 90 ton latching booms. The early 3 axle 100 ton rt's that have the engines in the upper and the lower drives by hydraulic, can be problematic also.

When I was speaking of dropping lines of equipment, I was speaking of only their all terrain lines.

The old conventional truck cranes are nearly indestructable.

Sorry crane operator, I did not get you.

What is the problem with the latching booms?
What is the exact problem with the 100 3 axle rt crane?

And please rephrase "When I was speaking of dropping lines of equipment, I was speaking of only their all terrain lines." my bad english is keeping me from getting you!

Sorry to be too needy but that is what you get to have Arabs in this forum!

Many thanx in advance!

Regards

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
Thanks for the info on the Sumitomo / Link-Belt connections.

crane operator

What is the problem with the latching booms? #1
What is the exact problem with the 100 3 axle rt crane? #2

And please rephrase "When I was speaking of dropping lines of equipment, I was speaking of only their all terrain lines." my bad english is keeping me from getting you! #3

#1- The early series 1 latching booms didn't work, I think linkbelt actually redesigned them, and converted all the original ones to series 2 under warranty.

They can still have issues with length / latching system, but some of these machines are getting some age on them, so that's not suprising. I guess if you disconnect the length/ latching potentiometer/ computer at the wrong time, when working on them, you can lose the stored distances for the lengths (where the boom is at) and its a bear to get reprogrammed (from a crane mechanic- secondhand info). I have firsthand experience with a troublesome latching system, but it was just finicky sometimes about length.

#2 - The 100 ton rt that has the engine upstairs and hyd. drive downstairs, I don't think the driveline is robust enough for extended roading/ driving. ( I think its the same carrier through 150 ton). Imagine the flow and heat issues driving around a 160,000lbs machine (150ton with 59,000 ctw.) with hydraulic drive motors on every wheel, and powering that by hydraulic through a swivel. Its hard to beat standard drivelines and gearboxes. Max road speed is only 15mph, and I bet you can't do that very long with full ctw, before heat issues get you.

#3 I don't see link belt dropping their truck crane or rough terrain lines, that's where their primary sales are in the us. I could see them dropping the all terrain line again, if the sales aren't enough to justify the expense.

saudi owner

#1- The early series 1 latching booms didn't work, I think linkbelt actually redesigned them, and converted all the original ones to series 2 under warranty.

They can still have issues with length / latching system, but some of these machines are getting some age on them, so that's not suprising. I guess if you disconnect the length/ latching potentiometer/ computer at the wrong time, when working on them, you can lose the stored distances for the lengths (where the boom is at) and its a bear to get reprogrammed (from a crane mechanic- secondhand info). I have firsthand experience with a troublesome latching system, but it was just finicky sometimes about length.

#2 - The 100 ton rt that has the engine upstairs and hyd. drive downstairs, I don't think the driveline is robust enough for extended roading/ driving. ( I think its the same carrier through 150 ton). Imagine the flow and heat issues driving around a 160,000lbs machine (150ton with 59,000 ctw.) with hydraulic drive motors on every wheel, and powering that by hydraulic through a swivel. Its hard to beat standard drivelines and gearboxes. Max road speed is only 15mph, and I bet you can't do that very long with full ctw, before heat issues get you.

#3 I don't see link belt dropping their truck crane or rough terrain lines, that's where their primary sales are in the us. I could see them dropping the all terrain line again, if the sales aren't enough to justify the expense.

Many thanx my dear for clearing everything!

Do you think grove make better RTs?