• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Lift Pump

bselff

I have a 1989 Case 480E LL 4-390 non turbo unit. I have been looking for the lift pump J904374 but have only seen the superseded number 84142216 which has the ports in a different configuration. Does anyone know where I can find a direct replacement pump with the port configuration the same. The new unit will bolt on the same but the two ports on top are different than the existing one.

Thanks,
Bob

thepumpguysc

Occupation
Master Inj.Pump rebuilder
Hmmm.. That is odd.. ports on wrong side AND at wrong angle.. Not a good combo w/ steel lines..
Sorry, no help.. just an observation..

bselff

Exactly why I wanted a pump with similar ports and connections. I am sure it will fit the 4-390 but I did not want to deal with the modifying the steel line nor did I wish to cut the line and replace with rubber.
Thanks for the input, have a great day,
Bob

thepumpguysc

Occupation
I don't know if this will help or not but its worth a try..
Call your local fuel inj. shop.. they have a book put out by Delphi, a fuel inj. pump manuf.. that also sells lift pumps for everything.
They have a book w/ pictures along w/ port positions and dimensions.. You already have a pic of the one you need, so just forward that to the parts guy and express your concerns as far as port positioning and let him compare it to the pic in the Delphi book. Good luck.

thepumpguysc

Occupation
In that case, the internet is your best friend..
I just searched diesel fuel injection shop near tucson az and got several hits w/ phone #'s..
Call them, email them and proceed as described.

thepumpguysc

Occupation
For some stupid reason, I'm thinking it might vary w/ application.??
For some reason I'm thinking the marine 3.9L came out at a 45*.. You got your straight up connection, the 90* and I'm thinkin a marine applic. is 45*.???
Heck, it might just be the pain killers.??
You have 2 choices.. bend the lines or call the fuel shop..

bselff

Thanks for all the input, I am waiting for the pump to arrive and will see what I need to do to make it work. I will try and avoid adding rubber hose, it always deteriorates over time and it might screw up the injector pump.

Thanks Again,

Bob

Tinkerer

Have you looked at the pump that is on the engine for a part number stamped on it ?
There are composite fuel lines available that are rated for diesel fuel and pressures as high as 50 psi. I have used it for the same application you are dealing with and have had no problems.

bselff

Again,
Until Monday, when it is supposed to be delivered, I won't know anything about the current to the new connections. When you refer to composite, are you talking about something similar to plastic with the snap together type ends. Let me know where I can look at one on line.

Thanks,
Bob

bselff

Okay,
Because I am soooo anal, and was worried about the pump not looking the same in appearance with the connections, I was very wrong. The pump connected with the original fittings perfectly. I appreciate all the input from everyone. Have a great day....

Bob