• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

lift cylinder hoses

ColM

Have an early 953 (20Z) with a bad hose on the left lift cylinder. Seems almost impossible to replace but I did manage to remove both hoses, but now need to replace both. The issue is how to tighten connections between the hard lines coming from the cylinder and the hose ends. The fuel tank leaves only a couple of inches clearance and although the hard lines are now detached and removed, they must be back in place in order to attach hoses. I can't believe fuel tank has to be removed in order to complete installation and I don't see as how removing the cylinder would help much. Anybody actually replace LEFT lift cylinder hoses before and, if so, suggestions or guidance...

Tradesman

Occupation
Contractor
I had one on an old backhoe that even a crows foot wouldn't fit on I had to loosen and tighten with a 3/8" punch that I kept really sharp edges.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
The optimum method is to take the hoses loose on the exposed end, drag the pin out and remove the cylinder to replace the hoses. Just cannot do so in most cases.

ColM

1 5/16 crowfoot flare nut wrench will grab the nut on the high side hose but I'm afraid to torque it without supporting the elbow block off the hard line that goes to the cylinder (high side) end. Have ordered a 1 5/16 cheapo wrench that will require some grinding modification to (hopefully) support that block so I don't twist it and kink the hard line. Suspect the return side connection will be slightly simpler. FWIW, I removed the right side lift cyl hoses in about an hour and suspect it'll take not much longer to reinstall the new ones.