• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Leveling Blade

cloves

Hi everyone,

Looking at few mini excavator and I noticed that one of them has a leeching blade that could be put at angle instead of straight which could come in handy when leveling I would think. Is this standard on all excavators? If it's not what is it called?

code54

Sounds like a Kubota 6 way blade. Costs you a bit more but helpful in backfilling or leveling a machine on a odd slope.

Bls repair

Occupation
Equipment operator,mechanic
We have a komatsu 75 with a 6way on it .We needed parts for it called Komatsu they said they don't make a 75 with a 6way .Must be a prototype or homemade add on .The problem with it is it sticks out so far you have to dig off the back because the blade gets in the way.

Is a little bit of a grey area using your blade on your mini as is not meant for dosing.
Most manufactures say it is for stabilization of the machine and light back filling but as you know it is open season what some people will do with them.
What i think is a great feature on some is the ability to release the blade hydraulically and drag it backwards to level.
Is very contentious because of the safety side of letting the blade drop on some one or accidentally releasing it when its holding you on the side of a mountain.
There are a few pros and cons with all these systems.
If it was a hire machine i would not be giving them a 6 way blade not on the small machine at least.

cloves

007 that is a very interesting point. I have been looking at a few videos and the blade is being used to balance on the machine and is especially important for the small 4k machines.

What you are describing sounds like a good idea, wouldn't all the blades be able to accomplish this? The units I have all see have a blade that moves.

Most Mini blades are a fixed straight blade with Hydraulic up and down, no release or tilting to the left or right.
What I think is more important when choosing a new machine is the blade height up and down and distance of the blade from the center of turntable.
When you are working on steep slope they all could do with more down to bring the machine up level.
Some with low lift heights will have them slamming into your trailer or ground when they are loading if it is a hire machine.

Sorry Cloves, thought you were the guy looking to buy machines to hire out.