• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Laser Purchase Help

JNB

Occupation
Flyin' low and rollin' slow...
I've had an old David White for a long time, but mainly used it back when I had a concrete company. It's history now for reasons I'd like to avoid lest my blood pressure rise.

With this new business I do a lot of gravel roads and seat-of-the-pants rural grading jobs. I'm also starting to get a lot more long drainage swales. I'd like to get a receiver mast setup on my tractor's box blade for swales and possibly a removable mast for my ctl's bucket so I can check grade as I go. I don't know whether I'll need dual slope at this time, but for sure I need to be able to set up a single slope. I don't want to break the bank either.

I've been looking at a Spectra LL300 package that comes with their CR600 magnetic and rod mounts. The other one is the Topcon RL H4C. The Topcon setup doesn't include a magnetic receiver, so that would have to be purchased as well. The Topcon does look more rugged and has a better warranty.

Any experience with either setup, or is there another brand that I should be looking at?

stumpjumper83

Occupation
Movin dirt
Maybe I'm just cheap but I like my home depot laser kit, made by cst / berger. Its the non self leveler, but that's a plus cause I can run infinite slopes with it, even dual slope if necessary. It comes with no equipment mounts and the detector only has a limited range, but its accurate. They are abound $400, and I get 2 years or so out of them, and if you say back over one with a d-6 your out a lot less than if you bought a 2500 dollar self leveler.

JNB

Occupation
And that's one of the issues I'm having. I'm pretty cheap myself...at least my wife thinks so! I also thought about going that route and spending more on a nicer machine mount receiver like Apache. I work by myself about 99% of the time. Having a rod mount and a machine mount would sure make my day easier.

stumpjumper83

Occupation
Movin dirt
I dunno, I think the better recievers are still compatable with the low end base units. At least when there were several lasers spinning you had to be sure you had the right beam whenever ive been around multiple units.

Shimmy1

I used a laser for swales for 10 yrs. Not sure how long of ditches you're cutting but it gets old moving the laser 30 times a day. I used to use a LL500, then upgraded to a LL600. I have a GL722 now for the excavator and wish it would go longer. I would go with at least a GL422. I'm not completely familiar with the 300 but I don't think you have a digital display for your slope? Those cheaper Spectra's are great for small site flatwork, footings, septics, etc. The CR600 should be OK for on your skid but you will have a very difficult time seeing it on your box blade when it's sunny out. The H4 will have better range than the 300 Spectra but I have run Topcon and I feel it is at best average quality.

Last edited:

JNB

Occupation
No digital display on the slope. It's a point to point deal. My swales aren't usually longer than 400 ft, but the one I did last week was 850 ft with not a lot of fall. I had to bring out a helper with my old builder's level and relocate a few times to get it right. I am also a bit leery on being able to see the 600 display. The Topcon specs about twice as far as the Spectra. Not sure if they're figuring one direction distance or centered swinging both ways. Pretty hard to compare specs.

Shimmy1

The lasers almost always give their distance as a diameter. So half is your one direction. I tried out a H4 last summer, distance was ok, maybe 800' one way with accuracy. The thing is with lasers is you might think you know where you're at, but turn the laser 180° on the tripod and check again. It can be a sobering experience. I know you said you're trying to be conservative on purchase price, but I've been down that road and in my opinion when it comes to your laser, your job depends on it and you get what you pay for.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
Purchased a Topcon RL-H4C a couple of years ago and it's been a great laser, the best I've owned. Good range, easy set up. It has a "slope match" function that I've never used.

Currently looking at adding a slope laser and looking at the Topcon RL-SV2S or the RL -200. The RL-SV2S is a dual slope laser but limited to 5% grade in either direction. The RL-200 is a single slope laser that can go 25%. I can get a RL-SV2S for $2500 and the RL-200 for $2900. The RL-H4C was $600 and one of the best purchases I have made.

I want a slope laser for laying storm pipe, I don't use a standard pipe laser. I've been using the RL-H4C to lay storm and calculating the rise for each joint as we lay it. It works fine but it would be nice to dial in a grade and not have to move the receiver.

I would recommend a Topcon product.

JNB

Occupation
Thanks for the input on the RL. This is the package I'm looking at. http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Topcon-RL-H4C-DB-Rotary-Laser-Level-PLUS-16-FT-Fiberglass-10ths-Rod-Tripod/300854598287?_trksid=p2054897.c100204.m3164&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20140407115239%26meid%3Dd98aab9cc0434f088c9fe628acc82336%26pid%3D100204%26prg%3D20140407115239%26rk%3D8%26rkt%3D20%26sd%3D191145492501

Just want to be sure, but are the machine receivers compatible with most lasers? I was looking at CST's site and noticed that their machine receiver is actually an Apache. I'm pretty sure I'd be going with the Apache Bullseye +3 or +5.

I haven't yet been able to locate how the Apache units mount...:beatsme

stumpjumper83

Occupation
Movin dirt
cm, that very reason that you stated is why I love my manual leveling cheapo, I can set any slope I want in it. Can even get it to shoot a straight, aimed beam if that is what I need.

lumberjack

I bought a UL633 last year, haven't been disappointed in the slightest. I do a variety of work, most isn't related to dirt, but it's very nice having a verstile laser.

Shimmy1

Apache units mount to either a 1.75"-2" round tube or 1.5" square tube. Here is the user's guide for a Spectra LR60 (same as a Bullseye +6). Only difference between the 60 (+6) and the 50 (+5) is angle compensation besides plumb indication.

Attachments

• LR60_Users_Guide.pdf
    376.4 KB · Views: 83
Last edited:

JNB

Occupation
Lumberjack - Love the 633, but its a lot more than what I'll ever need.

Great info Shimmy. Thank you.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
cm, that very reason that you stated is why I love my manual leveling cheapo, I can set any slope I want in it. Can even get it to shoot a straight, aimed beam if that is what I need.

How do you set it to a specific slope, for example - 3.25%?

stumpjumper83

Occupation
Movin dirt
get out a long tape measure 100 feet off, set the laser flat, note that mark, come down 3.25', adjust the manual level on that axis till the detector is right and your done.

Whats a lot harder is matching pipe ends with a self leveler. Say you have 120 feet between two existing storm boxes and you have to connect them, what do you all do? Me I can just set the laser on top of the one, the detector on top of the other, adjust the level till we are on and I'm golden.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
get out a long tape measure 100 feet off, set the laser flat, note that mark, come down 3.25', adjust the manual level on that axis till the detector is right and your done.

OK thanks, I'll be looking for a unit I can put the slope in or just do it the way we have.

Whats a lot harder is matching pipe ends with a self leveler. Say you have 120 feet between two existing storm boxes and you have to connect them, what do you all do? Me I can just set the laser on top of the one, the detector on top of the other, adjust the level till we are on and I'm golden.

I just shoot one invert and then the other. Figure the fall from one the next, distance of pipe and calculate the slope. Divide the rise of the line by the length of pipe and it gives you the rise per joint of pipe. This is the reason I would like to have a bona fide slope laser, no moving the target on the stick every joint.

Chad@SitechTR

I would suggest a Spectra GL622 and a Spectra LR60W. The GL622 is a great dual slope laser that does slope matching and the LR60W comes with a remote display so you wouldn't have to break your neck trying to see the receiver no matter what you are using it on

JBGASH

Occupation
Plumbing & Excavation Contractor / farmer
I bought a Spectra UL633 and so far it is excellent in every way, every time we use it we learn something new that it will do. Easily allows a dial grade in for any pipe application, any building project and slopes for area grading. I really like that it is a pipe laser and a construction laser in one package that does everything from 1 carrying case. The cost was plenty but it paid for itself on the first storm sewer job we did.

JNB

Occupation
Thanks for all of the suggestions guys. I ordered a Topcon RL H4C package today from I3SYS today. We'll see how it works out.