• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Land Clearing

dw710

Hey guys, just thought I'd add a pit of my land clearing project that I'm doing on my own. I'm no professional and I'm clearing my property in preparation to build a house on the back side. I've got just under 5 acres. The front acre of my property is cleared now with a older house that I plan to demo when the new house gets constructed. I'm clearing the back 1/3 of my property and leaving a woods line to separate it and hide the house from road view.

Like I said this has been a learning experience, and also very fun. I originally started clearing with a chain saw (now I wish I had never cut anything down). This was before I purchased a backhoe, I got myself a 89' Ford 455c backhoe to replace my septic system and do odd's and ends, then thought I would use it for clearing my land. It didnt' take me long to realize how much I disliked the backhoe with all the moves, out riggers, etc, etc, So I sold the backhoe and purchased a 87' Liebherr R912 Excavator, which so far has been a pleasant change. The machine is much stronger, and the ability to spin 360' is such a relief! Along with my ability to operate has gotten so much better over time.

I have been looking at the forums for quite a while now, and reading other's inputs, watching video's, etc learning from others. So I figured I would also post my project in hopes of saving some one else from the hard knocks of things I have found along the way...

Anyhow here are a few pics of what I've done so far. Since getting the excavator I had to play a lot of "cleanup", quickly realizing the machines ability to just push the trees down and stump removal all at once, I wish I had never cut any down with the saw... It took me a good amount of time just to make my worksite maneuverable from all the tree's I had cut down and into sections...

20150407_1901021.jpg

The next picture is a rough service road I had to cut through to get out back. IT's not perfect but at least now I can access the property and my truck can make it too.

20150407_1858211.jpg

dw710

I'm trying to do some research through my town, I've got a section that I would like to put my final driveway in that would access the backside of my property but I've got a few questions... I edited a picture I took and kinda drew in what I'm looking to do and thought maybe someone would have some input. I have a rocky section that gets wet during spring time then dries up, I was thinking I would need to put at least 2 culverts in to keep the ability for water to flow through. I tried calling my town today to see if this would require a permit, but of course they aren't open today! Just looking for some general tips or thoughts on how to cross this area, it's approximately 20ft wide of rocky area...

Picture0001.jpg

macmarine

you got a job ahead of you. I would contact the enviormental or foristry people from your state as there are a lot of regulation as to working nere any moving water and big fines if you screw up . other than that do your self a favor and dig holes as deep as you can to put your stumps in this will give you some dirt back to use for leveling the property and use care pushing whole trees over ther are widow makers up ther that can crush your cab and or kill you cut them first leave 3-4 feet to use for leverage . good luck

dw710

macmarine -

Yeah I certainly have quite the job ahead! I'm taking my time and certainly being very cautious as I go. I'd love the idea of getting extra dirt to use for the project, but I'm going to create a stump dump for the time being and have them hauled out. I don't want to look back in 10 years and regret any sink holes it may create.

I'm definitely waiting to hear back from my town inspector before I do anything in that area. Although I am very curious what it'll take for me to get across it.

Most of the wood I've either cut / split for my own heating purposes, and I've also been giving some to a few friends that have been giving me a hand cleaning up my mess!

Here's a picture of the old access road that is used to get up there now. You can see how the area is wet right now, had a lot of snow melting from higher elevations and it came through again this spring..

20150407_1857121.jpg

This is a picture of what the general area I need to make a crossing at looks like.. extremely rocky and wet right now

20150407_1857491.jpg

Last edited:

drivadesl

Occupation
Engineer
Any update on the project? Curious about the road as I'm facing a similar situation as you so could use some advise on how you handled it.

macmarine

road work

The big rock should help as a base cover it with 6" minus to level it then road base and 3/4 minus .you may want to put culvert where it puddles now .you should end up 12"-18" above grade this will. Help the road dry out faster. . Ditching on the up hill side to direct the water not easy in the conditions there but do able Maybe burn your stumps will reduce the wood an give you back dirt and ash .stumps don't usualy sink much as they decompose. Brush and branches will drop quiet a bit. Bury the stumps as deep as you can 6_8 feet. You should not see a sink hole .

drivadesl

Occupation
Engineer
My appologies to the OP on my questions in his thread, but these are related to his project. In my case, I am crossing an underground spring, mostly dry in summer, and gets wetter with the seasons, and runs into a swampy area. So I figure on clearing some room and laying culverts to ensure water can still travel downstream, and build up the road base as Macmarine describes. I've got a 4T mini-ex to dig and a 70HP tractor to help spread rock and grade. The road which is really a driveway, will run about 1/8 a mile or less though a not so mature forest. Do you think the equipment is up to the task? I expect I may rent a larger Ex to remove stumps or for heavy digging, or a dozer if necessary.

Does this sound like a workable plan?