• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

KX121-3 auto idle

Cummins ISB

Sometimes while working the excavator with auto idle on it will suddenly idle down. Then it won't rev up again unless I turn the AI off. There doesn't seem to be a pattern of when it does that except when its hot.

MikeVG

Had the exact same situation with a friends Deere 35D. Started out with by trying the simplest fix and changed out the potentiometer although the original seemed to check out OK. Hope, that wasn't it. Ended up with replacing the controller module and the actuator - $2500 later! should have just done away with the AI and put in a throttle lever and cable like the earlier version 35's

Tags

I believe the auto idle unit is under the floor plate and can get surrounded by mud and dirt causing it to get stuck sometimes. It wouldn't be too hard to check that.

JPSouth

Had the exact same situation with a friends Deere 35D. Started out with by trying the simplest fix and changed out the potentiometer although the original seemed to check out OK. Hope, that wasn't it. Ended up with replacing the controller module and the actuator - $2500 later! should have just done away with the AI and put in a throttle lever and cable like the earlier version 35's

Why I own a '99 KX161-2. I'm not a Luddite or anything, and tend towards being an early adopter, but also fully embrace the KISS principle. $2500 buys me a nice new bucket, grapples for the skiddy, or 1/2 of a new set of hybrid tracks. A guy should not have to pony up that kind of coin to get his machine to idle up.