• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Komatsu PC360-10 won't start

Occupation
Mechanic
Good day to everyone. I'm here today on behalf of one of my machinery is not coroperating. Last week while an operator was running my komatsu pc360, it suddenly shut off. An LO3 code came up but he wasn't able to get the exact code the correlated to the LO3 or what symbol came up. Well now the code is no longer present and the machine just turns over. No smoke comes out no codes and it's beginning to stump me. I've read about the fuel rail pressure sensor causing the injection system to become "disabled" and not allowing starting of the engine. I've also read about the high pressure fuel pump actuator to be the problem. My problem is that the accuator has voltage that should lift the accuator to allow fuel to pass and also have fuel at the fuel rail. If anyone has ever ran into this problem before and can help it would be much appreciated. I don't have a service manual nor access to insite. I'm certified in networking of control modules but these are alittle different.

DK88

Occupation
Field service tech.
First check that the fuel supply to the engine is good.. Easiest way is to pump the hand primer until it's hard. It's located under the air filter on the top of the pre filter. When it's hard keep pumping it and you should hear a slight hiss from the engine area. Pretty well between the 2 hood latches on top of the machine. When your cranking it for say 20 seconds do you get a fault code.. This will be a red square with white letters reading ca 559 for example. Maybe for a quick check pull the oil filler cab and have a helper crank engine over just to ensure valves are turning.

Vetech63

The LO3 is a severity code and not the actual fault code. The severity of an O3, the computer has determined as a major, fix NOW, fault. You should be sble to scroll through the menu and find your fault code. It is more than likely an electrical issue.

Occupation
Mechanic
I have purchased a service manual and found out how to get into the monitor through the "abnormality" section. The code I have is CA2249. Rail pressure very low. It also had in the memory a couple hours before a CA559 which is rail pressure low. I changed both filters on the machine and still no start. Tomorrow I will be looking further into rail relief valve, high pressure fuel pump, and injectors. Something is telling me is more than just a clogged filter since I have no smoke what so ever being produced. Just the motor turns over. Does anyone know if injectors are common on these engines to fail?

Thanks again

Nick

Vetech63

There should be a couple of fuses in the fuse panel for the engine elm, check those too. Check all the electrical wiring on the engine, there could be some wire chaffing that is setting off those codes.

Vetech63

There should be a couple of fuses in the fuse panel for the engine elm, check those too. Check all the electrical wiring on the engine, there could be some wire chaffing that is setting off those codes.
That's engine ECM

jofc

In the service side of the monitor, go to pre-deifined monitoring. Find the page that says rail pressure and rail pressure command. While cranking see if the pressure goes to what the command says, or close to it.

Occupation
Mechanic
In the service side of the monitor, go to pre-deifined monitoring. Find the page that says rail pressure and rail pressure command. While cranking see if the pressure goes to what the command says, or close to it.
If the pressure isn't close to the command would that mean lift pump or high pressure pump?

Hydraumind

You can hear the lift pump when you turn the key on, it runs for 15 or 30 seconds before you start cranking. If fuel filters are full, that means the lift pump is good. Did you have water in fuel error before that problem happened. Anyway, the low rail pressure means fuel is leaking somewhere upstream the injectors or there is not enough fuel delivered by the pump. Try to find out a good mechanic with good experience on cummins engine

DK88

Occupation
Field service tech.
Odds are its got an injector stuck.. Best bet is to ethier get the dealer or get the injectoR blank off cap and blank the 6 injectors off one by one until you build rail pressure.. May be no harm in putting a gauge on the filter on the engine and make sure your getting around 2kg/cm while cranking. Normally you will get a bit of pressure on the rail pressure on monitor When lift pump is good.. Then pull off the delivery tube from the pump to the common rail and make sure it's putting out fuel...should be around 200cc in a min. If memory serves me right.

Occupation
Mechanic
Odds are its got an injector stuck.. Best bet is to ethier get the dealer or get the injectoR blank off cap and blank the 6 injectors off one by one until you build rail pressure.. May be no harm in putting a gauge on the filter on the engine and make sure your getting around 2kg/cm while cranking. Normally you will get a bit of pressure on the rail pressure on monitor When lift pump is good.. Then pull off the delivery tube from the pump to the common rail and make sure it's putting out fuel...should be around 200cc in a min. If memory serves me right.
I can touch the lift pump and hear it working and feel it working. I'm going to block off injectors one by one to see if I build pressure. I will get a gauge to see the amount of pressure I have. Thanks again guys.

DK88

Occupation
Field service tech.
dont use a guage, use 36200 and 36400 monitoring codes.. thats your "rail pressure" and "rail pressure command", them injectors run around the 20k psi mark..

Occupation
Mechanic
dont use a guage, use 36200 and 36400 monitoring codes.. thats your "rail pressure" and "rail pressure command", them injectors run around the 20k psi mark..
Yeah well my rail pressure is at -369 and the comman is 5802

Attachments

• IMG_2012.PNG
    IMG_2012.PNG
    1.7 MB · Views: 37

thepumpguysc

Occupation
Master Inj.Pump rebuilder
It probably wont help w/ the major pressure drop you've got.. but..
Have you tried jumping the batteries to get the cranking rpms up just to see what the pressure is??

DK88

Occupation
Field service tech.
the cranking speed should be closer to the 170 mark... but even at 120 it should still build enough to bang..