1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Komatsu D65e-6 overheat

Discussion in 'Dozers' started by jasonharville, May 9, 2017.

1. southernman13

southernman13 Senior Member

Retired
    Tenfo good luck hope u figure it out!

2. jasonharville

jasonharville Well-Known Member

After wrestling with the seat frame for several hours I was finally able to get it dislodged and out of the way. I had to use a cable come-along to pull it up and out. The valve cover was fairly easy to remove except for the fact that it was well sealed to the trans. The valve assmbly was also easy to remove. Odd as it sounds, I was pleased to find 2 broken o-rings and a third that appears to be eroded on the underside. Here are pics of the process.

Seat frame removed.
    IMG_20170618_180554.jpg
    IMG_20170618_180600.jpg

Valve cover removed
    IMG_20170618_200931.jpg

Valves removed(broken seals)
    IMG_20170618_201900.jpg

Last edited: Jun 19, 2017
  3. mikebramel

mikebramel Senior Member

Weird,almost looks like the one on the right went under vacuum

4. jasonharville

It does look that way but I think something caused the ring to grow/swell. It is too large for the seat. I lined everything up on the bench and determined that all 3 bad seals were on the forward/reverse ports.

Is anyone familiar with what type off rubber these red orings these are? I have the standard nitrile orings on hand as possible replacements.

5. GregsHD

GregsHD Senior Member

The red o-rings are usually silicone but may have better luck with Viton?

6. DMiller

DMiller Senior Member

Retired
    Usually with silicone orings is a stiffener ring of a harder material as plastic or tin, the oring is just a seal. I wonder if had been changed and the extra parts disregarded.

7. John C.

John C. Senior Member

Equipment Mechanic
    I've seen a lot of those glued in. They hold OK unless you get over heating problems. It also might be just a factor of the age of the machine or if anyone has been in there before an put the wrong ring in. If they are on the clutch packs its not likely to be causing an over heat issue. Usually if there was enough leakage the pack would be slipping.

8. jasonharville

I ordered some viton replacement o-rings which should be in tomorrow. I am not overly confident that this will fix my overheating issue unless high volumes of oil are escaping between the valve assemblies. Either way it was a needed repair. I also ordered new oil seals for the shift levers. I am pretty sure someone welded on the levers without removing them. The seals look partially melted.
    IMG_20170619_203214.jpg
    IMG_20170619_202528.jpg
    IMG_20170620_121607.jpg

9. jasonharville

Based on parts diagrams there is only a single oring for each port. No idea if the silicone rings are original. No sign of RTV on the cover gasket so this may not have been messed with before.