• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Kobelco SK210-10 or Case ex210C ???

highpockets2

Looking at a 210 size Hoe to add to and compliment(actually,will become the primary digger) our CX160B. Spent a couple hours on each machine yesterday,was sure we would want/like the Case but the Kobelco surprised me. I am VERY pleased with the fuel consumption of our current machine and the newer Case should be very similar based on what I am seeing/reading. The Case comes with a thumb and extra bucket,however because it has a thumb,its limited to how large a bucket can be used without removing the thumb.The kobelco does NOT have a thumb,both have quick couplers,we dropped the 36" bucket and dug with both machines using the same bucket to make things fair.One other detail,the Kobelco is a wide(or perhaps standard track) the Case is a narrow track machine,operator said he felt like the Kobelco was noticeably more stable which makes sense.
The tough part,the Kobelco with single bucket,No thumb but brand new is slightly less than the well equipped but Used Case.That said we love our Case and were completely sold on the 210,merely running the kobelco as a formality but dang,its a pretty nice machine ! what are we looking at as far as reliability on the newer Kobelco,VS the Case and how much difference would you expect on fuel consumption side by side ?
Assume for a moment that pricing was near identical,which machine and why ? The Thumb while nice,may need to be removed to accommodate a larger bucket and retain the balance needed to use as we need,however,it DOES have it and can be easily pinned back on. Comments would be most appreciated !

whitemike

Occupation
Small land clearing biz owner
Sir i am in the very same boat as you almost. I have a Sk160 Kobelco and i am wanting to keep it but upgrade to a new or very clean used larger unit. My neighbor just purchased a new EX210E case and i like it, but i didn't get the exact price he paid for it because other folks were around when i was there running it. I have ran the little Kobelco for 6 years and it was used when i got it. The only work i've did to it was take link out tracks and repack track adjusters. The coupling on one drive motor to sun-gear shaft started slipping from wear and i welded a new coupling to drive motor shaft and installed new sun-gear shaft for less than a grand and half a day being down. I don't run long days anymore but i can almost run a week on a tank of fuel, the little mitsubishi engine just sips diesel. I was going to run a simular thread as yours asking folks if they had their choose, which machine would they go for in the 22-25 ton range? (I mean any brand, not just case or kobelco) I am close to several large cities so parts and service would not be a hold back as far as mileage but sucky parts supply and service is another story) And also would they consider a used machine and if so max. hours on it or just go with the new machine? We can keep one another posted. Do you mind telling about what they are asking for the SK210?

Reactions: Tag

highpockets2

Both machines are in the 180K range,to complicate matters,they have located me a EX210C new old stock for about 10K more that is a wide track with no thumb. With the Procare and all that machine has I am very tempted to go that route,I talked to a good friend that manages a fleet of about 35 Kobelcos and he states that they have been extremely pleased with the numbers they are seeing running these machines and their operators are not known for being particularly gentle on equipment.Im torn,that Kobelco was a very nice machine,I would really like to try it for a couple years but once bought Im committed ! Let me know what your thoughts are,I appreciate the input !

Shimmy1

I've never ran a Kobelco so I can't give any insight on one. Twisted has one and really likes it. His is a Mark V I believe. I do have a CX210C that I've had since new. I have a little over 1400 hrs on it, and haven't had any issues at this point. If you can keep the throttle on "A", it runs on 2-3 gallons per hour. If you're running it wide open(SP), and making it work, you'll be at 5-6. The balance is great. I run a 7' tilting ditch bucket, and it handles it with ease.

whitemike

Occupation
Small land clearing biz owner
I didn't mean to say EX210E it is a 210C. Making a long term purchase like this is troubling, one day i am going to buy this i made up my mind, then something makes you look at it in a total differant way. I do know that my Kobelco works everyday and other than straightening out the far door that give access to pumps, only cosmetic but it bugs me, it ready to roll another week without worries. We do alot of clearing and stump digging, so i cannot operate without thumb so that would be a must to have and it needs to be factory fitted is best. You already spending a bundle so get a machine with one. I would have thought alot more guys would have jumped on this thread, if nothing else but to brag on the brand of machine. I am having a good year and sold a piece off cut-over (raped) land ,that was left for vines and undesirable volenteers to slow its production for years. I put in good roads and basically made a nice piece of land, so i need to buy befor taxman comeith. I would love to hear from the Cat guys on how they feel and the cost of compariable CAT machine. I am going to look at used Kobelco 210 so i let you know and send pics with price.

highpockets2

Keep me posted,if you would. I appreciate the replys,have decided to hold for now , I am uncomfortable with the amount I will have invested this year and with elections/winter coming,I think its safer to put some more in the bank and see how it looks come spring.if the need still exists,I will decide then.As a side note,went and looked at several USED pieces local,people seem to think pressure wash and spray paint equals $75K ??? Ill just continue to save and put more into it in spring I think,no thanks ! Best of luck on your search !