• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Kobelco/Komatsu buckets on Deere/Hitachi?

digistump

I recently got a very good deal on a fully working ~1982 Hitachi UH07-5LC (aka UH082) - a 200 size machine - with a hydraulic thumb and 7ft clean out bucket for clearing 12 acres for pastures and a homesite (basement and trenching), and doing other farm things (have 160 acres with gravel pit) at least as long as I can keep it running.

Now I need to find a digging bucket in the 24" - 36" range because things like the septic perc holes and electrical ditches need to be within that size range. Of course a $3k+ bucket doesn't appeal to me since that is nearly half what I paid for the machine - so I'm looking for a cheap one. I haven't had much luck finding a Deere/Hitachi bucket for this size machine (80mm pins) that doesn't cost a fortune. I've found some CAT buckets that are pretty expensive still. And I've found a few Kobelco/Komatsu buckets that are cheap (under $1k).

The machine does not have a quick change, but all the pins are tight and hardware fully intact.

Using this chart: http://www.southerncraneandtractor.com/assets/Pin_size_Chart.pdf

It seems 200 Deere buckets should be a perfect fit. What about 160/225 buckets? They have the same sizes except pin centers? (160 is 15.39", 200 is 18.58", and 225 is 18.74")

What about CAT buckets (and Case which seem to be the same sizes)? CAT 318-322 Blink have 80mm pins but the stick and link widths are 0.1" more and pin centers different (17-19") - could I use those? Would I need new bucket pins? I read somewhere that pin centers don't matter too much - but don't know what too much is?

What about the C link CATs - they have 13.77" stick and link widths - that is quite a bit more ~1.7" - would those work with longer bucket pins?

Kobelco/Komatsu 200 size seems in between with 12.87 stick and link widths (0.7" more than the hitachi) - again would that work with longer bucket pins? Pin centers are 17.4" vs Hitachi's 18.58" would that be OK?

Just trying to wrap my head around how universal - or not - these buckets are before I buy one, haul it home, only to not be able to get it to fit.

Thanks in advance for any advice!!

Of course - if anyone knows of any Uh082/Uh07-5 parts machines with or without buckets I'd love to hear about those too - saw a parts one with bucket on Craigslist in Camano, WA but didn't get mine bought before the ad expired - boy am I regretting not contacting them sooner.

Thanks,
Erik