• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Keeping your sanity

92U 3406

Occupation
Wrench Bender
Kinda looking for some advice from other mechanics/tradespeople. The last month or so work has just gotten me wound right up. Is it common for most mechanic shops to be a complete disorganized mess in terms of communication? It just seems like its a constant battle to get anything done. Everything from wrong parts being ordered to getting half-assed cross shift notes (if any at all) to having to do 4 other people's jobs. What's the best way to stay sane in a circus like this?

Shimmy1

Incompetence is/has become an epidemic in this country. I've been ordering parts for just shy of 25 years, and anymore I only have a couple of parts guys I truly trust. I realize that equipment is getting more and more complicated, but these guys should have a handle on things after a year in the saddle. Also, I think parts lookup was easier on paper or microfiche, because the people that wrote it were at the top of the food chain, not some wet behind the ears 20-something computer programmer.

On second thought, I'm going to stop there. I'm not saying anything new here, in fact, after a while it begins to sound like a broken record. The only thing you can do it just deal with it, and make sure the foreskin knows that the holdups are not your fault without becoming the squeaky wheel. Figure that one out and you'll be a hero.

crewchief888

personally, i stopped giving a rats ass about what anyone else is/was doing. theres NOTHING i can do about it, thats managements problem.
to put it simply, i do my job, and do my best to take care of the calls i have scheduled led for the day, i check in with my boss when i need to, ( he knows where i am, we gave GPS on all our trucks). i look up my own parts, (even out in the field), if the part dept screws that up, it's not my fault....
ive been at const eq dealerships for over 30 years, going on 20 at the current (and last) dealer. many years ago i spent time caring about what someone else did, it led to a LOT of drinking, which wasnt good for my heath....
probably the most important is not to bring work issues home, when i get out of my truck at the end of the day, i flip the switch, and not even think about whats been doing on during the day....

:eek:

92U 3406

Occupation
Wrench Bender
I think its just more frustration than anything else. I'm only one guy and I guess if management was concerned with paying me 2 hours a day to do someone else's job they'd have rectified it by now lol.

I'm mainly just wondering if this is common in this industry. I've worked at a couple places in my near decade of doing this and so far its about 50/50 in terms of organized shops/chaotic shops.

Vetech63

It should be mandatory that parts people have a service background. Most can't find anything without a part number, and usually they can't find that either.

thepumpguysc

Occupation
Master Inj.Pump rebuilder
LOL!!! don't get ME started.. THATS WHY I QUIT after 22 years at the same company..
It got SOOOO BAD I couldn't take it anymore.. & when I "tried" to say something about it, my emotions would take over & I'd start yelling & screaming & cussin'.. & then the boss would start to laugh.. & say, whadda want me to do about it?? How about your f'n job??!! It went down hill from there..
BUT yes.. its gotten more & more common place to deal w/ idiots & morons & people that don't give a rats azz about what their doin & who it effects..
I always said.. the guythat's doin the complaining,IS THE GUY THAT CARES.. but when other people in the same company tell you to let it go, theres nothing you can do about it.. HEED the words & let it go & just do you job the best you can..
I couldn't so I left..

AzIron

it comes down to accountability and when the boss is in over his head in problems no one gets held accountable and everyone suffers from it. i have also learned most places operate from the top down meaning if the service floor is that way then middle and upper management are to. you wont fix it on the service floor (unless the service manager is really good) until it gets fixed upstairs. you just have to let it go or find somewhere else to work because unless you become the boss you wont fix it

Truck Shop

Like I tell everyone {when the job is finished and it goes out the door it has my name on it}. But when you work with Zero's it will bring the shops reputation down.
I run our fleet shop and parts salesman that I deal with know not to jack me around and I suppose most think I'm a total jack a$$. But I don't care my job is to find
problems before they happen and to keep things rolling. Each job that comes in the door I have a plan and work the plan. I have and will argue with corporate morons
at the drop of a hat. If I have to make waves so be it, I go home each day feeling OK knowing I did the best I could that day. I think about tomorrow-tomorrow.
The boss likes what I do-or at least he seams to.:p

Truck Shop

92U 3406

Occupation
Wrench Bender
Some good advice here for sure. I don't neccessarily hate the job and I certainly don't want to quit (yet). When I'm left alone to organize my own work and handle the job start to finish I actually have a lot of fun.

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
It is what it is. Not everybody sees things like you do, or like I do. There are times I feel the same way. At the end of the day do the best you can and cover your a$$. Rasing kids really helps you with that stuff lol. They always want to pass the buck or kick the can down the road to the next one in line. I can't count the number of times I've told them "You just worry about you". So I've learned to practice what I preach. It's frustrating as hell sometimes I know. Part of growing up a reckon. We never quit that!

Jumbo

Occupation
retired
Here is my (worthless) opinion based on running electrical work in the construction industry for 35 years:

First of all, 95% if not more will work their hearts out for you given adequate leadership, a decent supply of material along with enough tools and information to do the job.
After that, it is a management issue. When you look at a job that lost money, the first thing everyone looks at is the labor cost. The labor cost will always be over budget on a looser. As management come down to slap people around, I like to point out the “little things;” the bid had 4,000 feet of 3” pipe, we actually installed 40,000 feet. Estimator could not multiply. You can only do what you can do. I worked with people who kept minute diaries of what they did over the years. And what people did working for them. One person when sent to a job, with the budget for the job called back within 12 hours and told the boss the job was in the hole 1.26 million. The boss called him every flavor of liar, he quit right then and when the job was done, they were in the hole almost 2 million. He knew his true labor rates.

In mechanic work, I can only guess that the book rate is wildly uneven compared to actual rates. If management is honest, they will listen, if they are not, nothing you say will convince them that people are not goofing off on the job. The nice thing about being an electrician, when I quit, all I need is my overalls, my lunch bucket and my bag of hand tools. As a mechanic, you have a lot more tools to load out. I went to work one morning thinking I was going to quit at the end of the month about two weeks away and give them the notice. By starting time (7 AM) I had shortened it up to the end of the day by 7:10 AM, I was headed down the road to a new job. Most are not as fortunate as I was to have that ability.

As I retired, what I observed and part of the cause of my retirement was the unreasonable expectations by management of it’s workforce. That becomes a recipe for disaster and the closure of the company. Moral of the story; keep you lunch close and your tools packed up tight.

Truck Shop

My shortest time on a job {20 some minutes}. I was unloading my tools and the shop mgr started laying out more regulations. As soon as he said no swearing in shop I knew
it was time to move on.

Truck Shop

thepumpguysc

Occupation
Master Inj.Pump rebuilder
LOL.. I came from a small shop where it was ALL guys, we were young AND white.. if you know what I mean?? it was nothing to start a sentence w/ hey a-hole.. & end it w/ you mfer.. the f bombs & the N word were common place..
THEN after 16 years of that crap, I went to a corporate environment, where white was the minority & the work force was 50% women..
I had a difficult time my 1st week & was told by an elderly gentleman> we don't talk like THAT here..
I learned to bit my tongue & ended up fitting in quite nicely..
THEN after 3 years I went back to the sh*t hole & the language slapped me in the face my 1st day back..
..Especially coming from the managers.. I thought> did I really sound like that?? WOW..
I'm no prude by any stretch of the imagination & can layum down w/ the best of'm.. but after 3 years of not having to talk like THAT, you learn to pick your words "alittle" better..

92U 3406

Occupation
Wrench Bender
I cuss a fair amount. Funny thing is the moment a woman is within earshot, I stop cussing without any trouble. I've actually gone out with women that thought I was a prude or a churchboy or something like that lol.

Truck Shop

Sometimes people just don't get it though until you lay a few choice words on them.

Years ago I worked at a shop that had a strange/oddball fellow working there. He wouldn't say Sh!t if
he had a mouth full, he wouldn't talk to anybody stayed off by himself. One Monday morning the
shop boss came out and huddled everyone but the strange ranger wasn't there. We were told he
went home on Friday evening and proceeded to beat his wife til he damn near killed her.
The boss told everyone{ if you have an issue blow it off at work don't take it home with you and
that's an order}

Truck Shop

Tarhe Driver

Occupation
Comm. Real Est Appraiser-Retired cargo/helo pilot
LOL.. I came from a small shop where it was ALL guys, we were young AND white.. if you know what I mean?? it was nothing to start a sentence w/ hey a-hole.. & end it w/ you mfer.. the f bombs & the N word were common place..
THEN after 16 years of that crap, I went to a corporate environment, where white was the minority & the work force was 50% women..
I had a difficult time my 1st week & was told by an elderly gentleman> we don't talk like THAT here..
I learned to bit my tongue & ended up fitting in quite nicely..
THEN after 3 years I went back to the sh*t hole & the language slapped me in the face my 1st day back..
..Especially coming from the managers.. I thought> did I really sound like that?? WOW..
I'm no prude by any stretch of the imagination & can layum down w/ the best of'm.. but after 3 years of not having to talk like THAT, you learn to pick your words "alittle" better..

As a lurker on this forum, a retired GI (army), and a long-time officer worker who's certainly not a prude, I do appreciate that cussing on this forum tends to be reserved for when it's really needed. IMHO, cussing just to cuss is a sign of immaturity. As my SC neighbor says, "learn to pick you words alittle better!"

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
Kinda looking for some advice from other mechanics/tradespeople. The last month or so work has just gotten me wound right up. Is it common for most mechanic shops to be a complete disorganized mess in terms of communication? It just seems like its a constant battle to get anything done. Everything from wrong parts being ordered to getting half-assed cross shift notes (if any at all) to having to do 4 other people's jobs. What's the best way to stay sane in a circus like this?

My gut feeling is that if you have to ask a question about your sanity at a workplace, the answer is already pretty clear.