• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Keeping oil in a K19

Jock

Anyone have experience with keeping oil in a K19?

In particular oil leaking from the head gaskets; block is in very good condition, liner heights slightly below spec, using industrial gaskets now rather than genset gaskets and they are still weaping slightly

I put a slight smear of Hylomar around the fire ring surface apart from that no sealant added

Any tips or tricks?

Thanks

StanRUS

K19 which large counter bore - small counter bore? Do you have any cracked head bolt holes; crack extending into the counterbore?
Before installing the heads, make sure all oil-water residues are out of the head bolt holes; oil bolts' threads & underside of head bolt seat with clean 30W oil & torque per sequence 50ft lbs steps until final torque then re-torque.
Make sure your torque wrench is calibrated!
If the head bolts have been reused a lot they'll be stretched & should be replaced.

Jock

K19 which large counter bore - small counter bore? Do you have any cracked head bolt holes; crack extending into the counterbore?
Before installing the heads, make sure all oil-water residues are out of the head bolt holes; oil bolts' threads & underside of head bolt seat with clean 30W oil & torque per sequence 50ft lbs steps until final torque then re-torque.
Make sure your torque wrench is calibrated!
If the head bolts have been reused a lot they'll be stretched & should be replaced.

When you say counterbore, are you talking about the counterbore for the head bolts?

All holes blown out with solvent and compressed air, bolts are the longer ones found in later model engines 2004 on (203mm). I did measure them and they were still within spec. They've been used 4-5 times now

So far the last 3 I've done haven't leaked yet

What's the last tension you have? 410ft/lb?

Reckon I'll forget using Hylomar, the only ones I've seen leak have had Hylomar on the gaskets

StanRUS

When you say counterbore, are you talking about the counterbore for the head bolts?
What's the last tension you have? 410ft/lb?
K19 engines had 2 different cylinder liner counter bore diameters, depths etc; Komatsu, Darlington fixes etc.
400-410ft lbs final torque is correct.