• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

KATO Equipment

Catsparky1

there isn't a dealer within 1200 miles of me so that's a negative . Ive heard good and bad about the older ones but nothing about the new ones . Kato bought IHI and lots of rental houses rented them . Ran a couple of those and they were ok . Nothing bad nothing good just ok .

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
I had an older J series IHI which was a mid 1990's made machine. That machine had 4 pumps, and I thought then and even years later would say that the multifunctioning and feel of that machine is as good as any mini I have run (and I have run many). I base my decision off a now old machine but thought that machine was certainly at that time, exceptional in the way it operated. I haven't run one since the early 20's and it was a 80NX. They are true Japanese machine sin my view, that have little NA influence especially inside the cab. The results of that is a very spartan interior. Purely functional, no fluff, no additional comfort features like you see in other machines. I assume Kato, which is as I understand solely a name change, that the IHI philosophy still continues. That said, I haven't run a newer IHI/Kato. I received great service from CES when I owned one. However, dealer support has always been the issue with IHI/Kato, the machines themselves, from a functionality standpoint could and I assume still can, run with anything on the market.

MG84

From what I have seen the new Kato machine are simple, no frills, but good Japanese quality. My brother frequently rents a 3.5t Kato mini and says it works fine, however he does marvel at how smooth and fast my Kubota is when he uses it. That said, I'd gladly take a Kato over a Sany any day of the week.