• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Just some work pics

crane operator

Everytime I make fun of tradesman's weather, I get nailed myself. Today it was rain and mud. Thank goodness it was solid underneath, just greasy on top.

Elevator shaft, cylinder for the elevator. In the rain, and yes I got soaked. At least it was right close to the shop- I got to go home and change clothes afterwards. I hope my boots have dried out by tomorrow.
20171114_093512.jpg 20171114_093747.jpg 20171114_100338.jpg

crane operator

The ironworkers had their little boom truck there, I think they need a collection taken up, for some funds for some new 4x4's, theirs are getting a little rotten.

20171114_094621.jpg 20171114_094615.jpg

crane operator

I did get a driveway the other day too. I knew it before we ever went in there, brand new driveway, and they needed manbasket work, to put the last of the gutter on the backside of the house. It was 4 stories back there, and the ground was just too steep, and they were too lazy to pump jack it.

I had them sign off a hold harmless on the driveway before I set up, and only cracked it up under my left rear jack. Afterwards they told me that's where the water line trench was to the house. Nobody was real concerned about the crack, but I still was glad I warned them before, and had them sign off (sub, and general contractor).

I was going to take the 25, but there wasn't room to do jib, and it was a good thing, because they went across the whole back of the house doing gutter guard, and I was close to 90' radius on the far corner.

I did plywood and aluminums trying to spread out the push, and used a old billboard tarp to keep the detroit from marking her territory on the new pavement. The crack was about a 8' circle.

20171113_093458.jpg 20171113_093513.jpg

crane operator

Did get a scale set this afternoon at the local garbage transfer, never mind that powerline that's in the middle of the new scale, to the old scale house. Yes, it was a big pain.

20171114_154157.jpg 20171114_154201.jpg

crane operator

Got to raise the other side of the goofy roof this week. They were a little more organized, but I still didn't get out of their lot before dark. I had to go get the crane the next morning.

They haven't gotten much better at cutting I-beam straight, the last picture is one of the pieces they made to insert, they ended up cutting it again.

20171115_105834.jpg 20171115_154637.jpg 20171115_154641.jpg 20171115_124644.jpg

Last edited:

crane operator

Finished out the week with some trusses. A retired crane operator lived just down the street, so he came down to keep a eye on me.

I set up in the driveway first and set the garage trusses on main boom, they were all laid on the ground, where I needed to set up for the main house. They offered to move the whole stack, so I would only have to set up once, but I figured it would be quicker to move the crane and just set them, than move them all.

The house sits right next to a helicopter ambulance pad. Its all retired people that live down there, the one retired guy said the helicopter showed up 5 times in the last year (we were the show for the morning- maybe the highlight of their month- everyone came down on their golf carts). Somehow I don't think the helicopter is going to be great for the new houses shingles, but it isn't my house.

20171116_101241.jpg 20171116_101909.jpg 20171116_101919.jpg 20171116_130223.jpg

Tradesman

Occupation
Contractor
The ironworkers had their little boom truck there, I think they need a collection taken up, for some funds for some new 4x4's, theirs are getting a little rotten.

View attachment 175105 View attachment 175106
My everyday go to 24" square laminated form plywood pads are getting round corners and getting tough looking and after seeing your post I got thinking they don't last forever so I priced some commercially available plastic pads yikes, so I made a visit to one of the local Mennonite shops I bought a full 4x8 sheet of 1 1/2" black plastic of the same material that my commercial pad are made of they are cutting 3 - 32" round pads and making some dunage pieces out of the drop. "Round pads so I can handle them a bit easier". For less than 1/2 in CND $ of what I would of had to pay in US $ plus shipping ( to lazy to do the conversion) and as far as traceability there are no identifying marks on my commercial pads. I plan on using them as my daily pads I was thinking it would save a lot of those times when I put my 24" pads down and end up replacing them with my 75 lb. large plywood pads. I'll make do with three of them for now till I know if I like them. Then either buy three more or get a commercial one to make a full set.

Tradesman

Occupation
Contractor
I had them sign off a hold harmless on the driveway before I set up, and only cracked it up under my left rear jack. Afterwards they told me that's where the water line trench was to the house. Nobody was real concerned about the crack, but I still was glad I warned them before, and had them sign off (sub, and general contractor).
As a general, building a new house for someone I could see a jack hammer in my future!

crane operator

New exhaust fan for a mexican place. This spot is kind of a pain to do jib in , with the trees and sidewalks, but the street isn't wide enough for the 70 ton, and I even had to get a little creative for the 35 outrigger up on a curb.
You don't want to get into the grass, there's sprinklers everywhere.
20171130_081134.jpg 20171130_081538.jpg 20171130_083105.jpg

crane operator

Been helping out my son a little, he lost the motor in his first car, a 3.8 v6 in a camaro. The wife's old bonneville was setting in the weeds with a good 3.8, so jim and I dropped it out. I told my son I'd help, but it's his repair problem, and he's not moving fast enough on it for my tastes, but its hard for me to butt out. I keep telling myself not to take over and just fix it, but its not easy.

20171120_143650.jpg 20171120_143718.jpg 20171122_144430.jpg

Hank R

Occupation
Retired Truck driver and School bus driver
Just a dumb question a motor from a front wheel drive car to rear wheel drive is there a ton of extra work in the cross over????

Tradesman

Occupation
Contractor
Just a dumb question a motor from a front wheel drive car to rear wheel drive is there a ton of extra work in the cross over????
Do tell I was wondering the same. Should you use a trim hammer or a framing hammer?

crane operator

Also got the little boom truck swivel installed. Stripped down the deck this afternoon, got the new tread plate fenders ordered.

I found a different hyd. tank, I think we're going to try to slip it between the lower cab and the frame of the crane, freeing up the old hyd tank spot, for a wood rack. I'm not throwing wood off and on that tall deck. Going to put the rigging box on the passenger side up on the deck. I'd rather snake a couple straps up high than throw wood. The aluminum pad racks are where I'm putting the ladders.

I think we are going to put in a ladder like tradesman has built into his deck when we build the new fenders, the little flip down ladders always get ripped off by guys driving off and leaving them down.

Picked up a pair of used aluminum budd's, I've got two more in the back corner of the shop, and I got new inner studs. Going to install them on the outside of the drives. They're pretty oxidized, I talked to a A/C repair guy, he said some coil cleaner acid would help clean them up.

20171130_145850.jpg 20171130_145905.jpg
This little gap between the cab and the outrigger boxes is where I'm going to put the tank. Its wasted space , that I'd like to use.

20171130_145936.jpg 20171130_145940.jpg

crane operator

The 3.8's from that time all use the same block, its just everything else is different. I had the bonneville after my wife got t-boned, bought it from ins. company. I figured my boy's got more time than $ right now, so we stripped the bonneville motor to block and heads, its basically free to him.

The intake, exhaust, valve covers, water pump, acc. drive system and all the electrical will come from the camaro. I think I'm going to go ahead and put head gaskets in it now, its only a few more bolts while were this far. Wait- its not my project.........

Tradesman

Occupation
Contractor
Also got the little boom truck swivel installed. Stripped down the deck this afternoon, got the new tread plate fenders ordered.

I found a different hyd. tank, I think we're going to try to slip it between the lower cab and the frame of the crane, freeing up the old hyd tank spot, for a wood rack. I'm not throwing wood off and on that tall deck. Going to put the rigging box on the passenger side up on the deck. I'd rather snake a couple straps up high than throw wood. The aluminum pad racks are where I'm putting the ladders.

I think we are going to put in a ladder like tradesman has built into his deck when we build the new fenders, the little flip down ladders always get ripped off by guys driving off and leaving them down.

Picked up a pair of used aluminum budd's, I've got two more in the back corner of the shop, and I got new inner studs. Going to install them on the outside of the drives. They're pretty oxidized, I talked to a A/C repair guy, he said some coil cleaner acid would help clean them up.

View attachment 175653 View attachment 175654
This little gap between the cab and the outrigger boxes is where I'm going to put the tank. Its wasted space , that I'd like to use.

View attachment 175655 View attachment 175656
Nice you got some skills man :eek:

crane operator

Speaking of next little project, stopped by the motor core place the other day, when I was in springfield, picking up new budd studs for the mack. Wanted to see what they had for jakes for my little mack, and what they had for my 3406 when I open it up.

Said the mack jakes are real hard to come by, they don't deal much with those engines. Parts for the 3406 are not terrible to come up with, regular jakes are around, what he called the "super" jakes for the cat are much more rare. He listed the part # but its already escaped me.

He said all the old stuff right now is going overseas, they're buying up all the old mechanical stuff (africa- south america, mexico) because its easier to keep running. He mentioned one buyer that is taking much newer trucks, removing the electronic motors, and installing old big cam's and 3406's, I think that was africa.

He said one of the odd one's he's been asked about a lot lately is 7.8 ford's (the brazilian). I only remember seeing them in ford 7 and 8000's, but he said the tractor pulling guys are running some, and he's got guys looking for pistons, and other parts. Maybe its the same guy calling him all the time, because he forgot who he's already called looking for parts.

This is the place that came through for me, when I needed bell housings for my 8.3's, when converting them from allison's to eaton manual's. They had a whole rack of bellhousings that I dug through with a tape measure and a idea of where I wanted the starter location.

20171129_142827.jpg 20171129_142830.jpg

crane operator

Loaded out a old lp tank this morning. They had been using it as a fuel tank at a quarry, but needed to move it to cut the cliff down for more rock. The face on the other side is probably 80' up.

Ended up just tandem picking it with the two 25 ton cranes. I could have lifted it with my 35, but I figured that as I spun, the other end of the tank would have bound me up on the cliff face. There wasn't room to set the 70 ton up, and get the trailer beside me, and if it was heavy wall tank, I wouldn't be able to pick it from the end. Lucky for me I had other options.

20171205_081634.jpg 20171205_090039.jpg 20171205_090052.jpg 20171205_090055.jpg