• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Just some work pics

Impact

Occupation
Owner
I'm sure the homeowner in the photo could have signaled for you and saved that $100.

crane operator

I'm sure the homeowner in the photo could have signaled for you and saved that $100.

Yeah, they had to move their $70,000 diesel pickup grocery getter, out of the way of their $500,000 house, and couldn't spare the extra for a signalman. How's harvest?

crane operator

Got back late from building Christmas tree, and had a emergency pick, I figured if I had to hang the moon, I better make it a tandem pick.

Actually, they're both setting boom up, because they both have the swivel's out of them right now, I'm going to have to hurry, I need the grove 35ton on wed.

20171029_183230.jpg

20171029_183244.jpg

Impact

Occupation
Owner
Yeah, they had to move their $70,000 diesel pickup grocery getter, out of the way of their $500,000 house, and couldn't spare the extra for a signalman. How's harvest?
Harvest is winding down. Crews are finishing up punch list items. I am looking for next years work

crane operator

Set another memorial stone at a private campground. People with memberships in the campground can pay to have someone who served, engraved on the stone. When they get enough names/ sponsorships made up to have another stone made, they get another one engraved. They have their name, service, rank, and years served.

We've set six stones with names (each stone has 93 names), and the main entrance stone. Usually set about one a year or so. There's a 130' flagpole behind the main stone, then service flags each way.

20171030_103749.jpg 20171030_104001.jpg 20171030_104754.jpg 20171030_104801.jpg

crane operator

Put the swivel in the 35 this afternoon. Hoses on, electric/ air hooked up. Putting in oil in the morning and testing it all out.

20171030_160141.jpg 20171030_160151.jpg

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
Looks like fun!

Those number tags sure come in handy on a job like that. Just have to get things clean and dry so they will stick.

When working on a bunch of hoses in a nasty greasy machine the assorted colored zip-ties were always handy. Even then I liked to make a sketch of the valve body with the colors of the hose to each fitting. If you need more colors than the number in the bag just combine two red/yellow green/blue and so on.

crane operator

If you peer down in on those hoses, you'll see some of your colored zip ties. A old mechanic I used to work with had a chunk of old telephone wire, it had every color of the rainbow, and he would use it to mark hoses.

I also like to make a picture/drawing when I pull something apart with a lot of connections. I've also on some things, taken a cell phone picture. Who knows when you'll get back to putting it back together, waiting for parts/ etc.

My mechanic guy likes to just pull things apart and hope for the best (he's got a better memory than I do), but I've had to figure a couple things out when he had them put back together wrong, then I raise cain, about marking and drawing pictures.

I did get it back together this morning, everything works wiring wise, and we've got a little seep at the bottom of the can where it joins the base, it was pretty cold this morning, so I'm hoping it just has to settle itself in.

crane operator

I posted this picture a while back of a local dirt worker's small oops. Buddy informed me they had just bought the crusher.

I went by today and took pictures of the aftermath on the trailer, its got a pretty good tweak put in it. Looks like most of the twist is in the gooseneck. Truck doesn't look too bad from the other side.

2017092795095326-jpg.173664

20171031_133914.jpg

crane operator

looks very sad, what happened? How did it overturn?

Its a steep road at a cross slope to the quarry road. He drives like a idiot also. He was probably giving it the throttle coming out of the quarry road, and it bounced a little coming onto the main road, and turning on air bag suspension and presto- instant scrap metal.
He hauled my Rt crane for me on one job we did for them, before I had my lowboy. I gave him the option of hauling it himself, or having my regular guy haul it. That was the first and last time he hauled for me. He's got a employee that does a good job, but the owner is the one that can't drive.

crane operator

Built this goofy roof awning this summer, and surprise, part of it is too flat and won't drain water. They had the bright idea to cut the support legs on one side, raise it up to get it to drain water, and add to the legs.

A local sign outfit I work with came to do the cutting and welding. They've got a new guy, and he's got his own goofy ideas about cutting and joining I-beams and ironworking.

I ended up calling his boss and telling him to send someone else out, because the new guy was just making a mess out of the whole thing.

It was kind of awkward, the welder wasn't my employee, but I know his boss pretty well. I tried several times to give a little "advice", which he promptly ignored and did what he thought best. I finally just took some pictures and texted them to his boss, and he sent some other guys out, and we cut out the other mess.

20171102_103314.jpg 20171102_121128.jpg 20171102_121139.jpg

Last edited:

crane operator

He somehow had the idea, that after raising one side, he could get the I-beams to line back up, by me just swinging it back over. We added 13" of height, and I tried to explain how that just made the whole roof shorter, he said he could ratchet strap it back together. It started out when I told him to make the initial cut at the top of the column, so he could just add to the column, and everything would stay straight. He decided to cut it a foot down.

He kept on making a mess and I finally got sick of it and sent these pictures to his boss.

This is the mess he ended up with:

20171102_145201.jpg 20171102_152456.jpg 20171102_153418.jpg 20171102_182155.jpg

Tradesman

Occupation
Contractor
:confused::confused:
He somehow had the idea, that after raising one side, he could get the I-beams to line back up, by me just swinging it back over. We added 13" of height, and I tried to explain how that just made the whole roof shorter, he said he could ratchet strap it back together. It started out when I told him to make the initial cut at the top of the column, so he could just add to the column, and everything would stay straight. He decided to cut it a foot down.

He kept on making a mess and I finally got sick of it and sent these pictures to his boss.

This is the mess he ended up with:

View attachment 174839 View attachment 174840 View attachment 174841 View attachment 174842
That's some nice work! Maybe he's an abstract artist and he's just expressing himself.

Hank R

Occupation
Retired Truck driver and School bus driver
Crane Operator you get some of the most interesting job there ever are, thanks for letting us in your world...

crane operator

I was having a better day than the mason's manlift though- that fog in the middle of the boom is hydraulic oil. They let it spray for quite a while, I was on the horn trying to get them to shut it down, it sprayed hydraulic oil all over the new stucco wall.

They got the emergency squad out:

20171103_154456.jpg 20171103_155318.jpg 20171103_163904.jpg 20171103_153238.jpg